21st Army Group TO&E

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

TMO

21st Army Group TO&E

Post by TMO »

If you haven't already found this it might prove interesting. Take a look at:

http://www.fireandfury.com/britinfo/british.pdf

Regards

Tim
GoodGuy

RE: 21st Army Group TO&E

Post by GoodGuy »

I am sure the DDT got its shyte together, source-wise.
Parts of this TO+E seem to be results of discussions, and referrals to sources (in the comments) are missing completely.
Also, I'm missing Kershaw's work listed in the bibliography at the bottom, he came up with some interesting insights.

The only interesting thing in this pdf is the part about engineers:
There are considerable changes to engineer MEs owing to a lot of new research - some interesting new information discovered was the extent to which the Royal Engineers used armoured carriers to accompany armoured forces and used obsolete Light Recce Cars to reconnoitre and survey routes (Engineer Recce is a vital role in modern NATO doctrine, but I previously had no idea how common it was in WW2 as well). Consequently, you will now see lots of carriers and LRCs in the engineer MEs. On the flip-side, many engineers have been downgraded from "Assault Pioneers" to "Infantry" who can perform engineering tasks. This came out of a number of recent forum discussions, plus further research on the subject.
While I knew that many Allied eng. units were not used/equipped as combat/assault engineers (unlike the German "Sturm-Pioniere"), I did not know they were using Recce vehicles and performing recon tasks, and I did not know that they were equipped with arm. carriers., since I thought this setup + role (recon tasks) were not used until they had been incorporated in the NATO doctrine.
But again, no specific sources are being mentioned there, as well.
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
ETF

RE: 21st Army Group TO&E

Post by ETF »

ORIGINAL: TMO

If you haven't already found this it might prove interesting. Take a look at:

http://www.fireandfury.com/britinfo/british.pdf

Regards

Tim

Wow excellent link.............do you have anymore sir?
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

Return to “Command Ops Series”