Dipping Sonar issue?

Post bug reports, technical support request and store or installation issue reports here.

Moderator: Harpoon 3

Ologotai

Dipping Sonar issue?

Post by Ologotai »

Guys

I have just started my first ever non-tutorial game - Operation Rat-catcher!

Very tense....

I am not sure if I am missing something with my HKP-4 helos though. They appear to have dipping sonar - yet I see no sonar range sensor circles for them and try as I might I cannot get them to use active sonar.

I have tried manually plotting them to hover, fly low and the switch their sonar to active. But no rnage circles appear.

Is this a bug - or am I missing something?

Cheers

Andy
Bucks

RE: Dipping Sonar issue?

Post by Bucks »

Andy,

I ran this scenario with the ODB and I haven't seem what you describe. I don't think you're missing anything as afterall you are relatively new to the game and take it from me it takes a fair amount of invested time to know what many of the "old timers" know.

The first reason I can think of is your map preference settings. Use the F8 key to bring up the Map Preference window. This is where you select exactly what shows on the map you are viewing. I've included a screenshot of what you need to be looking at and the relevant box that needs the X in it. By setting the sonar sensor range check box you should be able to see the range bands. Can you see the bands for other platforms in this scen?

I've tested Operation Rat Catcher for you and the HKP-4's seem to perform as they should. Try the F8 key and see what happens. If you have any more issues I'll be happy to look into this further. I'll make another post showing the sonars when active.

Cheers

Darren
Attachments
MapPreferences.jpg
MapPreferences.jpg (102.92 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Editor HUD-II/HUD3 Harpoon Databases

http://www.taitennek.com/hud3-db/hud3-index.htm

Development Team H3ANW v3.8, v3.9, v3.10 & v3.10.1
Bucks

Post by Bucks »

Here's a shot showing the sonars when active in the scenario.

Cheers

Darren

Attachments
HKP4ActiveSonar.jpg
HKP4ActiveSonar.jpg (107.29 KiB) Viewed 72 times

Ologotai

Post by Ologotai »

Thanks Darren.

I'm sure I had the box checked though..

Hmm - I will try again.

BTW - I have just had a go at "Inchon Again" as my second scenario. I lost Operation Ratcatcher as I only found 2 of the enemy subs :-(

In "Inchon Again" where do the MAF ships actally have to get to to fulfill the Victory Conditions - Ref Point TARG 1, Ref point TARG 2 or somewhere else?

Also - when the orders say I have to be there by "1400 hours" - is that 1400 hrs on the same day I start?

Apols for posting this question here as it is not a technical post as such - more of a general game query. What thread should I use for asking general scenario/gameplay/tactics question?

Many thanks

Andy
Bucks

Reach Area VC

Post by Bucks »

Hi Andy,

No trouble at all to answer your questions. The way I look at it, you're just the brave one who's preapred to ask. For every one of you there are probably 10 people who don't want to take the plunge and ask.

I'm going to give the game away a little I suppose, but it's a good opportunity to explain this aspect of the game. The MAF ships need to reach somewhere in the vicinity of the TARG1 and TARG2 reference points. The Group's starting position is approximately 146nm from the TARG1 ref point so you have 9 hours to cover that distance. Yes you have to get the group there by 1400Z the same day. I believe the scenario starts at 0500Z, therefore you need to set the speed at 16.2kts (at least 17kts) to get there on time. Of course you can slow down but remember you need an average speed of at least 16.2kts (17kts) to reach the area by 1400Z.

Now to cover your question about where you really have to reach. As the scenario orders don't really indicate exact reference points, using the "*" key (above the 9 on the keypad) you can turn on all datablocks and quickly see the TARG1 & 2 ref points. You've already discovered them yourself so lets assume TARG = target. I've taken another screenshot to illustrate this question from the scenario designer's perspective. The Reach Area Victory Condition, requires the designer to draw a Poly. This is indicated by the white rectangle shown on the map as I've used the scenario editor to take the screenie. The size of the Poly is determined by the scenario designer as he builds the scenario and the player will not see this while using the single player mode of the game. I've also noticed the text in the order and scenario info windows looks like it needs reformatting so I'll make a note about making sure the target points are clearly made known as such in the scenario orders.

I don't have an issue with adding to this thread but if you don't mind we could probably deal with any issues you're having with scenarios on a case by case basis on the main Matrix forum page. I don't mind answering your questions and let's hope if we put this information out on the front page we might start others posting and even people adding to your questions. I hope this helps and feel free to ask away.

Thanks

Darren

Attachments
ReachArea..onAgain.jpg
ReachArea..onAgain.jpg (109.23 KiB) Viewed 72 times

Ologotai

RE: Reach Area VC

Post by Ologotai »

Darren - many thanks for your help and insight [:)]

I have re-started Inchon again but have just noticed that the max. full speed of the 1st Lt. Jack Lummus is only 15knots!

Does this mean- based on the fact that I need to achieve at least 16.2knots to get to my target area - that the US cannot win?

I also noticed the first time I played that after I flew a couple of missions - aircraft returning were restricted to only "Minimal" loads i.e. all other available loads had an availibility of "0"- even though when I started the number of available weapons was quite high. I have unchecked the "Aircraft Logistsics" box on the H3 preferences for my next game.

Although I was happy to play with limited loads realism - I can't workout how I have used all the loads up with one or two missions by two aircraft?

Many thanks

Andy

P.S. - I also noticed that the AV-8B Harrier II Plus database entry has the description text for the Mig-23MS "Flogger-E."
Bucks

Post by Bucks »

ORIGINAL: Ologotai

Darren - many thanks for your help and insight [:)]

I have re-started Inchon again but have just noticed that the max. full speed of the 1st Lt. Jack Lummus is only 15knots!

Does this mean- based on the fact that I need to achieve at least 16.2knots to get to my target area - that the US cannot win?

<<edit>>

Many thanks

Andy

Andy,

Sorry I was as clear as mud about the "Free distance" I labelled in the screen shot. I've attached another here, to show you that the distance from start to bisection of the Poly is 128nm. Divide that by the 9 hours available to complete the mission gives you the "new" average speed of 14.22kts. Top speed of 15kts for the 1st Lt. Jack Lummus means you better have motivated engine room crew if you do want to fulfill the VicCons. [:)] Of course if you view this logically, like you already have you probably think I can't do this... As I mentioned you can't see the white Poly when you're playing the game. I think the designer wants to make you sweat it a little on the run in there.

Cheers

Darren

Attachments
ReachArea..Again1.jpg
ReachArea..Again1.jpg (113.22 KiB) Viewed 72 times

Bucks

Post by Bucks »

Andy,

I'll open up the scen and let it run a little to check your aircraft logistics issue. I have a good idea I know what it is and probably means an edit and rebuild of the scen. Bear with me and I'll get on to it asap.

Cheers

Darren

Bucks

Post by Bucks »

ORIGINAL: Ologotai

I also noticed the first time I played that after I flew a couple of missions - aircraft returning were restricted to only "Minimal" loads i.e. all other available loads had an availibility of "0"- even though when I started the number of available weapons was quite high. I have unchecked the "Aircraft Logistsics" box on the H3 preferences for my next game.

Although I was happy to play with limited loads realism - I can't workout how I have used all the loads up with one or two missions by two aircraft?

Many thanks

Andy

P.S. - I also noticed that the AV-8B Harrier II Plus database entry has the description text for the Mig-23MS "Flogger-E."

Andy,

The scenario was never able to be played with aircraft logistics set to "ON". I've gone back as far as May 22nd 1996 and this scen never had an aircraft logistics capability. The original ODB version of the Wasp class contained no magazines for aircraft weapons and that's probably why it was never set up for aircraft logistics.

Dale has however added a aircraft weapons magazine capability for the recently modified ODB and I'll take a look at making this an air logistics capable scen for the 3.8.1 release. When I opened the scen in the scenario editor the only aircraft I can see with available loadouts are ASW helicopters. I hope this helps you out a little.

Cheers

Darren

Return to “Harpoon 3 ANW Support”