Advice Needed: Clicking Fatigue

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

CactusAF

Advice Needed: Clicking Fatigue

Post by CactusAF »

Hello everyone,

I purchased WitP about six-weeks ago and can't help but be impressed by the immensity of it all.

That said I'm really struggling with the managment of even the smallest campaigns. No doubt you're all familiar with the term "click-fest." Well, I'm finding myself overwhelmed by the amount of clicking that's involved as I negotiate all the menus and go about selecting this and that. What's a little daunting about it all is that just KNOWING what to do, developing a strategy and then implementing it successfully. is tough enough. But, I find myself spending hours just organizing my forces and managing the games logistics, click, click, click, click, click.

Am I doing something wrong, or is that just the nature of the beast? [:)]

CAF
Nikademus

RE: Advice Needed: Clicking Fatigue

Post by Nikademus »

keyboard shortcuts are your friend.

believe they are in the manual
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

But aside from those, yes... It IS the nature of the beast...[;)]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Roger Neilson II

Post by Roger Neilson II »

Its a brilliant game that badly needs a rewrite of the interface with an eye on ergonomics!

Click fest is right, and you are doomed to it... doomed I say, doomed........

Roger[:D]
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

You forgot to add the maniacal laughter and excessive number of exclamation marks... Here, let me do it for you:

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!

[;)]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Roger Neilson II

Post by Roger Neilson II »

You are too kind sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CactusAF

Post by CactusAF »

Thanks everyone for your replies.

One really cool aspect of the game is that it allows you to explore so many aspects of operations in the Pacific Theatre. Right now, I'm fighting in the SW Pacific and doing quite well. In reading the posts on the board here I became aware of the concept of the Japanese death star. Well I've constructed several of land-based versions of my own, the first at Port Moresby and the second at Guadalcanal. I've put so much emphasis on building up these super-bases that it's hard for me not to see my own play as being gamey in a sort, ahistorical. But I have to say that it has been effective. The KB really doesn't want to go on station against a base with several hundred fighters on CAP and a steady rotation of defending surface battlegroups in the designated hex. I realize that these tactics likely wouldn't fly against a human opponent.

I have to agree though that the interface could use some doctoring. As things stand now I'm afraid that my hand and wrist are going to give out before the scenario list!

CAF
mc3744

Post by mc3744 »

The interface, of course, can't be helped. Like it or not, that's what we get.

My little suggestion is to forget about knowing it all. I've been playing 3 years and I'm still learning.

Just play with what you know, there comes a time when you eventually have a grasp and feel the need to know more on something. At that point go read the manual, the forum and post questions.

I know for sure that every "experienced" player on this forum has started and re-started dozens of times at first. Just play, get the feeling and it'll just come to you.

Of course you have to do a few little side things to help:
- 3 hours of gym per day: mens sana in corpore sano! [:'(]
- 4 hours og game type in the "loto" position [8D]
- reading at least one book per week on the war in the Pacific [8|]
- lear by heart all the tech specifications of every aircraft built in the world between 1930 and 1946 ... and the pilots names!!! [;)]

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Nec recisa recedit
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

You forgot:

- Be able to recognize and name obscure ships from grainy old pictures. Extra credit if you can quote the TROM.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
CactusAF

Post by CactusAF »

ORIGINAL: Mynok

You forgot:

- Be able to recognize and name obscure ships from grainy old pictures. Extra credit if you can quote the TROM.
As long as I dont have to click on the picture and select the proper name from a pop up list I think that I will do fine. I really like the game but it may be that each copy should include a referral profile to an occupational therapist (reference: carpal tunnel disease). [;)]
dtravel

Post by dtravel »

Okay, all you old-timers here may want to pay attention.  I'm going to say something nice about WiTP.

Ready?

Its not a click-fest.

A click-fest is when you have to mouse click very precisely a lot very fast.  You don't have to click quickly here.  But other than that, yes, the interface [X(]  Image [font="times new roman"] *gets buried under the horde of people sick of hearing me complain*[/font]
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

There is a lot of clicking involved, but as you become more familiar with the game this decreases a bit. You learn where you need to click and where you don't on an average turn, eliminating a lot of unnecessary work.

That said I do suggest you learn clickly, before carpal tunnel syndrome can set in.
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

Unfortunately, there's a lot of clicking, and not much can be done about it.

One little tidbit I figured out is that, if you're on a TF screen, and you "create a new TF" from that screen, the new TF will retain the same home port as the TF you were viewing previously.

That sort of thing can help if, maybe you're creating several TFs at San Francisco, to head to Pearl.  Maybe you want several TFs, because some transport TFs will make 10kts and you want another that can make 16kts.  And maybe you have a ASW TF to follow.  And maybe you got a new CV and want to send her to PH as well.

You can create the first TF.  Set home port to PH.  click "return to PH" (saves you from having to click "set destination" then scrolling and clicking on PH).  Then create the new TFs from that TF screen (with PH as it's home port).  All the subsequent TFs will have PH as their destination, so when you create them, you can just click "return to PH" for each TF, and they'll all be heading to PH.  It's still a lot of clicking, but it saves you the "set home port", scroll to PH, click PH, "set destination", scroll to PH, click PH.

Every little bit helps.
-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Rafael Warsaw

Post by Rafael Warsaw »

Well,
"Btw" Bloody shambles! is a great name to a new thread for all those frustrated with some aspects of this software like

User Hostile Interface, ALL THOSE DAMN COUNTLESS CLIKS ON THOSE DAMN SMALL SCREENS!!!!! DAMN!!!! HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF CLIKS just to make all plane transfer from ONE air base to another base or 20 out of 40 LCUs to move somewhere, ALL, ALL THOSE HUNDREDS CLICKS JUST TO GATHER SOME INFO FROM ALL OF THOSE SMALL SCREENS!!!! AND ALL OF THOSE ENDLESS CLICKS AND SCROLLS JUST TO POINT AIR FIELD TO TRANSFER SOME AGs CLICK CLICK CLICK SCROLL! ITS STUPID! ITS A WASTE OF TIME! ITS FUBAR!

THIS GAME'S INTERFACE IS RIDICILOUS AND PATHETIC!

anyone have heard about multiple selection?
- no gentlemen, we like when You click and scroll thats why
ALL OF THOSE IN GAME SCREENS ARE SO SMALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this game.
IJArmy: 10% of Planning, 90% of Faith. BANZAI!
"A long and studied assessment of your situation, fabertong leads me to reach the unescapable conclusion that your fcuked mate. Hope this helps." by Raverdave.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”