Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Onime No Kyo

RE: Small Ship, Big War

Post by Onime No Kyo »

I'm starting to suspect that Capt. Ishii has a less than worshipful attitude towards the IJN high command.
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
princep01

Post by princep01 »

Hee hee.....now, let's see where those "Nimitz rats" might pop up.
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

On page 2.  Say it ain't so!

Some altitude for Hibiki...

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

princep01

Post by princep01 »

Hummmm, Fender, I looked.  There are no "Nimitz rats" on p.2.  Your message is a bit too cryptic for me :).
Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

November 16, 1942

Course: Southeast
Attached to: TF 72
Mission: Air Combat
System Damage: 2
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 294

Orders: Return to Kwajalein.
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

No, no...

This AAR was on page two of the AAR section.  "Giving it some altitude" is just to bubble it back up the first page (of the AAR forum), so that everyone can enjoy.

:^)

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

November 17, 1942

Course: Docked
Fuel: 475

Orders: Return to Kwajalein.

---

The Japanese task forces return to Kwajalein. There the men of the Hibiki find a great many rumors but no hard information about what the situation is in the Kuriles or elsewhere.

The rumors are a varied lot. According to some, an American invasion fleet has been spotted heading for Baker Island. Others say the Japanese ships were turned around because an Australian division was just airdropped along the coast of northeast New Guinea. The Australians troops, supposedly an elite unit of kill-crazed commandos, are said to now be lurking in the jungle, ready to burst out and overrun Japanese bases in the area.

There are half a dozen different stories of another naval battle off Paramushiro Jima. One Sixth Fleet staff officer swears he has reliable information from a cousin of his on Etorofu Jima that Yamato and the newly launched Musashi met and annihilated an enemy fleet off the Aleutians. Others say a submarine torpedoed and sank the American carrier Wasp in the same area, depriving the American invasion force of air cover and forcing it to turn back.

The most persistent rumor, however, and the one that most of Hibiki’s sailors hope to be true, is that the Japanese ships turned around because the Emperor has received a peace overture from the Allied leaders Roosevelt and Churchill. Hostilities are supposed to be on hold while the Son of Heaven dictates terms to the cowed enemy. Many aboard the ship have hopes that they will be back in Japan to stay by the end of the year.
Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

November 18, 1942

Orders: Await further orders.

---

Lieutenant Miharu seeks Captain Ishii and finds him on the bridge. He approaches and salutes. Captain Ishii gives him a nod in greeting.

“Hello, Exec,” he says. “How are things ashore?”

“Just fine, Captain,” says Miharu. “But you will be interested to learn that the real purpose of our little trip north was to raid Wake Island. Not only that, but our carrier planes caught an American battleship there and sank it.” Ishii’s eyebrows go up.

“Really?” he says. “Odd, I don’t recall us launching any air strikes, much less getting close enough to Wake to do so.” Lieutenant Miharu shrugs.

“I tried to tell my informant that,” he says, “but people are surprisingly reluctant to let the truth get in the way of a good rumor.”

“Sailors,” says Captain Ishii wryly, “they love a good story and are bigger gossips than fishwives.” Lieutenant Miharu smiles.

“That’s true, sir,” he says. “Which reminds me, I heard the most remarkable story about an officer from the Soryu, a giant oyster, and fortune in pearls. It seems…” Captain Ishii holds up a hand with a smile.

“Yes, yes,” he says. “A fascinating tale, I’m sure. But look, Exec. Let’s not give the men too much time to listen to rumors and wonder what is going on. Too much gossip is not healthy for morale. Keep them busy. Organize some work details.”

“Yes sir,” says the lieutenant. “I can find some appropriately tedious and difficult tasks, I am sure. By the way, Captain…what is going on, do you know?” Captain Ishii leans forward and lowers his voice.

“Keep this to yourself, Exec,” he says, “but I have it on good authority that we are departing tomorrow to go attack San Francisco.” Lieutenant Miharu’s eyes widen slightly, then he notes the glint of humor in the Captain’s eyes. He smiles in return.

“Very good, sir,” he says. “I look forward to the challenge.” He salutes and departs.
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

ORIGINAL: Feinder

No, no...

This AAR was on page two of the AAR section.  "Giving it some altitude" is just to bubble it back up the first page (of the AAR forum), so that everyone can enjoy.

:^)

-F-

That just means that the guy working the drum on CF's galley isnt beating fast enough. [:D]
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

November 18, 1942

etc.

Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

November 19, 1942

Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

November 20, 1942

---

Rumors are not the only thing that has arrived at Kwajalein with the return of the fleet. Two sacks of mail earmarked for the Hibiki have arrived at the base, and in due course they reach the ship. One by one the officers and men of the Hibiki receive their mail and go off to find some place quiet to read it. For a short time the war is forgotten as every man eagerly opens his mail and reads the words from home.

The letters bear news of births, of children growing up, of parents growing older, and many other ordinary subjects. To the sailors aboard the Hibiki it is good to be reminded that life has in fact continued apart from the war, that back in Japan things are continuing much as they have always done. There is good news and bad, but all of it is eagerly read.

Perhaps no three letters have more of an effect on their recipients than three letters that arrive from Nanami Shun. The first letter is for her father. Chief Petty Officer Shun reads the letter, and the deep lines on his face grow even deeper as he does so. When he is done he carefully folds up the letter and puts it away with the other letters from his daughter, then asks for and is granted permission to go ashore. There he proceeds to get quite drunk.

The second letter is addressed to Captain Ishii. Ishii has known Shun and his family for many years, but he is still surprised to receive the letter. He opens it and reads Nanami’s letter, which is written in a firm but elegant style. When he is done he sets the letter down on his desk, then sighs unhappily and rubs his eyes with the thumb and forefinger of his right hand.

The third letter is addressed to Riku. It is at the bottom of a stack of mostly business correspondence, and is discreetly labeled only as being from Okinawa. Riku picks it up curiously, then his eyes widen. Something, some lingering scent somehow clinging to the letter perhaps, tells him who it is from.

As he stares at the letter his hand begins to tremble slightly. He stares at the letter for a long moment, and then his hands move to open it. With an effort of will he forces himself to stop. He takes a long, deep breath and then does the hardest thing he has even done in his life. He thrusts the letter, still unopened, into his pocket and bolts out of the bunkroom.

---

He finally tracks Taiki down near the aft torpedo hoist. Taiki is sitting in the sun reading a letter from his brother. As involved as he is in the letter, Taiki takes one look at Riku’s pale, strained face as he approaches, then folds the letter and stands up. Riku walks swiftly up and comes to attention.

“Petty Officer Takahashi,” he says in a hoarse voice, “may I make a request?”

“Certainly,” says Taiki. “Please, go on.” Riku removes the letter from his pocket and hands it to Taiki. Taiki examines it for a moment and then his eyes widen in surprise. He looks up at Riku.

“This is from…” he begins. Riku nods.

“Yes,” he says. “It is from her.” He stresses the last word. Taiki knows that his oath to Chief Petty Officer Shun prevents Riku from speaking her name, but there is no doubt who he means. He examines the letter again, turning it over in his hands.

“You haven’t opened it,” he says. Riku makes a helpless gesture.

“Taiki-san,” he says, in his stress forgetting formal address, “I can’t! By my oath, I can’t. I know my ancestors witnessed that oath. If I break it…” His voice trails off. Taiki nods sympathetically.

“What are you going to do?” he asks. Riku indicates the letter.

“Take the letter, please. If I keep it…well, I won’t be able to resist opening it, I know I won’t. Keep it somewhere safe, and maybe someday I can read it. Please, Taiki-san. You are the only one I can trust with this.”

Taiki takes the letter and places it carefully in his pocket. Then he claps Riku on the shoulder and looks into his eyes.

“I will keep it safe,” he says. “And when the right day comes I will give it back to you.”

“Thank you, T…Petty Officer Takahashi,” Riku says. He sighs, then turns and trudges away. Taiki watches him depart, then takes out Nanami’s letter and looks at it again for a moment. What a remarkable thing, he thinks. Not only Riku’s restraint, but the letter itself. Until the day when it is finally opened and read, it remains a mystery of almost endless potential. It could say almost anything. He hopes that Riku does not drive himself half mad thinking about it too much.

He puts the letter back in his pocket, then takes out his own letter and sits back down to continue reading it.
kaleun

Post by kaleun »

Very very good! Like TNT, you know drama!
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

Wow this stuff is great!  A soap opera with the war as it's backround.  I look forward to each and every episode.  This stuff is addictive!  Keep up the good work CF.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

Riku is soooo gonna die. And not even by Shun.

-F-

Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Riku is soooo gonna die. And not even by Shun.

-F-

This isnt Hollywood! [:-]

I think CF is more original than that.
Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

November 21, 1942

---

Captain Ishii is at the desk in his small cabin, initialing a stack of Lieutenant Miharu’s reports. As it is warm in the cabin his uniform jacket is off and the cabin door is open. The captain sets aside a stack of supply reports and is about to start in on some crew evaluation reports when there is a tap from his doorway.

Captain Ishii had not heard anyone approach, so he is not surprised to turn his head and see Chief Petty Officer Shun standing there. No one ever hears Shun approach, a fact that has terrified many ordinary seamen over the years.

“You sent for me, sir?” the Chief asks in his low voice. Captain Ishii turns in his chair and looks at Shun. The Chief seems stoic and unperturbed. If he is feeling any effects from his bender of the night before Captain Ishii can’t see them.

“Yes,” says the captain. “Come in, Chief, and close the door.” Shun does so. Ishii regards the Chief for a moment as Shun does as requested. The two of them go back a lot of years, he thinks. He probably comes as close as anyone does to understanding the man. Shun is an exemplary officer, a devoted father, and at times seems to possess the wisdom and patience of a Shinto monk. Yet he is also capable of black, homicidal rages. Not for the first time Captain Ishii wishes that Shun’s wife had not died so tragically young.

Shun is now waiting patiently, so Captain Ishii clears his throat and gets right to the point.

“Chief,” he says, “I hear that your mother is very sick.” A look of surprise briefly crosses Shun’s seamed, ugly features.

“Yes, Captain,” he says. He pauses. “She wrote to you as well, “he finally says. Ishii nods.

“Your daughter is a woman of intelligence and determination,” he says. “And she knows you, Chief. The treatments available to your mother on the mainland will cost a great deal of money, but you would not ask for help or charity under any circumstances. Would you, Chief?” Shun stands there a long moment. His powerful hands slowly clench and then unclench.

“Sir, this is a family matter,” he says at last. “I can deal with it.” Captain Ishii gives him a direct look. He hates to batter at the Chief’s pride, but sometimes the man is just too stiff necked for his own good.

“Answer me straight up, Chief,” says Ishii. “You don’t begin to have the money to pay for the treatments, do you? Yes or no.” Shun’s mouth works, but he is incapable of lying to the captain.

“No sir,” he says, his voice even lower than usual. Captain Ishii stands up.

“Chief, do you recall what I often say about the crew of a ship such as a destroyer? That in many ways we are like a family?” Shun nods. “True,” continues Ishii, “it is a large and sometimes contentious family, but we look out for each other. We’ll do our best to come up with enough money to get your mother those treatments.”

“Yes sir,” says Shun automatically. Then he adds “Thank you, sir.” Captain Ishii makes a dismissive gesture.

“No need for thanks,” he says. Then, to spare Shun any more discomfort, he dismisses the Chief. Shun salutes and leaves.

Captain Ishii sighs. Shun’s mother is 74, but by the standards of Okinawa this is hardly considered old. He knows and likes the woman, and hopes they can come up with enough money to help. Yet with the exception of Lieutenant Miharu no one on board comes from a wealthy background, and he knows the lieutenant does not have a great deal of money to spare. Still, it is a resourceful crew. Perhaps someone will come up with something.
Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

November 22, 1942

---

Taiki looks into one of the storerooms. Leaning against a crate inside is Riku, waiting for him. Riku straightens and comes to attention when he sees Taiki. Taiki looks up and down the corridor to make sure he is unobserved, then steps inside and closes the door behind him.

“At ease, Ariga,” he says. “Now, what is all this sneaking and secrecy about?” Riku says nothing, but instead he takes out an impressive roll of yen and hands it to Taiki. Taiki thumbs through it, then his eyes widen as he sees the denominations of the bills. This is more money than he has ever seen. He looks up at Riku.

“What…how…?” is all he can get out. Riku laughs softly.

“I sold my connections,” he says. “I’m out of the smuggling business. This is what I got from that, plus everything else I made so far.”

“What are you going to do with it all?” Taiki asks. Riku’s answer is simple and direct.

“I’m going to give it to you,” he says. Taiki chokes.

“What!” he says. “Riku, you can’t…” Riku holds up a hand.

“Relax, please, Petty Officer,” he says. “It is for Shun’s mother.” Taiki knows about the fund for Shun’s mother, he has already donated a bit to it himself. Recalling his meetings with the shrewd old woman, he wishes he had more to give. Riku’s statement puzzles him, however.

“But Riku,” he says, “there is enough here to buy her all the help she needs. Why not give it yourself? If there was ever a way to get into Shun’s good graces, this would have to be it!” Riku shakes his head.

“And where would I say the money came from?” he asks. “You told me yourself that I could not buy happiness with his daughter, not with tainted money. Remember?” Taiki does in fact recall giving Riku that advice, but even so he is astonished at this sacrifice.

“You are very clever,” says Riku. “I need you to find a way to donate that money anonymously, some way that cannot be traced to me.” Taiki shakes his head.

“Riku-san,” he says, “I can do that. But…well, all I can say is that this is an act of pure generosity. If I ever doubted you were really in love, I apologize. Anyone can act like an idiot over a woman. To act like this…” Riku holds up a hand and chuckles, though it is a pained sort of chuckle.

“Please,” he says, “just do it, before I change my mind.” He casts a last, wistful look at the money before Taiki tucks it out of sight, then he sighs. “Remember, Shun never learns this came from me.”

“It will be as you say,” replies Taiki.

---

Japanese 10-yen note from 1942-43:

Attachments
yen.jpg
yen.jpg (39.44 KiB) Viewed 49 times
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

Oooh. A convenient opening for Riku to ingratiate himself to the chief......as long as Shun doent ask where the money came from. [:D]

EDIT: CF beat me to the punchline.
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

I can picture the story ending with, nope, it'll end with.............................
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

Return to “After Action Reports”