A Few Good Men

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Jason Petho

A Few Good Men

Post by Jason Petho »

A Few Good Men

Matrix Games and The Campaign Series Legion are seeking to expand the Beta Brigade for John Tiller’s Campaign Series. We are presently looking for 10 Campaign Series players that are interested in the longevity of the Series.

As a member of the Beta Brigade, you will get to playtest new scenarios and campaigns, track down and confirm bugs, find new bugs and test new features. All that is required is commitment, dedication and filling out reports.

If you are interested, leave a post below

Jason Petho
MartNick

RE: A Few Good Men

Post by MartNick »

I'd be up for that if required.
tide1212

Post by tide1212 »

Hi Jason

Sign me up

Gary
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

How about new scenario designers? There is a serious lack of any scenarios covering the Finnish front 1944 (I'm working on one). [;)]
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
jamespcrowley

Post by jamespcrowley »

Hi Jason

It's been a few years since I played these but I would be happy to volunteer.

I've playtested individual scenarios for designers, mainly with Combat Mission, but not for developers.

If you need people with more recent experience with CS, I fully understand.
Cheers

Jim
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

Hi Jason

I'd be keen to help out on bug hunt missions.

I do some playtesting for SSG so generally know the drill.

I've had the originals since West Front was released.

cheers
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Zeitgeist

Post by Zeitgeist »

I would very much like to participate in this.

I helped identify bugs and new campaigns with the game Strategic Command, and I've been playing the Campaign Series for Years and Years.

I'm a history Major in college, so I have a passion for these things, and would give my all for it.

Regards,

Patrick
www.WW2F.com - The Definitive World War Two Message Board

Avon123

Post by Avon123 »

Be happy to contibute in keeping CS alive.
CJMello63

Post by CJMello63 »

Hi. Been there before:

TS - RS
HPS - PzC, MC and SB.
EA Games
Various Mods

cjmello63@comcast.net
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

ORIGINAL: Keke

How about new scenario designers? There is a serious lack of any scenarios covering the Finnish front 1944 (I'm working on one). [;)]

I'm reading "A Frozen Hell: The Russo-Finnish Winter War of 1939-40" by William R. Trotter. Trotter explains that there isn't that much out there in English because of the translation problems. Trotter himself seems to have backed into the subject while he was studying the Soviet military. Trotter's book is an interesting read. I've only read the first two chapters, the first explains why the Soviet Union picked a fight with Finland, and the second dealt with Mannerheim, who, oddly enough, did not learn Finnish until he was fifty, sometimes needed interpreters to give orders to his troops, and, when he retired, moved to Switzerland. There are a few scenarios involving the Winter War, but not many. I'm not aware of any scenarios involving the later fighting.
Zeitgeist

Post by Zeitgeist »

I read that book years ago, its an excellent book
www.WW2F.com - The Definitive World War Two Message Board

Eagle Strike

Post by Eagle Strike »

Hi Jason:

If you need another tester I've been playing the CS games at the Blitz since 2001.
Thx,
Eagle Strike (aka Reddog)
paulsalayko

Post by paulsalayko »

tell ya what, started playin the CS on Lejeune in 98 on a 133 mhz cyrix. I dont know the ins and outs of computers, but i know when somethings wrong. Having said that, if you need some more help i'm here.[:D]
                                                     Semper Fi

Hammer732

Post by Hammer732 »

Dear Jason,
Just got back online and saw the Beta Brigade invitation. I remember they were in the original CS credits years ago when the games first came out. If there is still room for another volunteer, I would love to help out. Count me in if still possible.

Thanks, Hammer 732.
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

ORIGINAL: 1925frank
I'm reading "A Frozen Hell: The Russo-Finnish Winter War of 1939-40" by William R. Trotter. Trotter explains that there isn't that much out there in English because of the translation problems. Trotter himself seems to have backed into the subject while he was studying the Soviet military. Trotter's book is an interesting read. I've only read the first two chapters, the first explains why the Soviet Union picked a fight with Finland, and the second dealt with Mannerheim, who, oddly enough, did not learn Finnish until he was fifty, sometimes needed interpreters to give orders to his troops, and, when he retired, moved to Switzerland. There are a few scenarios involving the Winter War, but not many. I'm not aware of any scenarios involving the later fighting.

There are actually quite many books of Winter War in English compared to the Continuation War (as we Finns call the war 1941-44). You might call the latter a "forgotten battle" of the eastern front. The fighting was fiercest during the offensive period in 1941 and when the Soviets made their first summer offensive in 1944. The Finns managed to repulse it after losing Viipuri (Vyborg). Because it wasn't a full success for the Soviets, their histories generally ignore the repulsing part, and because Finland changed sides in September 1944, Germans ignored it too. After the war the main thing for the Finns was to have good relationship with the Soviets, so not that much was published about the Continuation War, especially not in any other language. So for example the battle of Tali-Ihantala June-July 1944, which in scale was bigger than the 2nd battle of El Alamein, is quite unknown outside Finnish borders.

Regarding Mannerheim, after the war he was the President of Finland for two years 1944-46, but retired for health reasons (and moved to Switzerland). His mother tongue was Swedish, which wasn't uncommon for Finnish political and military leaders back in those days.
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
Viriathus

Post by Viriathus »

Keke,

Can you recommend some books in English on the Winter War and the Continuation War for those of us interested but currently ignorant? There is a lot of great military history out there but there is also plenty of dross. Spending cold cash on a disappointing book is very frustrating.
Geomitrak

Post by Geomitrak »

I am hugely interested in the longevity of the series. I'm still pinching myself that these games have been developed and re-released. I don't think I'm expert enough in how the game functions, or knowledgeable enough about the theatres of war, to be a beta tester, but you ever do head into French Indochina / Viet Minh territory with Rising Sun, please let it me know. I think I could really make a valuable contribution to that.

Keep going guys, this is incredibly exciting! [:)]
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

I could recommend many books in Finnish, but I haven't had the need to read those few books that are in English. I've heard Trotter's book is quality, and I believe Osprey's Finland at War 1939 - 45 is a good introduction, but that's about it I'm afraid. I hope Mr. Glantz would include the Continuation War in his series of Forgotten Battles soon.  [/b]
Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn
FrenchyUSMC

Post by FrenchyUSMC »

I'm interrested in this mission ...
especially about the Pacific Theater ...

I did an historical campaign for Rising Sun (Eniwetok atoll 1944- LCG) and many scenarios for RS (Makin Raid, ... )and WF (Vaagso 1942, Toulon 1944, ...)
and changed some sounds in my RS version...

You can see them on the "Wargamer" web site
http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/
Game : Rising sun

Long Live The Campaign Serie
Frenchy
Karl Berg

Post by Karl Berg »

Hi Jason

I play from many years Campaign Series. As I have experience of programming, I have delighted to discover content of the fileses used by Campaign Series and sometime I modify them by a tex editor to change values that I don't consider uncorrect, for instance quantity of the reinforcements in  LCGs, number of turns of scenary than i am palyng when I cannot reach a decision etc. 
Now I am modifying database Access East Front Unit Display v1.2 of Ioannis Kalafatis provided by Craig H. Foster (chflss@aol.com) to manage your reissue of campaign Series, tool that I think very useful, expecially for developers,  to see you different unities quickly. 
I would be well pleased therefore to become as volunteer member of  Beta Brigade and participate as playtester or other to developement of Campaign series.

Karl Berg

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”