Book Opinion

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Skyros

Book Opinion

Post by Skyros »

I just picked up Forgotten Armies The Fall of British Asia, 1941-1945. Is this worth bumping to the top of my reading list?
ctangus

RE: Book Opinion

Post by ctangus »

Well, it would depend on what else is on your reading list. It certainly beats a Harlequin romance but not the next Tom Clancy whenever it comes out. [;)]

It wasn't what I expected - I was expecting a book that was largely about the military campaigns in Burma. I subsequently read The Burma Road by Donovan Webster which is a better read for that.

Forgotten Armies touches on the military campaigns a bit but is much more about the social & political factors in the CBI theater. I was initially disappointed since it wasn't what I was expecting, but once I got over that I found it fascinating. The politics and different factions of the area were far more complex than I ever suspected or knew about. It's certainly a worthwhile read IMO.
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

I read The Burma Road last year and liked it alot. I was hoping for something more on the campaigns but I am also interested in the political and social factors as well. I tend to read about 4 or 5 books at the same time. I keep one in the car for when I keep 1 in the car for when I take the kids to dance and soccer. Usually two or three by the bed so if I get bored or fined the writining tiresome I can trade off to another author.

Drives my wife nuts that I can put a book down and pick it up a couple of weeks later and not lose my pace.
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Skyros

I just picked up Forgotten Armies The Fall of British Asia, 1941-1945. Is this worth bumping to the top of my reading list?

Yep! Every perspective you can get makes you that much more fluent. Never take any 'definitive account" as such.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

It's worth it if you have an interest in the dynamics of colonialism, the various factions/interests and how it all evolved/changed/became extinct after the Japanese came. If your looking for a "war story", you will be disapointed. This book focuses on the land, peoples and politics behind the scenes from just before the war to it's conclusion. Actual battles and such are only summarized. The sections on India are very good though and while it may not exactly clear up one's confusion on how that country should be represented vis-a-vis a "wargame", it at least will give you an appreciation of why the Allies couldn't simply just use India as a springboard right away.

Its a long read....but it can be worth it. If your looking for a book that focues on the military aspects, I'd recommend Louis Allen's "Burma...the longest war"

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”