ACOW Editor: File Not Found Errors

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

mikmykWS

ACOW Editor: File Not Found Errors

Post by mikmykWS »

Hi All,

Trying to load the Acow file via the editor and getting a bunch of file not found errors (usually pathed \Graphics\xxxxx). When it completes I get the same errors when clicking unit types (after clicking the units tabs etc).

Pretty sure I probably missed something simple but would appreciate a hand. Please do add to the FAQ though.
Dr. Foo

RE: ACOW Editor: File Not Found Errors

Post by Dr. Foo »

Do you have COW on your PC? If not you will need to create a notepad file COW.REG and add:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TalonSoft\The Operational Art of War, CW]
"game_path"="C:\\Matrix Games\\The Operational Art of War III"

Double click on it and BioEd should be able to locate the files.

If you have COW:

Did you create an Equipment Edit folder and place it in the TOAW III folder beforehand?

If not you will need to do that, either way you need a Equipment Edit folder in the TOAW III graphics folder in order to locate the proper files.

I hope this works!
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Hmm.. Still no dice.

I have Toaw III

I have placed all files (editor.exe, 2cow files) in C:\Matrix Games\The Operational Art of War III\EquipmentEditor.

Created the reg file, ran it and was given a message that the entry was written to the registry.

I ran acowedit.exe, clicked load file, pointed at the acow300.file in the dialog and then clicked open. It does its thing but as it goes through its list it gives me the file not found errors. There are probably 6-10 in all.

Does this have something to do with where I have this folder located? I have Toaw III so thought it should just be in the root Toaw directory and not another level down under graphics.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Hmm.. Still no dice.

I have Toaw III

I have placed all files (editor.exe, 2cow files) in C:\Matrix Games\The Operational Art of War III\EquipmentEditor.

Created the reg file, ran it and was given a message that the entry was written to the registry.

I ran acowedit.exe, clicked load file, pointed at the acow300.file in the dialog and then clicked open. It does its thing but as it goes through its list it gives me the file not found errors. There are probably 6-10 in all.

Does this have something to do with where I have this folder located? I have Toaw III so thought it should just be in the root Toaw directory and not another level down under graphics.

Ok you say you ran acow3000 do you have V104ACOW300.exe (if not you can find it at the same place you got the BioEd) I believe this is the one you need.

The Equiment Editor file needs to be located in the TOAW III foler in that folder you need to have :

ACOWEdit.exe

V104ACOW.exe

V104ACOW300.exe (this one is used for loading)

If you have all of this and you ran the COW.REG file it should work without errors.

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Sorry was abbreviating the file name V104ACOW300.exe  as its pretty long and was too lazy to go back and type it as it. Figured you'd know what I mean.[;)] My fault.

Still not working and as far as I can tell I've done everything you've said. Really don't have time or patience these days to mess around with this stuff too much.

Thank you for your time and effort on this one. Its really probably something I did, misunderstood or missed along the way. I'll work through it again when I've got some time-patience and repost if there is still a problem.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Check your spelling in REG.COW. It must look exactly like this:

"game_path"="C:\\Matrix Games\\The Operational Art of War III"

Note the double slashes. If this still doesn't work try:

"game_path"="C:\\Matrix Games\\The Operational Art of War III\\Graphics"

I know this is frustrating. But trust me, the equipment editor is worth it in the long run.

Best wishes,
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Szilard

Post by Szilard »

Same thing here. I couldn't get the .REG file as given to actually update the registry - doubleclicking gave me a message that data had been added to the registry, but REGEDIT showed nothing there. In the end, I just added the game_path key using REGEDIT and it seems to work fine.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Thanks Szilard,

Just went ahead and mod'd the registry and everything is golden.

Thanks shunwick for your time and effort.

Maybe at some point could somebody maybe design an installer for this app. Might mitigate posts like mine.[;)]
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Thanks Szilard,

Just went ahead and mod'd the registry and everything is golden.

Thanks shunwick for your time and effort.

Maybe at some point could somebody maybe design an installer for this app. Might mitigate posts like mine.[;)]
In case you missed it, the designer of ODD is working on a replacement.
If that falls though, I contacted the designer of the original program, and he may be coming back in June/July, he's swamped right now in work.
If that falls through, the source code is available, and if anyone has VB6 installed, changing the registry entry should be trivial.
If all those fall through, I'll to write a simple editor, it shouldn't take that long, although it will be a lot bigger installation package, since it will require .Net. I'll also have to do a more thorough job with languages, testing, etc. so it will be a while.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Yeah I did miss it but really don't have a whole lot of time to dig through posts etc these days and as you know this is a very busy forum. Thats great news though, thank you.

Return to “TOAW III Support”