Bombing and stack order

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

niceguy2005

Bombing and stack order

Post by niceguy2005 »

I have a situation where I am sending bombers on ground attack and they keep attacking the HQ unit in the hex instead of the Div and Tank RGT I know to be there. Is there anyway I can change this? At this rate I will have to bomb the HQ into non-existence (a possiblitity) to even touch the combat troops.
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
rtrapasso

RE: Bombing and stack order

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

I have a situation where I am sending bombers on ground attack and they keep attacking the HQ unit in the hex instead of the Div and Tank RGT I know to be there. Is there anyway I can change this? At this rate I will have to bomb the HQ into non-existence (a possiblitity) to even touch the combat troops.

i think "it is written that" the unit with the lowest ID# gets hit... don't think there is anything much you can do to change this as the attacker...
Dino

Post by Dino »

i think "it is written that" the unit with the lowest ID# gets hit... don't think there is anything much you can do to change this as the attacker...

This is true for bombardments (arty), but air bombing should go after the "highest value target". And usually they do.

However, I've noticed recently that bombers will go after the unit that arrived at the battle as reinforcement...Not sure if this is a feature or a bug.

In other words, if that HQ came to the scene later, it will for some reason became a target for all future bombing attacks.
niceguy2005

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: Dino

This is true for bombardments (arty), but air bombing should go after the "highest value target". And usually they do.

However, I've noticed recently that bombers will go after the unit that arrived at the battle as reinforcement...Not sure if this is a feature or a bug.

In other words, if that HQ came to the scene later, it will for some reason became a target for all future bombing attacks.
SOunds like a stacking problem then to me. There are no friendlys in the hex, so I don't know that I would characterize them as reinforcements.
Dino

Post by Dino »

SOunds like a stacking problem then to me. There are no friendlys in the hex, so I don't know that I would characterize them as reinforcements.

No, what I was trying to explain is not a stacking problem. The fact that the HQ in question is top of the stack could be (and probably is) just a coincidence. Let me try with an example:

I have 4 corpses defending a base in China...they are being bombed on regular basis and the bombing runs are being spread out more or less evenly. Once enemy bombers do a thorough job with one corps they move on to the next one...All good and fine so far.

Now, I move in an additional corps to "reinforce" the defenders...Suddenly, all enemy bombers decide that they should bomb this AND ONLY THIS unit...and it goes on and on...The unit in question is in the middle of the stack, so it's not a stack issue.

I have the same situation (only reversed) in Malaya where I'm the attacker.
Mike Wood

Post by Mike Wood »

Hello...

No way to change. Bombing routine does not bomb by stack order. Selects specific target by considering factors such as unit sizes, entrenchment, elements damaged, friendly units/types in hex and so forth.

Bye...

Michael Wood
ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

Knavey

Post by Knavey »

Thanks for the clarification Mike.  Love it when you guys pop in and give us the scoop.
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
niceguy2005

Post by niceguy2005 »

Yes, thanks Mike for the clarrification much appreciated.

So, the HQ might be targeted because it is fresher, fewer disabled elements and so forth. Good to know.
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

HQ might be the biggest target in the hex.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

" I have 4 corpses defending a base in China.."

Yeah, it's really tough to get your troops to attack when the enemy is using undead soldiers. Morale goes right down the drain...
fair winds,
Brad
viberpol

Post by viberpol »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Yeah, it's really tough to get your troops to attack when the enemy is using undead soldiers. Morale goes right down the drain...

[:D][:D][:D][:D]
Przy lackim orle, przy koniu Kiejstuta Archanioł Rusi na proporcach błysł
Charles2222

Post by Charles2222 »

Mike didn't touch on this, but then why should he when it's something in fairy-bo land, but I wonder if switching targets for one turn might make them return to their senses for that hex? Maybe the same hex, but just a different target.
TheTomDude

Post by TheTomDude »

ORIGINAL: viberpol

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
huggarn

Post by huggarn »

I dont see how this work, I'm bombing the crap out of 25th Indian divisiom and there are a newly arrived Division I think this is one other Indian division. And my bombers still bombs the 25th indian which by this time should be less than 50% operational. 
Sonny II

Post by Sonny II »

ORIGINAL: huggarn

I dont see how this work, I'm bombing the crap out of 25th Indian divisiom and there are a newly arrived Division I think this is one other Indian division. And my bombers still bombs the 25th indian which by this time should be less than 50% operational.

At least they are still bombing. After a while my bombers decide they want to rest a while - even when fatigue is only in the 8-10 range.
niceguy2005

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: huggarn

How do you know that they are less than 50% operational?
niceguy2005

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

Mike didn't touch on this, but then why should he when it's something in fairy-bo land, but I wonder if switching targets for one turn might make them return to their senses for that hex? Maybe the same hex, but just a different target.
I won't say that it won't help or change things, but I thought Mike was fairly clear that it has a lot to do with the condition of the units involved. I suspect that the HQ, which arrived at the front recently, is probably still at a high % of operation. Changing hexes won't change that fact. If the air units are still locked in on the HQ after a week. I will change targets for a day and report back to this thread what happened.
Dino

Post by Dino »

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

Nope, it won't help...Bombing from different bases won't help either...Neither will bombing with different air groups.

It's necrophilia, i telz ya.
Dino

Post by Dino »

ORIGINAL: TheTomDude

ORIGINAL: viberpol

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Is there a prize? [:D]
niceguy2005

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: Dino

It's necrophilia, i telz ya.
[&:]

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”