OT Have You Ever "Googled" Your Own Name?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

KG Erwin

OT Have You Ever "Googled" Your Own Name?

Post by KG Erwin »

Just out of curiousity, I tried this, and found a reference to a book review I did for Amazon.com under my real name. I also tried my forum name, and yeah, I found a reference to it from another forum I belong to.

I have heard that certain employers will do this for applicants, so I'm thankful that nothing incriminating showed up.

It's flattering, in a way, but also kinda creepy.
Brigz

RE: OT Have You Ever "Googled" Your Own Name?

Post by Brigz »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Just out of curiousity, I tried this, and found a reference to a book review I did for Amazon.com under my real name. I also tried my forum name, and yeah, I found a reference to it from another forum I belong to.

I have heard that certain employers will do this for applicants, so I'm thankful that nothing incriminating showed up.
Except maybe associating yourself with a Nazi SS officer? [:D]
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
sven

Post by sven »

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

indeed....
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Hmm--good point.
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

I do that from time to time - there's even a term for that, it's called "egosurfing" [:'(]
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Well, it COULD have unintended consequences -- like seeing your name on an "America's Most Wanted" list, for overdue library books. " Put your hands up and step away from the books!" [:'(]
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: sven

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

indeed....

OK, the Peiper avatar just won't do. I went back to "Chesty" Puller. Thanks for the advice, guys. I must've had a "Teutonic moment". [8|]
EUBanana

Post by EUBanana »

Google for my name and the first hit is about a convicted killer with my name.

[X(]
AndyfromVA1

Post by AndyfromVA1 »

My name gives 310,000 hits - I have the same name as a semi-famous Hollywood producer. He's younger than I, thinner, richer and has more hair.
Zap

Post by Zap »

I did a search on yahoo for my name. My Matrix member information is available for all eyes to see. That is, age, name, email address, where I live. The member profile page shows up! So I went in and took out some of the information found in my membership file.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

I never thought about all this. I am going to check mine out.[X(]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

This has nothing to do with Google, but the thread reminds me of a great anecdote, from "The Boys of Summer" (I think): while serving off in the Pacific in WWII, Brooklyn Dodgers pitcher Kirby Higbe had an affair with a nurse or some such sort, and so one day when he was back home his wife opened a love letter addressed to him from the other woman, and his response was, "Must be some other Kirby Higbe."
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Riun T

Post by Riun T »

Well I tried my name and got 306,000 hits but absolutely nothing that I personally have been involved with or contacted,?and no identity information at all. The topics ranged from marathons to abstract websites for "do it yourself" backyard installed windmill generator kits?
I'm comfortable that I'm that anonymous,considering some of the things I've actually done!!?[:'(] 
Zap

Post by Zap »

If you have your full name in membership profile for Matrix then it will show up on a search. So if you do I suggest you eliminate your last name
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: Zap

If you have your full name in membership profile for Matrix then it will show up on a search. So if you do I suggest you eliminate your last name

You people miss the whole point of EGOsurfing [:D]
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

I tried it..the first entry was some WebNews site with the headline:

"Retarded California Man Googles Own Name". After listing my home address, IP number, Bank of America account number and password, Social Security Number and my mother's maiden name, there was a picture of me, slack-jawed staring right into my own webcam. I'll never do that again. Everything was dead on except an alleged membership in the Man Boy Love Association. The bastards.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

"Retarded California Man Googles Own Name". After listing my home address, IP number, Bank of America account number and password, Social Security Number and my mother's maiden name, there was a picture of me, slack-jawed staring right into my own webcam. I'll never do that again. Everything was dead on except an alleged membership in the Man Boy Love Association. The bastards.

You decided to post a response, so let those without sin cast the first stone LOL...
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

You decided to post a response, so let those without sin cast the first stone LOL...

Its a joke, guy. Relax
old man of the sea

Post by old man of the sea »

googling my name brings up some has been baseball player which I had the privilage of watching hit the first home run in Denver.

Aslo some wrestler. "Showtime Eric Young" he he he

Then a bunch of stuff about me.

E
"Point me to a 'civilised' part of the General Forum and I'll steer way clear of it." - Soddball

Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I never have been able to make out the numbers.
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Wow, around 4.5 million hits for my name!!  [X(]

It seems there is some hot shot high school football recruit being pursued by all of the Big 11 schools with the same name as me.  That's probably 4, 495,000 of the hits right there.  Then there's a photographer, an author, a home builder, .... that's just the first 10.  [:D]  Even if my info's in there somewhere, I feel rather anonymous. 
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Return to “General Discussion”