buildings at other bases

UFO: Extraterrestrials is a futuristic real-time/turn-based strategy blend set on the fictional planet of Esperanza in 2025. Having made a bloody first contact with a strange form of life from another planet, the player is thrust into the tough position of leading the defense of this isolated planet against the never-ending assault of these hostile invaders
delijoe

buildings at other bases

Post by delijoe »

Why is there only a hanger, energy center, rocket defense, and detection system available at other bases?

Can I not build workshops, labs, etc at the other bases?
evilferretvictim

RE: buildings at other bases

Post by evilferretvictim »

No... I believe the other bases are there so you can *secure* the territory and have wider rader/air support around the globe.   Not that it matters....Hell I can barely afford 2 bases :) 
delijoe

Post by delijoe »

ORIGINAL: evilferretvictim

No... I believe the other bases are there so you can *secure* the territory and have wider rader/air support around the globe. Not that it matters....Hell I can barely afford 2 bases :)

What was the reason to make that change? I think that's rediculous... What do you do if the aliens attack a secondary base when there's no soldiers there?
evilferretvictim

Post by evilferretvictim »

Well, after looking through the files I believe there are only 24 soldiers in total as it is. Since you can no longer buy them like they were nothing, you are going to be hurting to even protect your main base if you have a few complete failure missions during gameplay.

In X-Com UFO Defense there were no real territories. You could build all of your bases in the US if you wanted, and it would still be possible for an alien base to establish in the US. With the system they have setup, you can effectively *own* the entire planet provided you have the defenses setup to ward off an attack.

It's a different approach to the game and I believe it makes more sense in a lot of ways. Your transport craft is going to be able to travel across the entire planet anyways, leaving the secondary base hangers open for fighters..

delijoe

Post by delijoe »

If it ain't broke don't fix it... I can understand tying the number of scientists and engineers to a fixed # per building, but I don't get not being able to build in other bases...

It's an artificial limitation that makes no sense...
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Let's be honest everyone, while Xcom is a bonafide classic, the game was not that difficult to beat. We like it for the tactical missions, but overall it did not take long to master even the most difficult settings (though the Alien hoards did give you a tussle at the hardest setting.)  Think back to all the superbases you built and the supermen soldiers you had which the Aliens could never keep pace with. Recall how research and manufacturing occured at a rapid rate because of all the labs you built. Think back to all the money you got when you sold off all of those excess weapons and alien corpses. This game is an attempt to remove some of the gluttony that we had when playing X Com and forcing us to be more careful and frugal in how we operate....it's all for the better!
Village Idiot

Post by Village Idiot »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

Let's be honest everyone, while Xcom is a bonafide classic, the game was not that difficult to beat. We like it for the tactical missions, but overall it did not take long to master even the most difficult settings (though the Alien hoards did give you a tussle at the hardest setting.)  Think back to all the superbases you built and the supermen soldiers you had which the Aliens could never keep pace with. Recall how research and manufacturing occured at a rapid rate because of all the labs you built. Think back to all the money you got when you sold off all of those excess weapons and alien corpses. This game is an attempt to remove some of the gluttony that we had when playing X Com and forcing us to be more careful and frugal in how we operate....it's all for the better!

Try playing TFtD...and tell me its easy even on Beginner.
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

Sorry Mr. X-Com whiz but quite a few people had a tussle with the original. This game is missing a list of things...see other thread. It's a decent effort from a new developer but it's basically a dumbed down version of X-Com. I can't agree that it's all for the better, I see this dumbed down trend in far to many games these days..it's rather depressing.
sage

Post by sage »

I agree 100% -- they've dumbed down what was basically a perfect game. It's still pretty good, but the more I play, the more I miss x-com.

If I could get x-com to run reasonably well on XP, with high-res graphics, I'd ask for nothing more.
ORIGINAL: LitFuel

Sorry Mr. X-Com whiz but quite a few people had a tussle with the original. This game is missing a list of things...see other thread. It's a decent effort from a new developer but it's basically a dumbed down version of X-Com. I can't agree that it's all for the better, I see this dumbed down trend in far to many games these days..it's rather depressing.
pad152

Post by pad152 »

One would think, if your going to make a UFO game, you'd start and include everything from X-Com, then add some new things and not by taking things out[8|]

I guess it's true, there is no such thing as a good remake!
Village Idiot

Post by Village Idiot »

You know I realised that without the Aliens chucking Alien Grenades/Sonic Pulars left and right at you like in X-COM 1 & 2, they're just not really difficult to beat this time round.

The only aliens I'm having trouble with ATM are the Volons. Takes multiple Laser Rifle hits to kill em.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Well we just need to respectfully agree to disagree but I think too many of you are too wrapped up in the original game to fully enjoy this one...........
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

Well we just need to respectfully agree to disagree but I think too many of you are too wrapped up in the original game to fully enjoy this one...........

It has nothing to do with being wrapped up in the original...with so many posts I see players say, well I kind of understand this or that in the new game I can live with it type comments. Well, add them all up and that list of things missing is pretty long , this isn't about X-Com it's about a game that's missing all these "features" 12 years after the fact...Like was said they should be adding new things not taking away. I might as well just play X-Com to get a full complete game. They are the ones who chose to closely copy a classic, then they back off and drop so many features that it turns what could have been a great game into just a good game, that you might as well just play the classic. As this game is right now, it's going to get old very quick...it's missing to much to have any long lasting value.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

My only question then is, how do you know something is "missing" unless you are using the original game as a benchmark?  Sure there are things that can be recommended as improvements, but what I see in many of these posts are complaints based on what is in the original.  It is one thing to compare the two games, that's something we all do with many titles, but to expect a certain XCom feature in a game is something else entirely. This game, despite the UFO in the title, is not a direct licence of the old title and, with the exception of posters and reviewer, I cannot find an advertisement or official game description on the ET website that makes such a connection...

Iskandar

Post by Iskandar »

without resorting to comparing it to X-Com, i can point out several missing features:

minimap
tooltips
information overview
the ability to change screen resolution and scroll speed in game
keyboard shortcuts, for the most part
buttons for saving AP for kneeling/firing (this was not just an X-Com thing, also in Jagged Alliance and Silent Storm)
damage to shot down UFO's (this is common sense. if I jsut finished blasting it with lasers and missles it should not have come down in one piece, darn it)
and that is just off the top of my head.

and saying this game is not a direct remake of X-Com is just silly. yeah ,they don't claim it, they don't won't any kind of legal action taken against them. but anyone who has played the original X-Com can see immediately what this game is based off of. and some of the things they cut out of this game make no sense. they streamlined a lot of things, and in some cases this works well. in other cases, not so much.

that is my point, really. I don't have issues with the way they changed the game play, for the most part (not being able to build true secondary bases confuses me), it is the interface, the GUI, that irritates me to no end. they could have done better, a lot better.
GalacticOrigins

Post by GalacticOrigins »

Actually, I have to agree with JP. This is a good game. I think it makes sense to limit certain things. The original could be beat in a very short time since a player could load up on scientists and research items very fast. Besides, having 9 fully outfitted bases makes no sense.

I really do not see what is 'missing'. Sure, the capability to build specialized bases is gone, but in the old game territories could not be claimed. I think this game adds that nicely. (Of course, in the old game, the aliens were hard to shoot down and there were fewer of them early on, but still this game has merit.) There is more air action this time around.

About the only thing I would have changed is that there are a lot of standard weapons already available. Still, the limits on the soldiers, scientists and inventors is nice.

This is a different game, not a true clone (thankfully).

Oh, and besides, the best part of the first game was the music, which was definately 'in the mood'. I do believe I played X-COM before I ever saw the X-Files [:)].

Edit. Er, yeah no minimap. Gee, that used to make the game EASY. This is fine.
gunnergoz

Post by gunnergoz »

ORIGINAL: GalacticOrigins

snip...
Oh, and besides, the best part of the first game was the music, which was definately 'in the mood'. I do believe I played X-COM before I ever saw the X-Files [:)].

Do you or any others here know where I can get the original X-COM music files, preferably in a conventional format?
"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

I am enjoying the game and with any luck the developers will attened the boards and start patching/enhancing the game like some of the other Matrix titles.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Plodder

Post by Plodder »

Do you or any others here know where I can get the original X-COM music files, preferably in a conventional format?

Yep,You can get the music from the Playstation version in mp3 format at http://www.xcomufo.com  but the site seems to be down at the moment..

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."
JHAYES3489

RE: Can't dismantle a base?

Post by JHAYES3489 »

I WISH YOU COULD DISMANTLE/SELL OFF A BASE TO RID YOURSELF OF THE FINANCIAL BURDEN. UNLESS I'M MISSING SOMETHING, I WAS NOT ABLE TO DELETE/SELL EVERYTHING.

Return to “UFO: Extraterrestrials”