Time Limit?

UFO: Extraterrestrials is a futuristic real-time/turn-based strategy blend set on the fictional planet of Esperanza in 2025. Having made a bloody first contact with a strange form of life from another planet, the player is thrust into the tough position of leading the defense of this isolated planet against the never-ending assault of these hostile invaders
pitttbulll

Time Limit?

Post by pitttbulll »

Does this game have a time limit to complete it?
I see from researching that the mothership is gaining fuel and has a progress bar to show it.
Does anyone know if, and how long I have to finish it on normal level?
Thanks, I like this game but I just hate having time limits.
Thanks again.
Jetau

RE: Time Limit?

Post by Jetau »

The mothership fuel meter seems to be broken. No one has ever run out of time. In fact I think it hovers near zero indefinetly.

So relax. Some people stretched the game out for over 5 years, with no problems...
pitttbulll

Post by pitttbulll »

Thanks, I appreciate the info.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

ORIGINAL: Jetau

The mothership fuel meter seems to be broken. No one has ever run out of time. In fact I think it hovers near zero indefinetly.

So relax. Some people stretched the game out for over 5 years, with no problems...

Has this been established as a bug? I presumed that everytime I saw a ship land and then take off again, it was gathering some more minerals which would have increased the fuel meter...I thought neglecting these landings would cause problems, but if in fact the meter is not working then I guess it would not matter....
GalacticOrigins

Post by GalacticOrigins »

The time will advance if you do little or nothing to stop the aliens on the planet. If you refuse to go to crahsed sites, or do not protect regions, or do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (thus allowing the aliens to land and take off at will, as well as fly around unopposed), then the fuel time limit will SLOWLY advance.

(I tried this by just letting time pass swiftly as I worked my way through the tech tree. I went on no missions and only researched. Some time-fuel techs showed a little bit of increase. At one point the aliens had about 30% of their needed fuel, so you can lose the game this way.)

Last note: A player really has work to lose the game this way. As long as you go on missions and attempt to stop the aliens, they probably will not mine much fuel. Of course, this assumes you are actually playing.
dbt1949_slith

Post by dbt1949_slith »

I've seen it at zero when I made my final attack be usually it's down pretty low. like 2-3%. I agree that if you give the aliens enough time and ignore too many incursions that eventually it'll fill up. Supposedly the mothership makes for Esperanza and you're overwhelmed.
Ye Olde Farte
Jetau

Post by Jetau »

So maybe if you did nothing for 10 years of game time the aliens would win. I wonder if this would bring up a new cutscene? Anyway, if its not totally broken (as Galactic Origins seems to have shown) then it's certainly too easy.  I haven't heard of anyone losing the game this way.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Maybe the harder difficulty levels have the meter fill up faster?
GalacticOrigins

Post by GalacticOrigins »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

Maybe the harder difficulty levels have the meter fill up faster?

Maybe not. I do not think there are more missions at harder diff., but maybe so.

Return to “UFO: Extraterrestrials”