SPWaW v3.0 is Now SPWaW v4.0 & more SPWaW Info.

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

David Heath

SPWaW v3.0 is Now SPWaW v4.0 & more SPWaW Info.

Post by David Heath »

Hi SPWaW Fans

I know this e-mail is a little long but its important. We have packed an incrediable amount of new features and improvements into this next release of SPWaW. Gamers will find new terrain, better built computer maps, two new terrain styles (rough & jungle), new scenarios, new campigns, custom maps listing, complete guide of TOE by Scott Grasse, improved OOB's. Improved national troop ratings, heck we even got input from Gary Grigsby himself on the national troop ratings and included them in the game.

I will let other team members give you more details on what you can expect.

Getting A CD

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop sending us checks, and money orders etc. We have gotten over 1,000+ gamers sending us money asking for a CD. Let me make this clear we would love to make you a CD. The bottom line is we can't, its against our deal with Mattel\SSI.

The Gifts!
Thank you so much for all great items everyone sent us.

News on SPWaW
The main reason for this note is to let you know that a lot of gamers got a pre-beta of SPWaW v3.0 that was released without our approval. This has cause a lot of gamers to question when and what version is available. I also have received a ton of e-mail asking about this.

The Plan now is that we are simply going to call this version of SPWaW v4.0. Gamers should get ready for the release on or about this Wednesday. We really feel you will find this to be the best SP game ever. We thank you for you praise and support you guys all make it worth it.

David

[This message has been edited by David Heath (edited September 02, 2000).]
gdpsnake

Post by gdpsnake »

If you guys can't make the cd's, how do we get version 4.0? I thought the download feature (due to cost according to ISP) was no longer an option. What is the deal with Mattel/SSI? Since this will affect future purchases of your games, I would like to know how to obtain them. Do I have to buy a magazine with the cd?
Please advise.
Thank you for your work.
Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

The game and patches will be available for download.

Magazine cover CDs with various versions should be coming out soon. PC Gamer should have a beta version 3 on their next issue. Production scheduling means magazine cover CDs are sometimes pushed back, especially something as large as this.

If you get a cover CD - PATCH IT !!!

Our future "for sale" games are our own and are not affected by SSI/Mattel.

[This message has been edited by Paul Vebber (edited September 02, 2000).]
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

Ahhhh Good question. Matrix Games has been talking with secure a very large FTP server that should allow everyone to download the game for free. We do expect some access problems as demand so high for this game. As for getting a CD there is very little we can do now that EzGamer closed its doors. We are looking into some other ideas to change this. Remember that PCGamer will have SPWaW v3.0b in their Oct issue and Computer Gaming World should have SPWaW v4.0 in their Dec issue. We are still working on it.

David

Red Baron

Post by Red Baron »

Hi Crew..
Fist of all..THANKS FOR A VERY GOOD AND WITH OUT ANY QUESTION THE BEST SP GAME EVER!!
Second; David you mention access prob. what excactly do you meen? And what about the size of the DL..?
Regards..Red Baron.
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

I meant that our old ISP really can not afford to allow us to have everyone downloading the game for free. I am making other arrangements now to correct this before the release of v4.0

David
Hans

Post by Hans »

When I posted "Distributing the Ver. 3.0 Patch", I meant the new V4.0, of course. As there still seem to be problems with server bandwidth, it could be useful to have multiple download sites. As mentioned before, my brother and I could provide one.

Greetings,
Hans Frederking
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.
Panther

Post by Panther »

I was away for a couple of days Ver. 4? . Boy did this scare me, until I found this thread. Image
Thanks Panther
bluesdawg

Post by bluesdawg »

David,
Thanks for the great info. I can't wait to get my hands on this. I'm sure you guys are working as hard as possable to get a good distrubution channel.
...again , a big thanks

------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It takes a lot to win a war....to lose one it takes everything you have"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It takes a lot to win a war....to lose one it takes everything you have"
Epicurius

Post by Epicurius »

The bandwidth issue should not be so much of a problem. The key is to spread this out a little with some of your fanatics.....er....fans Image Like me! I saw another guy saying something about hosting the download of the game for a limited amount of time. It is free. Just coordinate the download through A LOT of different servers. Here is what I will offer to you.......Give me a copy of the game and I will attempt to do what EZgamer did, I will burn the games onto cd until either my computer breaks or my cd burner breaks. I will not put any flashy graphics on it though...It will just be a verbatim cd with black or red sharpy pen writing on it.

QUESTION:

Will 4.0 utilize the 2.3 engine? What I am saying is...will we HAVE to download 300mb again? Or can we just patch up the version that we have?

Please let me know what you think all all of the above.

E

UHHHHHHH....anyone going to respond?

[This message has been edited by Epicurius (edited September 06, 2000).]
Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

There will be a patch. The maps and scenarios of old games will mostly work in the new game, but new v 4 scenarios will not work in versions 3 and back hence the "major mark" change.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”