The Coming Fury ARMY Names Mixup?

Post ALL Public Beta feedback here!

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

Gray_Lensman

The Coming Fury ARMY Names Mixup?

Post by Gray_Lensman »

This may have already been pointed out, but I couldn't find anything with the Search function...

When starting "The Coming Fury" scenario it seems the Confederate "Army of NE Virginia" and the Union "Army of the Potomac" have their names interchanged. The first time I noticed this I thought that I must be doing something wrong with the mouse or had a bad beta patch installation. However, since I reinstalled fresh, v1.23, then immediately beta patched to 1.94, it showed up again.

Further investigation revealed the names are switched in the AcwStart.txt file for "The Coming Fury"... in the respective /Scenarios folder.

Regards.
You've GOT to hold them back!
ericbabe

RE: The Coming Fury ARMY Names Mixup?

Post by ericbabe »

Confusingly both armies were called "Army of the Potomac" at one time or another.  Army of NE Virginia was indeed a US military group, and at Bull Run (in which that scenario starts) the main CSA military group was called the "Army of the Potomac."

Here's the Wikipedia article on these names:

The Army of the Potomac was created in 1861, but was only the size of a corps (relatively speaking). Its nucleus was called the Army of Northeastern Virginia, under Brigadier General Irvin McDowell, and it was the army that fought (and lost) the war's first major battle, the First Battle of Bull Run. The arrival in Washington, D.C., of Major General George B. McClellan dramatically changed the makeup of that army. McClellan's original assignment was to command the Division of the Potomac, which included the Department of Northeast Virginia under McDowell and the Department of Washington under Brig. Gen. Joseph K. Mansfield. On July 26, 1861, the Department of the Shenandoah, commanded by Maj. Gen. Nathaniel P. Banks, was merged with McClellan's departments and on that day, McClellan formed the Army of the Potomac, which was composed of all military forces in the former Departments of Northeastern Virginia, Washington, Baltimore, and the Shenandoah. The men under Banks's command became an infantry division in the Army of the Potomac.[1]
The Army of the Potomac was also the name given to General P.G.T. Beauregard's Confederate army during the early stages of the war (namely, First Bull Run; thus, the losing Union Army ended up adopting the name of the winning Confederate army). However, the name was eventually changed to the Army of Northern Virginia, which became famous under General Robert E. Lee. It is a popular, but mistaken, belief that Maj. Gen. John Pope commanded the Army of the Potomac in the summer of 1862 after McClellan's unsuccessful Peninsula Campaign. However, Pope's army consisted of different units and was named the Army of Virginia. During the time that the Army of Virginia existed, the Army of the Potomac was headquartered on the Virginia Peninsula, with McClellan still in command, although three corps of the Army of the Potomac were sent to northern Virginia and were under Pope's operational control during the Second Battle of Bull Run. The Army of the Potomac underwent many structural changes during its existence. It fought in most of the Eastern Theater campaigns, primarily in (Eastern) Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. It was disbanded on June 28, 1865, after the end of the war.
Gray_Lensman

Post by Gray_Lensman »

Thanx... Another reason I like gaming forums is the new things to be learned
TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

ORIGINAL: Gray_Lensman

Thanx... Another reason I like gaming forums is the new things to be learned
[:)]So true, i never knew the Mississipi was 9ft deep
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Now, now...
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Gray_Lensman

Post by Gray_Lensman »

It's Okay, Actually I learned a little from the Mississippi River exchange from Chris also, about the lower Mississippi that is, however, I never got a chance to thank him for the info, because the tone of his replies were way too intense for me to care about continuing the discussion with him. Evidently some steam powered sloops were able to transit up the Mississippi to Vicksburg, which he pointed out, I still disagree in game terms about being about to allow any and all blue water navy ships in FOF to transit the lower Mississippi, as a lot of them still represent deeper draft, sail powered ships and frigates. The Mississippi to this day has to be dredged continually to keep the channel clear for commercial usage, hence the minimum 9 ft ruling.
TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

[:)]Well, it was an entertaining read nonetheless. I can't believe there are such "loose cannons" roaming the forums these days LOL.
Besides, only i in my infinite wisdom know that the river is actually 17.5 feet deep and there are lephrechauns hiding in old cans at the bottom[:D].
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

christof139

Post by christof139 »

It's Okay, Actually I learned a little from the Mississippi River exchange from Chris also, about the lower Mississippi that is, however, I never got a chance to thank him for the info, because the tone of his replies were way too intense for me to care about continuing the discussion with him. Evidently some steam powered sloops were able to transit up the Mississippi to Vicksburg, which he pointed out, I still disagree in game terms about being about to allow any and all blue water navy ships in FOF to transit the lower Mississippi, as a lot of them still represent deeper draft, sail powered ships and frigates. The Mississippi to this day has to be dredged continually to keep the channel clear for commercial usage, hence the minimum 9 ft ruling.

Hey buddy, you tell me I am off a bit when the main channel of the Miss. River from around Reelfoot Lake to its mouht is way over 9-feet deep. You're off a bit. the dredging is for the barge channel not the main channel and that is TODAY, not during the ACW time when the main channel allowed sea going ships to reach Memphis if they chose to do so. farragut and his sea going ships roamed and fought from the mouth to Vicksburg.

During the ACW the main channel was very deep, and the holes gouged by the river were and are up to hundreds of feet deep. Today the main channel is deep.

There are indeed loose cannons here and you and a few others are them.

Today is today and not ACW times anyway. The river is a mile or so west of Vicksburg now and has meandered in other places so it is shallower. EVER THINK OF THAT!??!

Freaking whole board is composed of nuts, inuendo, know-it-alls, self-appointed and self-though-of military and historical experts that continually make very erroneous statements as part of their know-it-allism, and belittle others that just may also know and be aware of somethings and maybe even more things than their deluded selves.

Super Lorenz Rifled Musket, rnages and effectiveness charts of weapons that are very whacky, interfaces that are/were/should never have been approved for release as in they work like crapola, sea-going fleets that are at many times simply ornaments, riverine gunboats that didn't bombard as sea-going fleets still don't either and now when the gunboats bombard duting a siege it is hard to tell just what the heck they are doing, People that think all cvalry always fought dismounted and never made crushing mounted charges against enemy cav., infantry and artillery, and people that believe the Miss. River was only 9-foot deep in its main channel!!!

Seems the loose cannons have flocked together and been dropping guano anywhere they choose and squaking just to hear themselves sqwak.

It is very ridiculous and stupid.

9-feet deep!??!!! [8|][8|][8|] Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [>:][>:][>:]

This place is very similar to the Jerry Springer Show.

Have fun flocking together and patting each other on the back etc.

Chris
'What is more amazing, is that amongst all those approaching enemies there is not one named Gisgo.' Hannibal Barcid (or Barca) to Gisgo, a Greek staff officer, Cannae.
That's the CSS North Carolina BB-55
Boris Badanov, looking for Natasha Goodenov
Gray_Lensman

Post by Gray_Lensman »

Just what is your problem? I've even admitted that you taught me something and yet your behavior and tone just doesn't let up. Somebody is in serious need of a "time out".

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: christof139
Freaking whole board is composed of nuts, inuendo, know-it-alls, self-appointed and self-though-of military and historical experts that continually make very erroneous statements as part of their know-it-allism, and belittle others that just may also know and be aware of somethings and maybe even more things than their deluded selves.

<snip>

Seems the loose cannons have flocked together and been dropping guano anywhere they choose and squaking just to hear themselves sqwak.

<snip>

It is very ridiculous and stupid.

<snip>

This place is very similar to the Jerry Springer Show.

I warned you about this. Have fun taking some time away from the forum.

Sorry I had to do this, but you really need to cool off. Your perception of what's going on vs. what's actually going on are really two different things. Don't let the negative so far outweigh the positive and you might see what's really going on - people admire you for your knowledge, but distance themselves because of your attitude. People have been trying to get along with you and take your input into consideration, but you make it really difficult.

E-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com in a week if you'd like to return.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Dang Chris, I have enjoyed reading some of your informative posts, but when you act like this I don't enjoy any of them. I stay quiet. I'm praying for you, pray for me too! [;)]

Return to “Public Beta Feedback”