Hamachi MP network for CAW

Carriers At War is Strategic Studies Group famed simulation of Fleet Carrier Air and Naval Operations in the Pacific from 1941 - 1945.

Moderators: Gregor_SSG, alexs

Oleg Mastruko

Hamachi MP network for CAW

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Ok I started a Hamachi network for CAW multiplayer. I beg admins to make this thread sticky because I'd really like to see CAW MP get popular....

Network name is: Carriers at War
Password: spruance

Now assuming most people here are not familiar with Hamachi here are short instructions for this simple and effective way to play MP games over the Internet.

What is Hamachi?

Hamachi is virtual LAN for MP games. You connect to the Internet, you start Hamachi, and from that moment on, you're on virtual LAN (local area network) and can play games over the Internet as if you're playing them with someone in the next room. Your regular Internet services (web, mail etc) remain unaffected.

What do I need?

You need Hamachi software, free, easy to install and configure. www.hamachi.cc and click Download Free.

What are benefits of Hamachi over using the "regular" Internet connection?

With Hamachi you connect and play as if you're on LAN, connection is usually more stable, Hamachi has integrated chat client, and it's easier to start the game, because all games available on LAN are visible in the game lobby (you don't have to ask people for their IP address).

Oleg Mastruko

RE: Hamachi MP network for CAW

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

OK, after you download and install Hamachi, start the software and you should see something like this:

You won't see any game lobbies like those pictured above because you're not a member - yet.

Click on the button with triangle in the bottom right corner and pick Join existing network. Enter Carriers at War as network name, and spruance as password.

Voila, you just joined CAW Hamachi online lobby. If I am online at the moment, you'll see me + any other player who is online. Otherwise (if I am not online) you should see my name but it will probably be greyed out. Same goes for other members of course.

I think my Hamachi nick is yamato, although I might change it to something more carrier-friendly [:D]

If you want to challenge someone to MP game, click on his name, and choose Ping or Chat. Chat a little (keyboard chat), arrange a game. Start CAW, Multiplayer, and you should see hosted Hamachi games in the LAN browser. Play the game. Get sunk, play again, lose your job, divorce your wife....

Believe me - online gaming does not get any easier than this (in fact it does, for games that have organic server browser but lets not go there [8D])

Lets do this, we need a critical mass of online afficionados to make the game popular
Attachments
Image1b.jpg
Image1b.jpg (48.63 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Charles Lamb

Post by Charles Lamb »

Installed Hamachi (again) this is a great little program that makes everything simple and as far as I know is just as secure as your internet connection as firewalls etc are still applicable.

Anyhow YAMAMOTO was there and friendly...and another player joined whilst I asked about this game.

Great idea Oleg !, the way to go.

I hope players support this, it could really create a vibrant scene [:)]
AVisme

Post by AVisme »

I'm in the lobby, thanks oleg
AVisme

Post by AVisme »

shameful bump...

Waiting in the lobby if any body is up for trying out MP [>:]
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Just played first MP game - it was a blast....[8D]

But we could not connect thru Hamachi [&:] We used Hamachi to chat but in the end connected using your old regular IP address. Oh well....
GenChaos33

Post by GenChaos33 »

I'm interested in MP. So does Hamachi work? or what?
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Me and AVisme tried to start a game using Hamachi last night but we didn't succeed. However, we used Hamachi to communicate (chat) and started the game using the regular TCP/IP comnnection and IP address, it worked and it was fantastic.

Further experimentation with Hamachi is needed.

So I'd suggest you install Hamachi following instructions in this thread - it costs nothing, and at the very least you'll see growing list of names of people interested in playing MP CAW, and then you can contact them, challenge them to a game, and still connect using the "old school" IP. I noticed SSG vice president on the Hamachi list too.
alexs

Post by alexs »

Looks very interesting Oleg - thanks for bringing it to our attention. I'll have a look at and see whether its anything on our end preventing starting.
Gregor_SSG

Post by Gregor_SSG »

ORIGINAL: alexs

Looks very interesting Oleg - thanks for bringing it to our attention. I'll have a look at and see whether its anything on our end preventing starting.

Roger and I signed up and were able to connect using the Hamachi addresses and play a game without any problems.

Gregor
Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.
hempy

Post by hempy »

thanks for the info..

but why don't we use the wargamer.com, maybe someone can give me a good answer, only a little bit more easier[:'(]
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

What Wargamer.com, you mean Battle HQ they use for online matchmaking?

That would be helpful too, but someone needs to open CAW room on Battle HQ, personally I'd use both Hamachi and Battle HQ ie whichever system has players available for a game.

Big advantage for Hamachi is that it uses LAN protocols (tunneled thru Internet connection) that are usually easier to work with, etc.
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Also....

Hamachi = anyone can open a room (lobby), as I opened CAW room (see above)

Battle HQ = we need to ask admins to open a room
hempy

Post by hempy »

now I understand all of this , thanks...

I will check the website again and maybe see you in Hamachi[;)]
tomjcog

Post by tomjcog »

Any reason I dont see my name on the members list ? Also-I get a timed out message all the time when clicking on another member, does that just mean they are allready playing and you cant get into the game ?
Thanks
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

You don't see your name on the list by design. But you're logged in if you see your name in the Hamachi top bar.

Yes, some members cannot be pinged even though they are online. Apparently, these members will have problems playing the game over Hamachi as well. Most probably they need to reconfigure their router, open some ports etc. Members than can be pinged - these should be able to play the game with no problems (so pinging is a good latmus test, sort of).
CJMello63

Post by CJMello63 »

Just got it up and running. Need to get my router set and will try playing later.
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

AVisme and I played Coral Sea to completion via Hamachi - considering we were on the opposite ends of the earth it worked really well - we had one disconnect but we loaded up the auto save file and were up and running again within seconds.

good fun!
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
CJMello63

Post by CJMello63 »

My ping to Oleg was 144. Not great for FPS but OK for anything else.
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

What kind of bandwidth is multiplayer using?

I'm stuck either with 1.5Mb Satellite @ ~900ms latency or friggin' dial-up.  Sadly, dial-up is usually better for the few real-time games that it can actually run on. [:@]

Return to “Carriers At War”