Costal Forts.

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

firepowerjohan

Costal Forts.

Post by firepowerjohan »

Any way to beat large garrisons at coastal forts by naval support? Do I need to have lots of siege artillery with me if I want to take for instance New Orleans?

In real ACW they had mortar boats pounding forts along the coast and without them I see it is almost impossible if enemy has stacked up 10k+ garrison to win with a naval landing unless I have 40k infantry and that require a 1863 sized navy.

Is there any way to get a naval bonus when attacking forts at the coast or if not that is one thing should be considered for future patches :)
I think, like with gunboats at river, without naval support many sieges would have failed when the numbers of USA infantry and CSA infantry was quite equally matched but the big naval support made the difference.

Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead developer of:
World Empires Live http://www.worldempireslive.com/
CEAW http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18
CNAW http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=52

Gil R.

RE: Costal Forts.

Post by Gil R. »

Currently this can't be done (it's a lot of programming and testing), but we definitely want to add it in the future.

If you've got engineers and siege artillery it won't take 40,000 men to take a CSA fort amphibiously. Sending two divisions really raises your chances of success, though.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Drex

Post by Drex »

I was able to take NO and all forts with a large siege army(4 siege units) at the Captain level. Navy was never involved.
Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

ORIGINAL: Drex

I was able to take NO and all forts with a large siege army(4 siege units) at the Captain level. Navy was never involved.

Well you can try that strategy against me in PBEM [8D]

You were playing the AI right? It probably had not sent enough units to New Orelans area.
Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead developer of:
World Empires Live http://www.worldempireslive.com/
CEAW http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18
CNAW http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=52

christof139

Post by christof139 »

I had a CSA Gunboat take losses once it moved through and then ended its turn pats a Union River Fleet, and the Union Ricer Fleet apparently was cut-off and seemed to vanis, but there was not any Naval combat on the Quick battle scree. Is that what is supposed to happen??

Chris

'What is more amazing, is that amongst all those approaching enemies there is not one named Gisgo.' Hannibal Barcid (or Barca) to Gisgo, a Greek staff officer, Cannae.
That's the CSS North Carolina BB-55
Boris Badanov, looking for Natasha Goodenov
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Yes, it is. Was there no message about the gunboat's loss?
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
christof139

Post by christof139 »

Yes, it is. Was there no message about the gunboat's loss?

Unfortunately, I don't rmember as usual. [&:] That happened some time ago. There may or may not have been info. on the end/new turn screen concerning the Gunboat.

I guess someone or me will have to do this again to find out. Sorry, I can't be definitive about this here.

Chris
'What is more amazing, is that amongst all those approaching enemies there is not one named Gisgo.' Hannibal Barcid (or Barca) to Gisgo, a Greek staff officer, Cannae.
Drex

Post by Drex »

All bets are off with PBEM. I only play the AI right now. If I have problems with the AI what business do I have playing a human? Its really a learning process for me right now. I took NO at captain but haven't come close at major level.
Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"
cesteman

Post by cesteman »

nice Avr Chritof. I need to find one!
Christian
christof139

Post by christof139 »

nice Avr Chritof. I need to find one!
Christian

Thanx, Avatars can be fun. That's one big boat, too. There actually was a CSS North Carolina ironclad, and a CSS Raleigh, but they didn't fare to well. Chris

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”