Age Of Rifles??

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

m10bob

Age Of Rifles??

Post by m10bob »

Gee...Has anybody here ever heard of this fine game?

I have heard it would be a nice game to see again??[:D]

Hertston

RE: Age Of Rifles??

Post by Hertston »

If by 'Age of Rifles' you mean the game that always gets the most mentions every time there is a "which oldie but goodie should Matrix smarten up and release next" thread then, nope, never heard of it. [;)]
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

yeah, out of all the old wargames they could re-release or remake this one seems like a no-brainer...who's sitting on the rights to this? I would be happy with a XP re-release.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

If by 'Age of Rifles' you mean the game that always gets the most mentions every time there is a "which oldie but goodie should Matrix smarten up and release next" thread then, nope, never heard of it. [;)]

Hmmmm...81 "hits" in the forum already..Must be some interest in this title, hmmm?[&o]

Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

Of all the old wargame titles, AOR is the one I've wanted the most, and never gets done. [:(]

I can't believe it is that much more difficult to obtain the rights for it than any of the others...
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

Yeah, it was an SSI title...which means Ubisoft...which means keeps dreaming, boys.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
terbare

Post by terbare »

If we can only dream of age of rifles...I wonder is there a substitute
out there?
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: terbare

If we can only dream of age of rifles...I wonder is there a substitute
out there?

Anybody who has ever played AGE OF RIFLES knows the answer is......no.

The possibilities which might be given a remake are limitless.................
In that the game was truly a "wargame construction set", the scenerio/campaign creation capability was limitless, as well.

sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

This title is a seasonal classic that always comes up when the subject of re-releases is mentioned. I am certain that there is a large amount of interest in this old classic and it certainly merits an update. I guess we can continue to hope. There is always the project that anvil is working on, but that is probably many months/years from release. Maybe the editor that will come with Warriors of Russia can handle this era.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
Eirhead

Post by Eirhead »

Played AOR for years,still do now & again (DosBox),but feel it's to old both in graphics and gameplay/interface to bother updating,esp. the editor which could have been more streamlined IMHO,much better to start from scratch.
Does ANYONE know what happened to Black Powder Wars:BON??? Is it dead and if so why is it still on Matrix site?There was a forum for it but it seems to be MIA.
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

BON was cancelled and the Developer has joined the Warriors of Russia team, I believe. I haven't read much new about WoR lately either, though Magnus did post some screenshots not long ago. I have very high hopes for WoR.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

Do you mean Wargame Construction Set III: Age of Rifles 1846-1905?

It was produced by SSI as part of Mindscape.  Mindscape was sold to Mattel and then was sold to Ubisoft.

It was a very good game, but it was not updated for Windows just like many of the classic wargames from that era.

JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

There is this other wargame construction kit that is available from Matrix Games. You might have heard of it...Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III, affectionately known as TOAW III...[;)]

Some creative scenario designers have even done a decent job with recreating some battles from the "Age of Rifles" though admittedly, it is best at 20th Century Warfare.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Can ya' hear the crickets chirpin' tonight?[:D]

JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

I think that's what's referred to as "an awkward silence"...[:D]
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

That was the sound just before the last Battle of the Alamo. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

carnifex

Post by carnifex »

Aaaah, Age of Rifles.   Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, no game delivered greater firepower against the darkies.   Need to zap out some Zulu?  Slaughter some Sepoys?  Annihilate the Ayrabs!  Shoot some Sioux? AoR was your game!
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Speaking of which anyone know how to get the sound working on XP and an Audigy sound card? I can't get DOSBOX to work or that VDSM program either. The game works fine, just no boom boom lol.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast
Yeah, it was an SSI title...which means Ubisoft...which means keeps dreaming, boys.

It's not as they are ever likely to do anything with it; and even the Ubi suits can work out that selling the license for a little cash is better than letting it sit and rot for no cash. Failing that, how about a game that does pretty much the same thing as Age of Rifles? A project for Koios when they get bored with Panzer Command, maybe?

I could never get the sound to work under XP, either. I'm not sure it ever worked under Windows 98 come to that.
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

Aside from their willingness to allow other firms to rework the Steel Panther franchise, I've read in a few places that Ubi has shown total disinterest in doing anything with old SSI licenses, or allowing another firm to obtain them from them for anything less than an exorbitant fee. And, they have enough franchises that make them a ton of money that they really CAN afford to just sit on them.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

Return to “General Discussion”