CVL Princeton Damage

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

MineSweeper

CVL Princeton Damage

Post by MineSweeper »

One more report for CVL 23 USS Princeton.....one Japanese 250kg bomb hit created all kinds of issues for this ship @ 400-100lb GP bombs and 65 fragmentation clusters detonated.....what I did not know was that CLAA Reno pumped a torpedo into her and detonated the forward magazine after she was abandoned and sealed her fate...

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4885/c ... tonye8.jpg

huggarn

RE: CVL Princeton Damage

Post by huggarn »

sw33t keep 'em coming!
tsimmonds

Post by tsimmonds »

Here's a link to a thread with some relevant photos.
Fear the kitten!
Brady

Post by Brady »

Depends on what reprots you read, Japanese sources state that it was a 500KG bomb that hit the Prinction.
[center]Image[/center]

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
MineSweeper

Post by MineSweeper »

I obtained the damage report from this source.....[;)]
To me, this is a very solid report.....I would not in this case believe anything else but the US reports on this sinking.....
What is strange is that it was a 250kg GP bomb.....
http://www.dcfp.navy.mil/cgi-bin/WarSummary.cgi

These types of reports really start the head scratching.....really...no way....I guess that is true....got to look that up....he is wrong....he is right....damn, never knew that....I am wrong........[:D]

MineSweeper

Post by MineSweeper »

The thing is...(pardon my NC accent)....that the Princeton could have been saved... all of the reports stated that the fires were out....but the tactical situation made it impossible for her to be saved, so she was torpdoed by the CLAA Reno....just one more well designed ship....

Tiornu

Post by Tiornu »

I don't know what Japanese sources say regarding the bomb that hit Princeton, but the Japanese certainly know what they were using better than the Americans would. Similarly, when the NC damage report says the torpedo that hit her had a 660-lb warhead, that's a guess, and a wrong one. When Marblehead was said to have been hit by a 220-lb bomb, that report was wrong too.
Primary sources must be read critically as well.
MineSweeper

Post by MineSweeper »

I guess so..... but I am a firm believer in the american docs....the japanese were wrong in alot of info....hard to pinpoint all of the facts....but NTL good conversation on this topic....

And this is the first time that I have heard that a 500kg Japanese bomb hit a US Ship.....

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

If you consider the platform delivering the weapon, if that's possible, then that information could help in determining the type of ordinance used.  For example some planes were designed in such a way that they couldn't carry bombs over a certain size.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Brady

Post by Brady »

The Plane that atacked the USS Prinction was a Yokosuka D4Y "Judy", which was designed to carry a 500kg weapon type in her bomb bay.

American Documents from the perioud are in my experance always suspect, this is why most good books always list cross referances to substanciate the claims made from a single source. While researching a referance for the Use of 60 KG weapons types from Val's at Pearl Harbor, I found a US Document that claimed that thier was evidance that existed that they had, when in fact they had not, this confirmed by Japanese documents. The way this came to me was from a cutodian of records at the Pearl Harbor Museum, he told me that the info in many US documents, like the documents of all countrys at the time was equily suspect given the nature of the time and the haste with which many of these documents were created.
[center]Image[/center]

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

Brady.....tsk tsk.

you KNOW that any US sourced document MUST be 100% correct at all times. [;)]

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”