War cycle every 110 - 150 years

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

CSO_Talorgan

War cycle every 110 - 150 years

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

Can anyone remember the name of the theory about humanity convulsing itself in war every 110 - 150 years? The other elements of the theory were that there was a predominant economic power between each of the cycles as a change of predominant economic power could only come about as a result of a war. I think too the succeeding major economic power was always to the west of the last predominant economic power.
Twotribes

RE: War cycle every 110 - 150 years

Post by Twotribes »

Well except the world wars were only 20 years apart. And Europe had a war ever 20 or 30 years from what the middle ages to the end of the World wars?
Favoritism is alive and well here.
old man of the sea

Post by old man of the sea »

I think it was the "Dumb War Theory".

E   [:D]
"Point me to a 'civilised' part of the General Forum and I'll steer way clear of it." - Soddball

Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I never have been able to make out the numbers.
Greyhunterlp

Post by Greyhunterlp »

ORIGINAL: old man of the sea

I think it was the "Dumb War Theory".

E [:D]

theres such thing as a "smart" war? they all look pritty dumb to me.
Where I Go, Chaos Follows
Laryngoscope

Post by Laryngoscope »

theres such thing as a "smart" war? they all look pritty dumb to me.

I don't know. I think war is a natural consequence of evolution which is a natural consequence of thermodynamics (if you follow it to its logical conclusion).

In other words "war" is not endemic to humans (we just do it on a larger scale). Conflict may be as intrinsic to the fabric of life (with limited resources) as pi, e and i are intrinsic to the fabric of mathematics.

I am not a war monger, just an observation.
"It is not a Commonwealth division, it is an Australian Division. Why, give me two Australian Divisions and I will conquer the world for you!"

-- Erwin Rommel
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

The idea that all wars are dumb and there is no good reason to ever fight, is why Western Civilization is in danger of being swept away. I am sure the Nations that fought Germany in WW1 and WW2 were dumb also right?

The United States should believe it caused Japan to attack it in WW2 because we quit selling scrap metal and oil to them, over a war? Britian and France should have just allowed their ally Poland to be swept under by Germany? Preventing Serbia from making war on her neigbors ( a war also) was of course dumb as well?

Fighting terrorism has to be the dumbest war of all, I mean all we need do is convert to the right forum of Islam, sell out the jews and give Iran a nuclear capability and all will be fine in the world. But of curse make sure its the right form, I mean Muslims butcher each other every day because one form isnt as good as another, or because someone put a cucumber next to a tomato.

Yup I agree all wars are dumb.
Ursa MAior

Post by Ursa MAior »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Well acording to John Keegan, of whose achievements you are probably absolute aware, writing in his History of Warfare, "The time when conventional wars become obsolete are maybe not that far away". Since ALL wars (except for some liberations which are really the minority) are fought NOT for the greater glory of mankind but for rather the very precisely specified goals of some people in the elite. Its been so since the beginning of the warfare, so in that sense all wars are dumb cuz they dont really serve any purpose (except for some people getting rich from it, and some dieing in it -also from the ancient sumers' time).

You hit the the nail on the head!
Art by the amazing Dixie
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

He's being sarcastic...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Ursa MAior

Post by Ursa MAior »

Who me? [;)] Yes I am.

Oh Twotribes. I miss that we are open 24/7 to-be-beefsteak sign from you signature.
Art by the amazing Dixie
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I think TwoTribes was too...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Ursa MAior

Post by Ursa MAior »

Oh I see than I presume I have a bad hair day.
Art by the amazing Dixie
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

The idea that all wars are dumb and there is no good reason to ever fight, is why Western Civilization is in danger of being swept away. I am sure the Nations that fought Germany in WW1 and WW2 were dumb also right?

Thinking that "wars are dumb" and "not taking the fight" are two different pair of boots I would say.

I also think that waging wars is dumb, but if you have to wage one then you should do it too.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Just for you Ursa... read my signature line.

Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Well of course, the current war on terror is just a vast right wing conspiracy to make Bush and Cheney Rich. here is no threat at all from Islam or terrorism. Its all made up, why Cheney even remotely flew those airplanes into the World trade center. Using a Nintendo game pad of course.

You are such experets on America I thought you would know that Bush and Cheney have absolutely no control over their investments while in office. A board usually handles Presidential investments while they serve, A board that can and does act on its own with legally no input from the Owner of the Investments. In Cheney's case he even gave away his profits to charity if it was over a certain amount.

So what that means is, for all Bush and Cheney know their investments are now in cow turd futures. But yup they are getting rich by fighting against terrorism.

NOW if you really want to check out someone that got rich from being in the White House. Check out the Clintons net worth before being in the White House for 8 years and then check out their net worth after. Remember the President only gets paid 200k a year so even if he didnt spend a dime for 8 years he would only have made 1.6 million.

Isnt it interesting that after being President he and his wife own 2 properties worth millions each. But I degress, Hillary is a shrewd investor, she once invested 1000 dollars and in less than a year had made 100000 dollars.
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

Okay guys, let's not get this political. You know where you can discuss this. Otherwise it is going to get locked ASAP. You can discuss this without getting into recent affairs and stuff, or not?
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

I'm suprised we are still talking about war.

According to some of my more reputable sources the End of History happened ten years ago.
"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Well it depends, some groups thought the Turn of the Millinium would be the end times, there are other dates as well. The most well known being 2004, 2011. Even if true the cycle of the end times would be rather long, gotta get in all the famine, wars, plagues and vanishing people. And the Son of God and the false Son have to be on earth and identified.

Personally I believe we will have a collapse of most societies, long before any "end of Times", just from to many people and the failure of the family.
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

Well it depends, some groups thought the Turn of the Millinium would be the end times, there are other dates as well. The most well known being 2004, 2011. Even if true the cycle of the end times would be rather long, gotta get in all the famine, wars, plagues and vanishing people. And the Son of God and the false Son have to be on earth and identified.

Personally I believe we will have a collapse of most societies, long before any "end of Times", just from to many people and the failure of the family.

It was a book put out in the 90's.
"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."
robpost3

Post by robpost3 »

ORIGINAL: Maliki

I'm suprised we are still talking about war.

According to some of my more reputable sources the End of History happened ten years ago.
I heard that also, not just from one source either, and not just a religous source to boot...Some of the Multiverse theorists say that this particular manifestion is just a sad echo of what may have been playing itself over and over again. I think the branch in the contiuum was the Hinderburg never happened and we achieved peace, and industry was steam driven...[;)] The only reason I hang about in this incarnation is: it is the only branch for The Campaign Series and UFO ET[8D]
The Yankee Motto:
Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make do,
Or do without.
"God Help us, and God, come yourself.
Don't send Jesus, this is no place for children."

Rune Iversen

Post by Rune Iversen »

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior
Since ALL wars (except for some liberations which are really the minority) are fought NOT for the greater glory of mankind but for rather the very precisely specified goals of some people in the elite.

Manifestly untrue. But then again what can you expect from a product of the materialist school of history......
Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within

Return to “General Discussion”