SPWAW Encyclopedia

Trade tips and tricks, workarounds maps, and graphics mods. Why certain scenarios or campaigns are favorites, or how to improve stinkers. Attach your work to share/critique.

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

freddiefly

SPWAW Encyclopedia

Post by freddiefly »

My great interest has always been historical Armoured warfare and armoured vehicles. Sometimes I cringe a little at the missing or incomplete entries in the encyclopedia. I am not a programmer and know little about the actual components of the game. But I would be willing to update the encyclopedia if there was an easy way to do this.
I realise this is a huge commitment but, as I spend 5 weeks on a ship and then 5 weeks on break I do have some time to put into it. I would really like to give something back to a game which has been on my hard drive (in one form or another) since SP1.
So are there any tools which would allow me to easily update the enc??

regards
Freddie
FlashfyreSP

RE: SPWAW Encyclopedia

Post by FlashfyreSP »

No tools required other than a basic text editor, like MS's Notepad.
The ENC entries are written in a simple ASCII text, no formatting; the * character is used to indicate Line Breaks (Carriage Return) and tells the game to move to the next line, or adda blank line if this character is the only one in that text line.

There is a limit to the number of characters the ENC file can display; some experimentation may be needed to get them to appear completely in the game.

All ENC files are stored in the ENC folder in the main SPWAW folder, and are assigned a number that matches the number in the OOB that each unit has as its ENC number. For example, the M4 Sherman uses "8215" as its Text number, which corresponds to the ENC8215.TXT file. The difficulty lies in the fact that many units have no numbers assigned in the OOB, so any new ENC file will not be useful until those OOBs are edited to reflect the new ENC files. And then everyone will need to download the new encyclopedia files AND the updated OOBs, which could be a problem depending on which set of OOBs is used to make those changes.
ImageImage
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: FreddieClark

My great interest has always been historical Armoured warfare and armoured vehicles. Sometimes I cringe a little at the missing or incomplete entries in the encyclopedia. I am not a programmer and know little about the actual components of the game. But I would be willing to update the encyclopedia if there was an easy way to do this.
I realise this is a huge commitment but, as I spend 5 weeks on a ship and then 5 weeks on break I do have some time to put into it. I would really like to give something back to a game which has been on my hard drive (in one form or another) since SP1.
So are there any tools which would allow me to easily update the enc??

regards
Freddie

Have you looked over ENhanced SPWAW?
we fixed or changed many of the encyclopedia entries..although there are still alot of missing or incorrect ones.

nibelungen

Post by nibelungen »

[font="times new roman"]I reccomend www.Achtungpanzer.com. It's a very accurate and thorough site on vehicles and protoypes of the whermacht[/font]
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

The ENC entries do need more work, so if you wanna assist in filling the gaps, then go for it.

If enough folks are interested, then maybe we could talk the ENH crew into doing one more update for the database.

The missing ENC entries are really the last toppings for the cake, and should be taken into consideration. Ideally, every unit should have one.

Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

The ENC entries do need more work, so if you wanna assist in filling the gaps, then go for it.

If enough folks are interested, then maybe we could talk the ENH crew into doing one more update for the database.

The missing ENC entries are really the last toppings for the cake, and should be taken into consideration. Ideally, every unit should have one.

If someone were to provide a list...personally I do not have time to look thru each and evry unit in the game to see if the ENC entry is there or correct...I nkow we fixed about 200 of them or so IIRC...
[:)]

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Glenn!!!!..Nice of you to volunteer to help Freddie!![:D]

Major Destruction

Post by Major Destruction »

I will have a few new and edited enc files soon.

Creation of these things is easy but it takes a lot of time 1) to get the text in the first place and 2) to get the amount of relevant text to fit in the alloted space. Many of my texts now go off the screen but there is nothing on the screen to indicate that.
They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

The Depot is currently forming a team to revamp the manual, led by CrazyCanuck. Alot of the info from the SPWaW Wiki will be used, and the info from the new manual will be put into the Wiki. This way there is an online reference also. Any interested in contributing/joining please visit the General Discussion forum of the Depot and read the Announcements on it.

www.spwaw.com

Goblin
Major Destruction

I have edited and created a few enc files

Much of the content was lifted from websites [:o] (it is easier than typing it all out from scratch [;)]) them editing the content to fit the allowed format. Some have no substantive changes, just a new title or a spelling correction, etc.

But I wanted to upload them here but the file format for .zip files is not supported

Rats!
They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Major Destruction

I have edited and created a few enc files

Much of the content was lifted from websites [:o] (it is easier than typing it all out from scratch [;)]) them editing the content to fit the allowed format. Some have no substantive changes, just a new title or a spelling correction, etc.

But I wanted to upload them here but the file format for .zip files is not supported

Rats!
upload them at the Enhanced site or the Depot

Alby

Post by Alby »

I uploaded them at the Enhanced site Major D

Major Destruction

I will have a second batch ready in a week or so.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Major Destruction

I will have a second batch ready in a week or so.
cool

tracer

Post by tracer »

In the Design General Discussion forum at the Depot, Nor posted a step-by-step for creating/adding the encyclopedia's unit-images.
Jim NSB ImageImage

Return to “SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns”