Multiplayer Wishlist

Carriers At War is Strategic Studies Group famed simulation of Fleet Carrier Air and Naval Operations in the Pacific from 1941 - 1945.

Moderators: alexs, Gregor_SSG

Charles Lamb

Multiplayer Wishlist

Post by Charles Lamb »

Personally I think this is one of the best games that I have, it has all the correct ingredients and with expanded scenarios and a few extra features and fixes, it is on the way to being a real classic.

To get away from the negativity of the hyper critical thread below I thought it better to constructively post a 'Multiplayer wishlist' as Gregor has suggested so that we can discuss what we would like:-
(multiplayer is after all new ground for the CAW engine I believe.)

(The ideal would be to arrive at some official and well tried Multi-player scenario's included with the game.)

Thoughts and Request:-
i) looking in the editor it would be VERY useful to be able to assign some destroy airfield/port conditionals (require a certain amount of damage to be inflicted to an airbase/s or port to achieve ?). At the moment there are currently only two conditionals available, supply/invade and preserve ship.
(Central to Midway, Wake, Guadalcanal and the Eastern Soloman's and New Guinea operations was the need/goal of putting airstrips out of action and currently the game does not recreate that except through the AI mission cards which are not applicable to multiplayer.)

This would be a way to make carrier commanders have to consider sending strikes against airbases to achieve victory...and it would also provide more purpose/choice for the land based bombers of both sides.

ii) The ability to retreat from the game map (or reworking much bigger maps for multiplayer).

iii) Variable starting positions would help replay value of multiplayer tremendously.
Scott_WAR

RE: Multiplayer Wishlist

Post by Scott_WAR »

There is only one thing that is needed. Official, MP balanced scenarios released in a patch. The editor is great fine and nice, but there is one thing I have seen in the past in many different games, wargames in particular,,,,,,,, unofficial, fan created scenarios usually dont catch on with the majority of those that play multiplayer. Sure, some small groups of people will end up playing scenarios created by each other, but the majority of those interested in MP will attempt to find a scenario thats included with the game to play. If there isnt one thats balanced, they will move on to other games.

-I would focus on 'what if' scenarios as they are easier to balance.
- The suggestions in the above post are very good and would help tremendously.
Gregor_SSG

RE: Multiplayer Wishlist

Post by Gregor_SSG »

We will definitely be adding some sort of exit hex for multiplayer. I can't say exactly how long this will take, its never as easy as it seems but it will be done.

Gregor
Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

Return to “Carriers At War”