Basic noob questions...

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

MistaCreepy

Basic noob questions...

Post by MistaCreepy »

Hello folks, I just got this game a week or so ago and the editor immediately grabbed my attention.. its very similar to the Age Of Rifles editor... a game I used to play and make terrible scenarios for back in the day. I have some crazy ideas for some scenarios (a second US civil war fought in California) but I just have some basic questions here:

1. When Im building units, how many men is a "squad"? How many squads are typically in a regiment... divison?
2. I was wondering if someone could link me to a sit with orginization charts for a modern divisions and other units?
3. Are there any modern infantry units? Im using Assualt AT+ as my basic infantryman for my modern scenarios, but it has a date of 1940... the tanks and IFV's are up to date though... [&:]

Thats all for now, sorry if this has been asked a million times.

EDIT: I just realized why TOAW's editor is similar to AOR... they were both made by Norm Kroger! Does Matrix have any plans of releasing Age Of Rifles? I have my old old CD but it doesnt work on any of the new windows OS... I would personally buy 5 copies if Matrix released that game!
Dr. Foo

RE: Basic noob questions...

Post by Dr. Foo »

[font="times new roman"]One thing to consider is that just about every unit is under strength in real life.[/font]
[font="times new roman"] [/font]
[font="times new roman"]I was in the Marines and the infantry was set up in three’s:[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Three fire teams per squad [/font]
[font="times new roman"]Three squads per platoon + attached weapons[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Three platoons per company + attached weapons[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Three company’s per battalion (plus one weapons company M-60’s, mortars, Dragons, Tow's, ect) [/font]
[font="times new roman"]Three battalions per regiment + attached weapons[/font]
[font="times new roman"][/font] 
[font="times new roman"]Three regiments per division + attached weapons[/font]
[font="times new roman"][/font] 
[font="times new roman"]Now I think that the Marine Corps is still the same but the Army has moved to a modular system where I think a fourth brigade has been added to a division. [/font]
[font="times new roman"]Also you need to consider aviation trans and attack helicopters, HQ elements, artillery towed and self-propelled, transportation, trucks, hummers, LAV (USMC), AAV (USMC), Bradley’s and attached tanks. [/font]
[font="times new roman"]The best source for modern TO&E is:[/font]
[font="times new roman"]http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/index.html[/font]
[font="times new roman"]USMC: [/font][font="times new roman"]http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/usmc/index.html[/font]
[font="times new roman"]US Army: [/font][font="times new roman"]http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/index.html[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I hope this helps and I also hope my information is not out of date I got out in 1993 but I try to keep up to speed. [/font]
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

ORIGINAL: MistaCreepy

3. Are there any modern infantry units? Im using Assualt AT+ as my basic infantryman for my modern scenarios, but it has a date of 1940... the tanks and IFV's are up to date though... [&:]

First world armies today would be Assault AT+ squads, yeah. Assault rifles became available in the 1940s so that's where the date comes from, although the weapons which could be described as AT+ are more modern.
EDIT: I just realized why TOAW's editor is similar to AOR... they were both made by Norm Kroger! Does Matrix have any plans of releasing Age Of Rifles? I have my old old CD but it doesnt work on any of the new windows OS... I would personally buy 5 copies if Matrix released that game!

Matrix bought the rights to a range of games which were originally published by Talonsoft- of which TOAW is the most significant. Age of Rifles was published by SSI I believe so I don't know who holds the rights to it today.

You might want to get a DOS emulator such as DOSBOX;
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download. ... 792ae4989c

This should allow you to play AoR and other DOS games on computers running more recent versions of Windows.
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
MistaCreepy

Post by MistaCreepy »

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

ORIGINAL: MistaCreepy

First world armies today would be Assault AT+ squads, yeah. Assault rifles became available in the 1940s so that's where the date comes from, although the weapons which could be described as AT+ are more modern.

Matrix bought the rights to a range of games which were originally published by Talonsoft- of which TOAW is the most significant. Age of Rifles was published by SSI I believe so I don't know who holds the rights to it today.

You might want to get a DOS emulator such as DOSBOX;
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download. ... 792ae4989c

This should allow you to play AoR and other DOS games on computers running more recent versions of Windows.

Yeah I remember now... SSI went defunct years ago... I think Norm Kroger owns all rights to AoR and people have been pestering him about releasing the source code but nothing has come from that...

Ive tried all the methods to get the game to work on my PC but it just doesnt work out.

I looked at other modern scenarios in the game and they were using the assault AT+ so I figured that would be the best bet. And thanks Dr. Foo for the links those will work perfectly. Now if I can only figure out how to make the AI do something[:'(]
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

It's a common mistake, but it's Koger, not Kroger.

Return to “Scenario Design”