Brig Gen George Armstrong Custer (b 1837 - d 1876)

Call for Volunteers! This sub-forum is devoted to our ongoing project of researching and
writing brief biographical sketches of all 1000 Civil War generals, each
of whom has a chance of appearing when one plays "Forge of Freedom."
Players are invited to participate in providing info for these bios, which will be added to the game by means of patches, as they are
written.

Moderator: Gil R.

mikeejay2

Brig Gen George Armstrong Custer (b 1837 - d 1876)

Post by mikeejay2 »

Brig Gen George Armstrong Custer (b 1837 - d 1876) was born in New Rumley, Ohio. Custer spent much of his boyhood living in Monroe, Michigan, where he attended school and is now honored by a statue in the center of town. Before entering West Point, he taught school in Ohio. A local legend suggests that Custer obtained his appointment to the Academy due to a prominent resident, who wished to keep Custer away from his daughter. Custer graduated from West Point, last in his class, just after the start of the Civil War. His tenure at the academy was a rocky one and he came close to expulsion each of his four years due to excessive demerits, many from pulling pranks on fellow cadets. But he began a path to a distinguished war record, one that has been overshadowed in history by his role and fate in the Indian Wars. Custer was commissioned a 2nd lieutenant in the U .S. Cavalry and immediately joined his regiment for Bull Run, where he was ordered to carry messages for McDowell. After the battle he was reassigned to the 5th U.S. Cavalry, with which he served through the early days of the Peninsula Campaign in 1862. During the pursuit of Joe Johnston up the Peninsula, Custer persuaded a colonel to allow him to lead an attack with four companies of Michigan infantry near New Bridge. The attack was successful, capturing 50 Confederates. Major General McClellan termed it a "very gallant affair", congratulated Custer personally, and brought him onto his staff as an aide-de-camp with the temporary rank of captain. In this role, Custer began his lifelong pursuit of publicity. Three days prior to Gettysburg, Meade promoted Custer brevet brigadier general of the volunteers. Despite having no direct command experience, he became one of the youngest generals in the Union Army at age 23. Custer lost no time in implanting his aggressive character on his brigade. He fought against the Confederate cavalry of Stuart on the way to the main event. Custer's style of battle sometimes bordered on reckless or foolhardy. He often impulsively gathered up whatever cavalrymen he could find in his vicinity and led them personally in bold assaults directly into enemy positions. One of his greatest attributes during the Civil War was luck and he needed it to survive some of these charges. On one occasion against the brigade of Wade Hampton, Custer fell from his wounded horse directly before the enemy and became the target of numerous enemy rifles. He was rescued by the bugler, who galloped up, shot Custer's nearest assailant, and allowed Custer to mount behind him for a dash to safety. Possibly Custer's finest hour happened just east of Gettysburg. In conjunction with Pickett’s Charge, Lee had ordered Stuart's cavalry on a mission into the rear of the Union Army. Custer encountered the Union cavalry division of Gregg, directly in the path of Stuart's horsemen. He convinced Gregg to allow him to stay and fight, while his own division was stationed to the south out of the action. Hours of charges and hand-to-hand combat ensued. Custer led a mounted charge of the 1st Michigan Cavalry, breaking the back of the Confederate assault, foiling Lee's plan. In 1864, Custer was promoted to divisional commander after the Battle of the Wilderness. In April 1865 the Confederate lines were finally broken and Lee began his retreat to Appomattox Court House, pursued mercilessly by the Union cavalry. His division blocked Lee's retreat on its final day and received the first flag of truce from the Confederate force. Custer was present at the surrender at Appomattox Court House and the table upon which the surrender was signed was presented to him as a gift for his gallantry. After the war, Custer was offered command of the 10th Cav (the Buffalo Soldiers) as a colonel but chose the 7th Cav as a Lt colonel. He was killed by Indians on July 25, 1876. Custer is buried in the West Point Cemetery.

Gil R.

RE: Brig Gen George Armstrong Custer (b 1837 - d 1876)

Post by Gil R. »

Thanks. Too bad there wasn't room to go into Little Big Horn. But I guess most people know that...
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
jkBluesman

Post by jkBluesman »

There is a nice story on Custer at Appomattox (according to E. A. Alexander, Custer did not receive the first flag of truth): While Lee and Grant were already communicating on the terms of surrender, Custer rode to the Confederate lines and got with the help of his old West Point classmate Maj. Gibbes to Longstreet. Custer demanded the Confederate surrender or he and his forces would "pitch in". To which Longstreet said: "Pitch in as much as you like." And he ordered a staff officer to take Custer back to his men after this "impertinent errand".
"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz
chris0827

Post by chris0827 »

Custer ended the war a Major General of Volunteers. His promotion before Gettysburg was not a brevet promotion. Pleasonton recommended the promotion. Meade was still a corps commander.
mikeejay2

Post by mikeejay2 »

found a typo in my report custer was born in 1839 not 1837
shenandoah

Post by shenandoah »

Nice biography.  Most people know about Little Big Horn but little about his other "battles" with native tribes, Washita, OK 1868.  The natives first called him Hard Backside for his riding endurance and then Long Hair.  The people of Shenandoah Valley have other names for him since he helped Sheridan in the "Burning of the Valley" in 1864.  And all the little stories around here of the bad things Custer did while in the Valley.  I have read that upon hearing his death at Little Bighorn, most of the people in Shenandoah celebrated.  Saying he had it coming.  If he did only half of the things that people say he did here and what he did to natives, he did have it coming to him.  I hope I don't affend anyone by saying that. And sorry if I do but he wasn't a nice guy.
Shenandoah
Marc gto

Post by Marc gto »

I dont think anyone accused custer of being a nice guy...half crazy yes :)
christof139

Post by christof139 »

Custer turned into a real ego-maniac, like others I have known and met, and that is why he lost at Little Big Horn; that is he did not heed the advice of his Crow Scouts nor his Officers, and he also left his 2-Gatling Guns behind.

Chris
'What is more amazing, is that amongst all those approaching enemies there is not one named Gisgo.' Hannibal Barcid (or Barca) to Gisgo, a Greek staff officer, Cannae.
That's the CSS North Carolina BB-55
Boris Badanov, looking for Natasha Goodenov
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Here's the Custer bio, which is also quite good. I had to rework the part about Gettysburg, so please make sure it's accurate. The bio as it stands is too long (mainly since I added stuff), but before I worry about shortening it I need to clear up some of the matters in boldface.

Brig. Gen. George Armstrong Custer (b. 1839, d. 1876). Custer was born in New Rumley, Ohio, and spent much of his boyhood living in Monroe, Michigan. (I chopped the bit about the statue in his home town to save space) Before entering West Point, he taught school in Ohio. (A local legend suggests that Custer obtained his appointment to the Academy due to a prominent resident, who wished to keep Custer away from his daughter.) Custer graduated last in his class, just after the start of the Civil War. (Hmm. I wonder if he deliberately got poor grades so as to avoid the draft...) His tenure at the academy was a rocky one and he came close to expulsion each of his four years due to excessive demerits, many from pulling pranks on fellow cadets. But he had begun a path to a distinguished war record, one that has been overshadowed in history by his role and fate in the Indian Wars. Custer was commissioned a 2nd lieutenant in the U.S. Cavalry and immediately joined his regiment for the Battle of First Bull Run, where he was ordered to carry messages for Gen. Irvin McDowell. After the battle he was reassigned to the 5th U.S. Cavalry, with which he served through the early days of the Peninsula Campaign in 1862. My encyclopedia says that after Bull Run he served on the staff of Gen. Kearny, and at the beginning of the Peninsula Campaign was temporarily with the Topographical Engineers – how can we reconcile this info with what you have about the 5th Cavalry? During the pursuit of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston’s Army of Northern Virginia up the Yorktown Peninsula, Custer persuaded a colonel to allow him to lead an attack with four companies of Michigan infantry near New Bridge. The attack was successful, capturing fifty Confederates. Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan, in command of the Army of the Potomac, termed it a "very gallant affair," congratulated Custer personally, and brought him onto his staff as an aide-de-camp with the temporary rank of captain. In this role, Custer began his lifelong pursuit of publicity. Three days prior to the Battle of Gettysburg, on June 28, 1863, Gen. George Meade promoted Custer to brevet brigadier general of the volunteers. Despite having no direct command experience, he became one of the youngest generals in the Union Army at age twenty-three. Custer lost no time in implanting his aggressive character on his brigade, the Michigan Cavalry Brigade. In what may have been Custer's finest hour, on the third day of the battle he convinced Gen. David M. Gregg, whose division was directly in the path of Gen. J.E.B. Stuart’s cavalry, to redeploy southward while Custer stayed to face Stuart. Hours of charges and hand-to-hand combat ensued, before Custer finally led a mounted charge of the 1st Michigan Cavalry Regiment and broke the back of the Confederate assault – foiling Gen. Robert E. Lee's plan to have Stuart attack the Union army at its rear in conjunction with Pickett’s Charge. (The following May, Custer would lead a charge that would result in Stuart’s death.) Custer's style of battle sometimes bordered on reckless or foolhardy. He often impulsively gathered up whatever cavalrymen he could find in his vicinity and led them personally in bold assaults directly into enemy positions. One of his greatest attributes during the Civil War was luck, and he needed it to survive some of these charges: on one occasion, against the brigade of Gen. Wade Hampton, Custer fell from his wounded horse directly before the enemy and became the target of numerous enemy rifles, but was rescued by the bugler, who galloped up, shot Custer's nearest assailant, and allowed Custer to mount behind him for a dash to safety. In May 1864, Custer was promoted to divisional commander after the Battle of the Wilderness. (My encyclopedia says he was given command of the 3rd Cavalry Division after 3rd Winchester on Sept. 19, but says nothing about divisional command back in May. Might he have commanded another division earlier?) Serving under Gen. Philip H. Sheridan in the final year of the war, Custer distinguished himself on numerous battlefields, earning promotion to major general during the Valley Campaign (grimly remembered as the “Burning of the Valley” by inhabitants of the Shenandoah) and a lasting reputation as a brilliant cavalryman for his performance during the Appommattox Campaign. In April 1865, the Confederate lines were finally broken and Lee began his retreat to Appomattox Court House, pursued mercilessly by the Union cavalry. Custer’s division blocked Lee's retreat on its final day and received the first flag of truce from the Confederate force. Custer was present at the surrender of Lee’s army, and the table upon which the surrender was signed was presented to him as a gift for his gallantry. After the war, Custer was offered command of the 10th Cavalry (the Buffalo Soldiers) as a colonel, but instead chose the 7th U.S. Cavalry as a lieutenant colonel. It was while commanding this regiment that he gained immortality through his stunning defeat fighting Sioux and Cheyenne in the Little Bighorn Valley on June 25, 1876. Custer is buried in the West Point Cemetery. (Bio by Scott Jennings)
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
chris0827

Post by chris0827 »

Custer's promotion on June 28th 1863 was not a brevet promotion. Meade's name was put on the order only because he was the army commander. It's likely that Meade had no knowledge of the promotion as he assumed command of the AoP on the same day. Pleasonton got him the promption. Custer's promotion to Major general of Volunteers was April 15th, 1865.

These are the orders regarding Custer, Farnsworth and Merrit on June 28th. Farnsworth and Merrit were also promoted to Brigadier Generals of Volunteers.
http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/pageviewer?frames=1&cite=http%3A%2F%2Fcdl.library.cornell.edu%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmoa%2Fsgml%2Fmoa-idx%3Fnotisid%3DANU4519-0045&coll=moa&view=50&root=%2Fmoa%2Fwaro%2Fwaro0045%2F&tif=01142.TIF&pagenum=373
http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/pageviewer?frames=1&cite=http%3A%2F%2Fcdl.library.cornell.edu%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmoa%2Fsgml%2Fmoa-idx%3Fnotisid%3DANU4519-0045&coll=moa&view=50&root=%2Fmoa%2Fwaro%2Fwaro0045%2F&tif=00375.TIF&pagenum=376

christof139

Post by christof139 »

Custer graduated last in his class, just after the start of the Civil War. (Hmm. I wonder if he deliberately got poor grades so as to avoid the draft...)

It's just the opposite, that is one would get good grades to avoid the Draft, not bad grades as getting bad grades would have made one eligible for the Draft and in the 1960's and 1970's a 'B average' was required for exemption. However, one way or the other Custer wasn't a legitimate CO (Consceitous Objector), wasn't in favor of Secession, and wasn't a coward so if the USA Draft had existed in 1861 he wouldn't have avoided it and he was in the Army in 1861 already I do believe.

Perhaps the USA should never have stopped the Draft as many other nations still have mandatory military service for those qualified, including Mexico, Poland, Russia, China, Germany I thinks still, etc.

Chris
'What is more amazing, is that amongst all those approaching enemies there is not one named Gisgo.' Hannibal Barcid (or Barca) to Gisgo, a Greek staff officer, Cannae.
christof139

Post by christof139 »

(My encyclopedia says he was given command of the 3rd Cavalry Division after 3rd Winchester on Sept. 19, but says nothing about divisional command back in May. Might he have commanded another division earlier?) Serving under Gen. Philip H. Sheridan in the final year of the war, Custer distinguished himself on numerous battlefields, earning promotion to major general during the Valley Campaign (grimly remembered as the “Burning of the Valley” by inhabitants of the Shenandoah) and a lasting reputation as a brilliant cavalryman for his performance during the Appommattox Campaign.

Seems Custer only commanded the one Division, and previous to that he commanded his Wolverine Brigade.

Chris
christof139

Post by christof139 »

My encyclopedia says that after Bull Run he served on the staff of Gen. Kearny, and at the beginning of the Peninsula Campaign was temporarily with the Topographical Engineers – how can we reconcile this info with what you have about the 5th Cavalry?

He was assigned to the 5th Cavalry as a 2nd Lt. at the start of the war, howver, that doesn't mean he served with the 5th Cavalry as Regular and Volunteer Officers and Enlisted personnel were frequently detached from their units on a temporary or even semi-permanent basis and attached to other units and/or duties, and this occurs to the present time.

IOTW, he was assigned to the 5th Cavalry but was detached for other duties and attached to other units and/or positions.

Chris
General Quarters

Post by General Quarters »

I think Custer's ratings, which put him roughly in the class with Meade, Reynolds, and Hancock, are too high. His high ratings are based on cavalry command, which is not comparable to commanding large bodies of troops. In the game, these very high ratings make him a prime candidate for army command. That does not seem realistic.

In a lot of the old ACW board games, this problem was handled by giving each general a rating for size of force he could command (without a loss to his ratings). This was usually the "command" rating. McClellan always had low initiative, but the top command rating. A guy like Custer would have had high ratings in other categories but low ability to command large bodies of troops, though some games allowed it if you knocked a point or two from his other numbers. I don't know if "command," which has a tactical function in detailed battle, works or could work that way in this game.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: christof139
Custer graduated last in his class, just after the start of the Civil War. (Hmm. I wonder if he deliberately got poor grades so as to avoid the draft...)

It's just the opposite, that is one would get good grades to avoid the Draft, not bad grades as getting bad grades would have made one eligible for the Draft and in the 1960's and 1970's a 'B average' was required for exemption. However, one way or the other Custer wasn't a legitimate CO (Consceitous Objector), wasn't in favor of Secession, and wasn't a coward so if the USA Draft had existed in 1861 he wouldn't have avoided it and he was in the Army in 1861 already I do believe.

Perhaps the USA should never have stopped the Draft as many other nations still have mandatory military service for those qualified, including Mexico, Poland, Russia, China, Germany I thinks still, etc.

Chris

Yeah, you're right, I mixed things up: I was thinking about the college women in the Vietnam days who would deliberately fail so that the men wouldn't be at the bottom of the class and get drafted. I guess my joke fails completely, then.
christof139

Post by christof139 »

Yeah, you're right, I mixed things up: I was thinking about the college women in the Vietnam days who would deliberately fail so that the men wouldn't be at the bottom of the class and get drafted. I guess my joke fails completely, then.

I wouldn't know about that and have not any respect for those that did that.

Chris
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

It did happen. I have no idea how widespread it was, having been just four when the war ended.
christof139

Post by christof139 »

It did happen. I have no idea how widespread it was, having been just four when the war ended.

Probably not that widespread as most females are not that stupid, although some are. Vanity may be another issue. [X(]

Chris
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: chris0827

Custer's promotion on June 28th 1863 was not a brevet promotion. Meade's name was put on the order only because he was the army commander. It's likely that Meade had no knowledge of the promotion as he assumed command of the AoP on the same day. Pleasonton got him the promption. Custer's promotion to Major general of Volunteers was April 15th, 1865.

These are the orders regarding Custer, Farnsworth and Merrit on June 28th. Farnsworth and Merrit were also promoted to Brigadier Generals of Volunteers.
http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/pageviewer?frames=1&cite=http%3A%2F%2Fcdl.library.cornell.edu%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmoa%2Fsgml%2Fmoa-idx%3Fnotisid%3DANU4519-0045&coll=moa&view=50&root=%2Fmoa%2Fwaro%2Fwaro0045%2F&tif=01142.TIF&pagenum=373
http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/pageviewer?frames=1&cite=http%3A%2F%2Fcdl.library.cornell.edu%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmoa%2Fsgml%2Fmoa-idx%3Fnotisid%3DANU4519-0045&coll=moa&view=50&root=%2Fmoa%2Fwaro%2Fwaro0045%2F&tif=00375.TIF&pagenum=376

Chris,
Thanks, excellent info. I've changed the bio accordingly.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: christof139
My encyclopedia says that after Bull Run he served on the staff of Gen. Kearny, and at the beginning of the Peninsula Campaign was temporarily with the Topographical Engineers – how can we reconcile this info with what you have about the 5th Cavalry?

He was assigned to the 5th Cavalry as a 2nd Lt. at the start of the war, howver, that doesn't mean he served with the 5th Cavalry as Regular and Volunteer Officers and Enlisted personnel were frequently detached from their units on a temporary or even semi-permanent basis and attached to other units and/or duties, and this occurs to the present time.

IOTW, he was assigned to the 5th Cavalry but was detached for other duties and attached to other units and/or positions.

Chris

Thanks. That's good enough for me!

Return to “Generals' Biographies Project”