German HMG's

Please post here for questions and discussion about general game modding

Moderator: Jason Petho

sfinlay

RE: German HMG's

Post by sfinlay »

Ladmo

I'd be happy to help out. Only thing is I  would have to put it on hold for a few weeks. Not a cop-out, just that I have far too much on at the moment and then i'll be on holiday for a couple of weeks at the end of July.
That said, I would lke to give the .bit files a go. As far as i'm aware the are just simplified .bmp files (just two colors) and they look as if they might be simpler to deal with. (famous last words) Interestingly the "tutorial" that comes with the encoder/decoder software shows an alternative to using full outlines for units, using squares instead.
Any help/pointers from you or anyone else would be very helpful and feel free to e-mail anytime.

And lets see if anyone else wants to sign up as well.
Ladmo

Post by Ladmo »

Scotsman,

Sounds like a plan - and do not concern yourself with not being able to jump right into this. We all love the game, but we all have real lives which must come first.

You raise an interesting point with the op.bit. I did do a set once that were simple lines under the figure. I did not have to make many, as one usually worked on a dozen other bmps. I just renamed them. What would you think of that.

Hopefully someone out there will join in. We need all the help we can get. I've done a fair amount of German infantry and artillery stuff, mainly late war and winter. And I may have some modified American armour (foliage, damage, equipment.) I think the American infantry is pretty much okay. I hate the current Russian infantry and would like to see it modified. The French and Italian and British need re-colouring but are otherwise not too bad. For some reason I can't stand some of the British artillery.

It almost seems as if Talonsoft orginally went for a toy soldiers look to the infantry. Some of the poses come directly from the wonderful Airfix sets of the late 1960s and early 1970s. I think we should go for the painted miniature look.

I'd like to know your thoughts, what you would like to see done. Finland is also on my hit list because that far of the war fascinates me. Tomorrow I shall go up to the Patton Museum (I live 30 miles from Fort Knox, Kentucky) and I hope seeing the tanks will inspire me. They have what may be the only Panther II in existence there.

Enjoy your holiday.
"The world is not divided into East and West anymore; it is divided into North and South..."
sfinlay

Post by sfinlay »

Ladmo

Agree, we should go for the painted miniature look.

I'm hoping that most of the graphic changes will be minor as far as the .bit files go. Most of your mods are to do with changes in colouring etc. I'm thinking e.g. changes to vehicles such as gun lengths would not be a major problem to change corresponding .bit files.

As for any wholesale new graphics i'm not sure how to do the bit files from scratch. I suspect it could be done using layers in a graphics package, "tracing" around a bmp file ?? I'll have a look into this but if anyone knows an easier way or how it was originaly done, please feel free to chip in.

I'll send you an e-mail to set run a few  ideas by you, if that's alright?
Jarexx

Post by Jarexx »

Some captured Artillery.

Bunker

Jarexx aka Raven
Ladmo

Post by Ladmo »

Scotmans,

By all means, email me. I look forward to chatting with you. I 'll respond to your most recent points then, but once again - your thinking really does reflect mine in these matters.

"The world is not divided into East and West anymore; it is divided into North and South..."
big dawg

Post by big dawg »

Hello guys.

I saw Flying Scotsman post and I too feel the urge to change the MG icon.  I like Steve's work, but this unit drives me nuts!  The original is much easier on my eyes. 

I think I fixed the EF game by replacing UP01213 file with the original file from the EF disc.  I tried to do the same w/ the WF game but was not successful.  I read your post time & time again, but I have no idea where to find a bmp file.  I found the bte file, and looked in special folder too. 

I know just enough to be dangerous.  I would appreciate any help!

Jack
dawgs85@monroeaccess.net
sfinlay

Post by sfinlay »

Big Dawg,

The .bmp, up01213.bmp you used from the original EF game is the exact same file used in West Front so it's possible that you have change the file properly in the west front directory, however, it may also be necessary to delete the S-up01213.bmp, L-up01213.bmp and E-up1213.bmp files in the special folder. Please note that for some reason that last bmp (E-up1213.bmp) doesn't seem to follow the usual naming convention i.e. there is no o before the 1213 part. This might be why you were unable to find it.

Let us know if this helps?
big dawg

Post by big dawg »

Yes, I understand now that I had to delete the 3 files after adding the original drawing/file back into the game.  It worked!
I completely agree with your initial post.  I thought it was just me, but the image has a odd shape & color to it.

I appreciate the reply!
Jack
Schlonz

Post by Schlonz »

Hi Flying Scotsman,

sorry you don't like the HMG platoon icon. I've made the graphics (as well as the
Bersaglieri plt. up02202) some years ago, since I didn't like the "tripod-on-a wooden-box"
graphic of the original HMG platoon. The uniform color is field-gray and - as you already
noted - doesn't match the blue-gray color of the original graphics. Nevertheless it's the
more appropriate color.
The files were available for download and later I sent them to George while he was
working on the Blitzkrieg-CD. I was quite suprised (and pleased) to find them in JTCS
after I'd installed the game yesterday.

Regards
Schlonz
"I've got a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."
- Blackadder
sfinlay

Post by sfinlay »

Hi Schlonz,

You are, of course, right to redress the balance here. It's really a matter of preference. As i've said already, no offence intended on my part. ( I really don't believe I could create a new graphic from scratch, as you have done)When I first started JTCS I was surprised to see what,to me, was an unusual HMG graphic, one I wasn't used to. As you can see there are other aspects of the game that many others have changed. I think this is actually part of the games appeal. I will say this though, finding out how to change certain aspects of the game has been really fascinating to me and i've learnt alot about how the game is structured and how it works.

I hope you enjoy the game as much as I do, whatever your preferences. [:)]
Witti44

Post by Witti44 »

Hey guys where can we download this great graphics? I must have them in my WF ;)

Do you know where I can get some graphics for RS with the real US Marines uniforms? :) I think the original graphics in RS is very boring :(
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Bump for the dawg

woof
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
big dawg

Post by big dawg »

Junk!!!!

Thanks! This is what I was looking for but could not find. Thanks again.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”