Sign Here if you Want DEATH!

UFO: Extraterrestrials is a futuristic real-time/turn-based strategy blend set on the fictional planet of Esperanza in 2025. Having made a bloody first contact with a strange form of life from another planet, the player is thrust into the tough position of leading the defense of this isolated planet against the never-ending assault of these hostile invaders
siRkid

RE: Sign Here if you Want DEATH!

Post by siRkid »

Very disappointed to hear this. I was really hoping that someone finally got it right. Keep the basic concepts of the game then update graphics, improve interface, extent the tech tree and deepen the storyline. Man if Politically Correctness hits the war gamming community, we might as well get used to playing games where you hug your enemy into becoming your friend. Your score will be based on effective hugs.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

my only hassle with this whole thing is, what did the Beta testers and the designers have to say about ?

maybe there is a reason, why they wanted it this way

on top of things, it may sound like a bad idea, but they may have there reasons for wanting it to be that way

maybe the AI or the Aliens are too good, to let you try and play the game with all your troops getting killed all the time ?

or, maybe they just don't like dieing

I think we got to wait and see how it works and why it works, and then start complaining

Falesh

Post by Falesh »

Man if Politically Correctness hits the war gamming community, we might as well get used to playing games where you hug your enemy into becoming your friend. Your score will be based on effective hugs.

What has this got to do with political correctness?
Widell

Post by Widell »

ORIGINAL: Falesh
Man if Politically Correctness hits the war gamming community, we might as well get used to playing games where you hug your enemy into becoming your friend. Your score will be based on effective hugs.
What has this got to do with political correctness?

I think it was related to the hilarious post of governments in Europe banning games where people actually die (Sh*t, I used the D-word! I hope my ISP doesn't shut me down, and the secret police come knocking on my door with their immaculate set of intriguingly engineered interrogation tools[X(])

Honestly, if this seemingly stupid decision has anything to do with not wanting death in a game, I think Matrix are dating the wrong the people here....but the vote here thread was not intended to discuss, so I'll just leave it at that.....Oh, wait, anyone related to the game designers could imagine shedding some light on this issue?
orogogus

Post by orogogus »

A horrible design decision. Why take all the time to recreate one of the best games of all time and then break a key feature of the game??

I was really looking forward to buying the game and now I won't until this decision is either reconsidered or some sort of toggle is put in...
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

It's not enough to cause me to just say "Screw it!", but it is odd. Of all the changes to make, that one would be way down my list...Hell, it probably wouldn't have occurred to me at all.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

See my "rumor control" post please.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Widell

Post by Widell »

ORIGINAL: Widell

Signed.....

Signing this call again after checking Erik's post above
misadlouhy

Post by misadlouhy »

there is no need for D.E.A.T.H in the game

your soldiers will need to recover from bad bad bad wounds in hospital for a very long time
and if you loose your team, you will loose all your soldiers, so why you bother to mourn?
Widell

Post by Widell »

ORIGINAL: misadlouhy
there is no need for D.E.A.T.H in the game

your soldiers will need to recover from bad bad bad wounds in hospital for a very long time
and if you loose your team, you will loose all your soldiers, so why you bother to mourn?

Come on, read some of the discussion on the other threads on this topic. I have explained, as have others, why soldiers should die rather than have the remains of their brains collected and be rebuilt. Why I bother? I want a good UFO game. This is a place to discuss what makes a good UFO game. Why do you bother?
misadlouhy

Post by misadlouhy »

i bother because i want to play the game as it is and this recovering from mortal wounds instead of dying seems fine to me
Widell

Post by Widell »

ORIGINAL: misadlouhy

i bother because i want to play the game as it is and this recovering from mortal wounds instead of dying seems fine to me

And I bother because I want to play the game with soldiers dying, and collecting "brain pieces" to put in cloned copies does not seem fine to me. Can we agree to not agree [;)]
Tactics

Post by Tactics »

I had no idea soldiers couldn't die.  The game is off my list pending a patch that changes this aspect of the game.  Regarding the "Rumor Control" thread - I'm skipping this title, dispite what you say.  If soldiers can't die, it most certainly will not feel like X-Com.

Signed...

Bromley

Post by Bromley »

After the initial reaction wore off, I'm not too bothered about the design decision as long as it works.  Only time will tell on the last part, but given the success of games like JA and even Xcom games (as enjoyed by reloading people), there's obviously a market for eternal youth.
Tactics

Post by Tactics »

It's not really about re-loading, for me. It's more about realism and making sense. If a rocket takes off the head of one of my soldiers and incinerates his body....how does he come back to life in 30 or 40 days later.
sage

Post by sage »

ORIGINAL: Tactics

It's not really about re-loading, for me. It's more about realism and making sense. If a rocket takes off the head of one of my soldiers and incinerates his body....how does he come back to life in 30 or 40 days later.

:=) Magic!

Yeah, it irritates me too. They've made a gamey decision that I really don't agree with, and then balanced it by making another gamey decision that I don't agree with (severely limiting the number of soldiers you can have).

It's really a bummer that I didn't choose to handle this more like x-com. I liked having hordes of faceless troops, with only a few good guys that had survived and become veterans.
Falesh

Post by Falesh »

If you don't like it then fairs fair. But I don't think it is right to rubbish it. Troopers can get hit by rockets, grenades, etc and survive so I do not see why if they have good head armour they can't recover some brain. Just like a black box in an aeroplane, if there is something small and valuable it can be possible to protect it even from the worst crash.

Sure there may be some death where the aliens unleash hell and keep shooting at the dead body where the brain is totally wasted. But come on this is a game not a simulator, so long as there isn't a problem with the majority of cases then it's fine by me.
Bromley

Post by Bromley »

ORIGINAL: Tactics

Bear in mind I'm not an apologist for the limited-death design decision, but the logic might be:
(a) We're talking about a sci fi setting where our side starts out more technologically advanced than in Xcom.
(b) All soldiers are fitted with black boxes/cortical stacks/insert-other-high-tech-thing-here.
(c) If you recover that device (i.e. if you win a battle), then you can download it into a cloned body.

I think they've taken the tack that there's a black box storage unit in the armour suit. You might also be able to explain the real death of tank drivers by saying that the exploding vehicle destroys any recording device (as I've read that troops driving vehicles die). That seems a little spurious to me, especially if your infantry don't suffer real death from grenade/rocket attacks, but I'm willing to suspend belief for that (solid state, extremely duarble storage etc.)

For me, the realism part hinges on how they handle (c). So if you flee a battle with unrecovered men down and it still takes them to hospital, that will grate with me. Probably won't stop me getting the game though :) .
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

"For me, the realism part hinges on how they handle (c). So if you flee a battle with unrecovered men down and it still takes them to hospital, that will grate with me. Probably won't stop me getting the game though :) . "

That about sums it up for me as well.....it would be a nice touch if you needed to physically maneuver a soldier over a body, then transfer over to the inventory screen where you would need to expend AP's retreiving the brain thingy from the ground, in order to bring your trooper back for another day.....
Falesh

Post by Falesh »

From what I have read (I am sleepy so this may be inaccurate [;)]), if you retreat then all dead soldiers are lost, if you lose then all dead soldiers are lost. The only way they can be recovered is if you win the mission, if that is the case the troops have plenty of time to go back and collect their dead.

Return to “UFO: Extraterrestrials”