Waypoints?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Historiker

Waypoints?

Post by Historiker »

I've read somewhere, that one can set waypoints for ships. How?
I've tried Shift, Alt and Strg + leftclick, but it doesn't work.
How?
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
niceguy2005

RE: Waypoints?

Post by niceguy2005 »

There are no way points in this game.

You can simulate one waypoint by setting

a. destination = to the waypoint hex you want
b. home port = to a port you want to go to
c. the TF to "retire"
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

That's the way, I did it already :(
But thanks...
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

That's the only way...
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

grumpyman

Post by grumpyman »

There is also some nastiness in the direction the AI will retire ships.  For example I lost a BB doing a bombardment of Buna.  The Path I had going in hugged the coast of NG and had an air umbrella over it.  My surface fleets home port was Noumea.  After the bombardment the TF retired out into the middle of the Solomon Sea out of air cover.  Every betty in range converged and pummeled my BB with torpedoes.  I learned after that to set the home port to Cairns when Bombarding on the Northern side of NG and resetting the home port to Noumea after clearing the area.  This game does seriously need waypoints.
Fokkov2

Post by Fokkov2 »

Please give us waypoints [&o]
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Yes, well, i think they've been requested since well before even UV came out - so be sure to hold your breath!! [:'(]
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

I also wonder, why I can't force units without fuel to hold place on sea. I once had hidden Cruisers in the bay in north-eastern Australia, because there where carriers on both sides of the street between PN and AUS. The unit always tried to sail straight to the enemy...

Do the developers include features, that the players suggest? I.e. I really wonder why one can't convert G3N to L3Y or why there is no option "upgrade all aircraft of this type to chosen, so that I would have to select everey unit by hand...

rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Historiker

I also wonder, why I can't force units without fuel to hold place on sea. I once had hidden Cruisers in the bay in north-eastern Australia, because there where carriers on both sides of the street between PN and AUS. The unit always tried to sail straight to the enemy...

Do the developers include features, that the players suggest? I.e. I really wonder why one can't convert G3N to L3Y or why there is no option "upgrade all aircraft of this type to chosen, so that I would have to select everey unit by hand...

You should be able to do the first by PATROL DO NOT RETIRE.

The second you can accomplish quickly by sorting your aircraft by type, then you can quickly move down the list, not taking more than a minute or so.

We have only so many resources to use in development, and right now they are used to fix bugs, not add more features.
Rafael Warsaw

Post by Rafael Warsaw »

No, You can not hold TFs without fuel in one place. Even with Patrol command.
Add to this really nasty way the AI is handling TFs course and You are in deep trouble.
Always keep an eye on endurance. Always.
IJArmy: 10% of Planning, 90% of Faith. BANZAI!
"A long and studied assessment of your situation, fabertong leads me to reach the unescapable conclusion that your fcuked mate. Hope this helps." by Raverdave.
Rafael Warsaw

Post by Rafael Warsaw »

Historiker:

This game has a user hostile interface. Get used to it. Its a fact.

No simplest developements like double click or multiple selection are implemented.
Yes, You have to scroll and click many times more than in the simplest shareware arcade game.
Yes it sucks in my humble opinion,
No they are not going to change this.

IJArmy: 10% of Planning, 90% of Faith. BANZAI!
"A long and studied assessment of your situation, fabertong leads me to reach the unescapable conclusion that your fcuked mate. Hope this helps." by Raverdave.
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Rafael Warsaw

Add to this really nasty way the AI is handling TFs course and You are in deep trouble.

Yes, you need fuel - to try to hold ships on station without fuel is... ill advised.

EDIT:
But:
i will point out that at no time did Historiker say he was trying this with a unit that was low on fuel.

Panther Bait

Post by Panther Bait »

ORIGINAL: Rafael Warsaw

The only thing that can help with this is to set the TF's home port as close as possible when you select Patrol-Do Not Retire, since the low fuel patrol-override is based on the distance to the home port (not necessarily the closest).

Of course this doesn't help if you are far from any friendly port or really low on fuel.
When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard
dtravel

Post by dtravel »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

The second you can accomplish quickly by sorting your aircraft by type, then you can quickly move down the list, not taking more than a minute or so.

We have only so many resources to use in development, and right now they are used to fix bugs, not add more features.

i will point out that at no time did Historiker say he was trying this with a unit that was low on fuel.

Yes, he did say that.
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Ian R

Post by Ian R »

The other thing you can do to simulate way points is to tell a transport TF to Remain on station when it gets to the XXYY location. Then give it another XXYY location, still remaining on station.

If you forget about it for a while it will just sit there until it gets low on fuel - but the cargo vessels take a while to do that.
"I am Alfred"
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

It could be that his TF is reacting to enemy forces. Don't forget to set reaction range to 0 if you don't want your TF to move...

fair winds,
Brad

Return to “The War Room”