Recon by Sound

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

junk2drive

Recon by Sound

Post by junk2drive »

I read Glenn Saunders' "WF Recon" doc.
I was testing a scenario with a human opponent in PBEM recently. The procedure in a test is to play it once, report our findings and then reverse sides and play again. In the first match, my opponent was the attacker. I hadn’t played him before and was unaware of his style. After the first couple of turns, I became concerned that I could not see where his main effort was coming from. I could hear him, but had no idea where he was in force and what he was up to.

I play with sound off.

How much info do you get from sounds in these games?

In Combat Mission, it is a disadvantage to play with sound off.

How about HPS Squad Battles series? (For those familiar with those games)
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
CJMello63

RE: Recon by Sound

Post by CJMello63 »

With sound you an hear vehicles moving such as tanks, squeeky bikes. etc. Hearing a number of instances you may surmise he has a spread out force or a certain number of vehicles. I always play with sound on.
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

ORIGINAL: CJMello63

With sound you an hear vehicles moving such as tanks, squeeky bikes. etc. Hearing a number of instances you may surmise he has a spread out force or a certain number of vehicles. I always play with sound on.

ditto ... added to which when you're under an artillery barrage you get an idea of the type of artillery being used against you. That helps judge range, destructive capability and potential targets if fireing by map ref and you caught a glimpse of the incoming.
Cheers,

Chris
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

The game is much better with the sound on. [:)]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I am at a disadvantage then.

Wonder what the AI does with the info?
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Temple

Post by Temple »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Wonder what the AI does with the info?

Very interesting thought, but I suspect nothing. I would imagine that would be a rather sophisticated routine.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”