Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

FAdmiral

Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !!

Post by FAdmiral »

It's due to come out this month. Exact date varies from the 13th to the 21st.
Now if I could just tie it into WITP so I could take over the sub attacks and do
them myself. My torpedo hits would most likely triple. 6 torps at a slow
moving cargo ship and all miss, not possible unless the captain is an AI
nitwit....

JIM
ravinhood

RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !!

Post by ravinhood »

This one probably won't have starfarce on it either so we can all get it. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

FAdmiral

Post by FAdmiral »

After StarForce killed about a few million CD/DVD drives, I don't know of
anyone that it buy it with SF onboard including ME !!

JIM
SurrenderMonkey

Post by SurrenderMonkey »

ORIGINAL: FAdmiral
Now if I could just tie it into WITP so I could take over the sub attacks and do
nitwit....
JIM

Not true. In an interesting story from the book "Torpedo Junction" about the 1942 campaign off the east coast fo the USA, a u-boat literally fired its full load of torps at a Swedish/Norwegian cargo ship - and missed with every shot. In fact, halfway through the series of attacks, the crew abandoned it and left it drifting, and the u-boat still couldn't score a hit. Moreover, after drifting overnight in lifeboats, the crew went back aboard and piloted the ship safely to New York. They couldn't believe their good luck.
Wise Men Still Seek Him
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

I believe UbiSoft has stated, around the Heroes of Might and Magic release, that they would no longer be using StarForce (who does anymore). However, I think they replaced it with another slightly annoying copy protection program. Might check up on that.

I liked Silent Hunter III, but gonna wait a bit. I'm hoping Carriers at War releases and I can control those subs with my Carriers.

Son of Montfort
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

OK, SH4[:D] drool
"Tanks forward"
UndercoverNotChickenSalad

Post by UndercoverNotChickenSalad »

no link [8|]
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Let me tell you about UBISoft and their copy protection....

They did drop Starforce....however, I bought a game for my daughter at Christmas called Horsez, and I cannot get it to run on my computer. After two months of being in touch with their tech support, uninstalling, reinstalling, creating new accounts, copying the content of the discs to hard drive and installing from their, reg cleaning blah, blah, blah, she STILL have not played it.

In the end, their last suggestion was "We notice you have anti-virus, firewall and Deamon Tools running, can you disable these? If the game still will not work, can you uninstall these?"

I was like "No", so they start saying the problem I am having is with the SPM (copy protection error) and these programs may be interfering with it!!!

So, I am battling at the moment to get a refund

I'm not satying all their games are suffering from this, but with my latest purchase with them, their copy protection system was, in some way, conflicting with hardware/software on my computer and I have been unable to run the game since I bought it 2 months ago.
Alba gu' brath
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

All I know is X3:The Reunion works great now and with NO CD required. :) Been trying to get them to do this with GANGLAND, make it work with NO CD as well since I found that game quite fun, but, will not allow starfarce on my system again.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Terl

Post by Terl »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Let me tell you about UBISoft and their copy protection....

They did drop Starforce....however, I bought a game for my daughter at Christmas called Horsez, and I cannot get it to run on my computer. After two months of being in touch with their tech support, uninstalling, reinstalling, creating new accounts, copying the content of the discs to hard drive and installing from their, reg cleaning blah, blah, blah, she STILL have not played it.

In the end, their last suggestion was "We notice you have anti-virus, firewall and Deamon Tools running, can you disable these? If the game still will not work, can you uninstall these?"

I was like "No", so they start saying the problem I am having is with the SPM (copy protection error) and these programs may be interfering with it!!!

So, I am battling at the moment to get a refund

I'm not satying all their games are suffering from this, but with my latest purchase with them, their copy protection system was, in some way, conflicting with hardware/software on my computer and I have been unable to run the game since I bought it 2 months ago.

There are some security systems that will not allow the install if you have Daemon tools or Alcohol 120 installed. They look for the programs that can create virtual drives. Have you tried just uninstalling Daemon tools and see if that goes? I first encountered this when I tried a Derek Smart game (like anyone wants to pirate those) but have noticed it on other protection schemes too.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I refuse to remove a legitimate piece of software just so a game which I purchased with my money can run on my system...especially when the problem is tied to copy protection. I will not entertain them.

If they want to put copy protection on their games, then that's fine...I am 100% for it...so long as it works with my system without me having to jump through hoops. I will not do it.

I am absolutely fed up with copy protection being the burden of the innocent.
Alba gu' brath
FAdmiral

Post by FAdmiral »

ORIGINAL: SurrenderMonkey
ORIGINAL: FAdmiral
nitwit....
JIM

Not true. In an interesting story from the book "Torpedo Junction" about the 1942 campaign off the east coast fo the USA, a u-boat literally fired its full load of torps at a Swedish/Norwegian cargo ship - and missed with every shot. In fact, halfway through the series of attacks, the crew abandoned it and left it drifting, and the u-boat still couldn't score a hit. Moreover, after drifting overnight in lifeboats, the crew went back aboard and piloted the ship safely to New York. They couldn't believe their good luck.

The only thing wrong here is that you are trying to compare Germans in a U-Boat
to Americans in a Gato fleet submarine. Thats like comparing the sun to the moon.
The Mk. 14 had its early war troubles but the American subs STILL hit the enemy
ships more than they missed....

JIM
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

This is why the people of Stardock will always be my heroes (that and GalCiv II is a masterpiece of 4X gameplay). It was their initiative that really brought to light the evils of Stardock (that and the fact a Stardock moderator posted a link to a warez site you could pirate Stardock's GalCiv II, just because Stardock criticized overbearing copy protection).

The Matrix people will always be my heroes because they cater to the complaining and highly scrutinizing niche market of wargamers. [:D]

Son of Montfort

FAdmiral

Post by FAdmiral »

I just bought SH4 and will get into playing it shortly. There is already
a patch 1.1 out and the modding community has started their great
work on this game. I have DLed my first mod and it is sorely needed.

JIM
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Just to make the point, this from the back of the SH4 box;
NOTICE: This game includes technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some DVD-RW and virtual drives

OK, it isn't Starfarce and I accept that sentence is probably just a backside covering exercise, but I consider it unacceptable. Sure, I could uninstall Daemon tools if I had to (no problem with that BTW) but what am I supposed to if there is a conflict with my DVD-RW? How do I know if mine is one the 'some'? What am I supposed to do if it is; uninstall SH4 every time I want to burn a disk, or replace the DVD-RW? Not good enough.

Runs acceptably on my less than state of the art system on 'low', but you don't actually lose that much in the way of eye candy IMHO, so I'm not sweating it. The odd pause (nothing too bad) suggests that second gig of RAM would be a good idea. Early days, but whether SH4 adds enough to make it worth playing ahead of a modded SH3 is an open question. A wee bit buggy, too, although the suspiciously fast-to-arrive patch seems to correct the worst of them.

Terminus

Post by Terminus »

At the moment, SHIV is basically unplayable (on my system), which is just below the median regarding system requirements. Ubi is living down to their reputation as a bunch of corporate suits who don't give a rat's rectum about their customers and are perfectly willing to release a product that they KNOW is faulty.

Ubi is the Micro$oft of the gaming world, with all the crap that goes with it...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

Elaborate Terminus, if you will. What is causing the lack of playablity? I have a middling system as well, and I was interested in looking into SH4. What problems are you experiencing?

Son of Montfort

Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

Ubi is the Micro$oft of the gaming world, with all the crap that goes with it...

heheh nah thats EA [:D]

My Tin box containing SH4 arrived yesterday, not had time to install it yet and may not even bother until Autumn.  Summer is a busy time for me in my role as 'Dads taxi' [8|]

Cheers

Jev
I am really quite mad yoo know!
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

Elaborate Terminus, if you will. What is causing the lack of playablity? I have a middling system as well, and I was interested in looking into SH4. What problems are you experiencing?

Son of Montfort

Two main problems:

- Periodic CTD's due to low virtual memory. It says 1Gb minimum memory and 2Gb recommended memory, but that should definitely be 2Gb minimum.

- An "amusing" bug that causes the crew to fire torpedoes when there are no targets. It's coupled to time compression, as far as I can tell.

And these things are occurring even though I've already installed the first patch, which was downloadable BEFORE the game hit stores.

I'd promised myself I'd never buy another Ubi game after the StarFarce... well, farce, really, but I picked this up, because the sys specs sounded reasonable. They're only loosely connected to reality...
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

heheh nah thats EA [:D]

My Tin box containing SH4 arrived yesterday, not had time to install it yet and may not even bother until Autumn. Summer is a busy time for me in my role as 'Dads taxi' [8|]

Cheers

Jev

Maybe it's because UbiSoft's a French company... They're out to get everyone else...

Return to “General Discussion”