What is wrong with this picture?

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Cpt Sherwood

What is wrong with this picture?

Post by Cpt Sherwood »

I got a message that the troops surrendered last turn. When I do a rollover, it says there are 1500 troops there now. Here is the combat report:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 53,33

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 6222 troops, 32 guns, 3 vehicles, Assault Value = 143

Defending force 603 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 15

Japanese max assault: 143 - adjusted assault: 141

Allied max defense: 13 - adjusted defense: 3

Japanese assault odds: 47 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
9 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
662 casualties reported
Guns lost 3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments
WTH.jpg
WTH.jpg (13.83 KiB) Viewed 28 times
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Scott_USN

RE: What is wrong with this picture?

Post by Scott_USN »

Sure there were not more then one unit there? Sometimes only one or a couple surrender but the hard or elite units can hold out much longer.

Ahh I see what you mean there was only 600 or so on the combat screen. There is a chance one moved in right when the other gave it up.
Cpt Sherwood

Post by Cpt Sherwood »

But, look at the picture. The hex with both of us in it only shows a "J" for zone of control. And there is no hex in teh 6 around it that a unit was in or could have been in.
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Local Yokel

Post by Local Yokel »

What strikes me about the combat report is that the Allies suffered 59 casualties more than the size of their defending force and additionally lost 3 non-existent guns.  I speculate that the game engine is generating a negative value for a "surviving" Allied force.  Maybe the engine treats that negative value as indicating the presence of a unit that must be displayed, but correctly infers from the value being negative that there's no Allied ZOC.  Suggests that something went wrong in combat resolution code such as to yield such a negative value in the first place.

Is/was the Allied LCU a guerilla unit?  Could that have any bearing on it?

Of course all the above may be garbage if the combat report doesn't accurately display pre- and post-combat force levels!
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

There could be 2 things:

- FOW
- Disabled units not shown in combat (as having 0 AV), but could be in the casualties list.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
saj42

Post by saj42 »

There were probably two units in the hex - 1 Guerrila infantry unit and the Route Army HQ. HQs do not show up on the land combat screen but of course do take casualties.
What mod/scenario is this?
Banner by rogueusmc
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Tallyho!

There were probably two units in the hex - 1 Guerrila infantry unit and the Route Army HQ. HQs do not show up on the land combat screen but of course do take casualties.
What mod/scenario is this?

i think the disabled units is most likely - you can fight a force with "0 men 0 guns 0 vehicles", win, and eliminate a few thousand men, dozens of guns and a couple of vehicles - because all of them were disabled and so don't show up in opposition column in the combat results.

It is not terribly uncommon in "siege" situations. it always makes for a double-take for me, until i realize what is going on.
Cpt Sherwood

Post by Cpt Sherwood »

The next turn I attacked and killed 600+, 6+ guns and the unit surrendered. This time there was no unit left. I was wondering why the hex showed only a "J" in it and not an "AJ". I was thinking that there might be some kind of phantom unit problem.

Return to “Tech Support”