OT Internet Advice Required

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Icedawg

OT Internet Advice Required

Post by Icedawg »

I was wondering if anyone can offer me some advice on what would be my best internet accessibility options. I am dependent on access from work and am really getting sick of having to wait until the next day to ask you guys questions about stuff. Hopefully someone out there will have some ideas for me.

First of all, I am computer-challenged to say the least. I have no clue how the internal workings of these beasts run. I have no interest in learning how they work. I simply wish to be able to use them (sort of the way I view my car - I know how to drive it, but couldn't even begin to tell you what an oil filter looks like).

Secondly, I live out in the sticks, so there is no cable service (Verizon, Road Runner, etc) available in my area. I will not do dial up EVER AGAIN (I think I'd go insane waiting for stuff to download.). I have spoken with some businesses that install satelite dishes, but friends who have had them have told me that they aren't much faster than dial up and are very prone to being "down" (no access available for hours at a time).

A few days ago, I was talking with some of my students who had heard about some new technology available. They said that you can purchase some device that you attach to your desktop tower which allows your computer to have the same internet access that cell phones have. This sounds like common sense to me. After all, if we can get things that aren't even intended to be a computer (cell phones) to access the internet this way, then it should be a very simple matter to get a computer to do so, right?

Has anyone heard of this technology? If so, what kind of cost am I looking at? How good is the internet performance? Can a computer idiot like myself install it, or will I need to have a technician come out to my house to take care of it?

Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks.
USSAmerica

RE: OT Internet Advice Required

Post by USSAmerica »

I don't know how fast that type of connection would be.  Sounds like you would be connecting your computer to a cell phone like device, then over the cell network.  I doubt that would be much faster than dialup....it is just another kind of phone...I could certainly be wrong! 

I empathize with you.  I could never go back to dialup!  Hope you find something that works for your location.
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

I thought cell phones were moderately quick. I've never owned one with Internet capability, but I've seen people using them and they seem much quicker than the dial up connection I used to have back in the early 90's.

Have dial up connections gotten appreciably faster since then? If so, maybe dial up wouldn't be QUITE so bad.
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

If so, maybe dial up wouldn't be QUITE so bad.

In my opinion, dial up is better than nothing. That said, thank the Lord I have not had to use dial up for six years. Sooner or later your area will get some type of high speed service.

Flipper
Flipper
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

Two caveats:

Firstly, I expect these things have different brand names wherever you are, but this might give you some idea.

Secondly here in Aust. small population and large distances (and until 15 years ago a monopoly telephone service provider who now have to compete and try to stop anyone else accessing their FO cable network)  have made the ISPs very interested in the development of a wireless network so that they really push it (and adsl as an alternative) instead of rolling out more cable. Its getting to the point where you can get the WAP modem etc for free if you sign a 2 year contract, like cell phones.

I take it you are not talking about WAP, but about a G3 phone... I got a new phone recently and my phone guy told me not to pay for the internet activation (not dial up, the button just establishes a digital connection to the net server)  if people sent me things with "big" attachments (like Word files or PDF files), not because of speed but because of problems reading them on a phone. Unless I "blue toothed it". I have no idea how that works but essentially you connect your laptop to your phone and ring up for long enough to collect your mail, surfing could be expensive. A wireless car kit for the phone also uses whatever "blue tooth" technology is. Being kind of distrusting of really new stuff (like windows) I got myself a nice old fashioned kit with the cradle and passed on the "blue tooth".

But if you're talking WAP you have to have LOS to a tower, if so its almost like having cable, go for it.
"I am Alfred"
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

If so, maybe dial up wouldn't be QUITE so bad.

In my opinion, dial up is better than nothing. That said, thank the Lord I have not had to use dial up for six years. Sooner or later your area will get some type of high speed service.

Flipper

Probably later.

A couple of weeks ago, one of my neighbors called Verizon to ask about the possibility of getting high-speed service in our neighborhood. Since Verizon's service ends about a half mile up the road, he asked about the possibility of actually personally covering the cost of extending the service to our houses (either by paying higher rates or directly paying for the materials and labor). The customer service representative wasn't too helpful, so he asked to speak to their supervisor. After going around in circles for awhile, the supervisor became quite irate and said "I'm sick of you country bumpkins hounding us about getting service. When are you people going to get the message. You'll get service when Hell freezes over." and hung up.

So, you can say I'm not going to hold my breath on this one.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

Don't forget, I'm a computer MORON here. What do WAP and LOS stand for? (And the follow up question that will probably be not far behind - what do they mean?)

Also, you mentioned using this technology with a laptop. I assume it will work with a regular desktop, correct?
kilowatts

Post by kilowatts »

I believe the technology you are thinking of is a cell-modem. A cell-modem acts like a regular modem, but uses a cellular telephone connection rather than a regular land line. Cell-modems are really intended for very mobile users who may frequently be away from any sort of connection. In general you would be lucky to acheive even dial-up speeds. See this article at about.com. A colleague of mine has one in his (company) laptop but uses it only occassionaly, though he can almost always get a connection no matter where he is.

Prices for cell-modem internet access are not good either, since you'll be eating up airtime minutes all the time you're online. If the company is picking up the tab then it's no big deal.

You say you are out in the sticks and away from cable access. Can you estimate how far you are from the nearest phone exchange? If you are within about 3.5 miles (5.5km) you might be able to get DSL access over your existing phone lines. You'd have to speak to your phone cmpany about that.

EDIT: Well, after reading about IceDawgs indirect encounter with the phone company I guess DSL is out of the question too.
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

WAP = Wireless Activated Protocol
LOS = Line of Sight

WAP is a digital connection to the net without a physical cable. Or to put it another way the first part of your link to the net is not a physical link, like a wireless mouse which transmits to a receiver which then has a physical connection to the back of your computer. Your WAP modem communicates with a transmission tower.

I have no idea how blue tooth works. But instead of connecting your computer to a WAP modem you connect it to a cell phone.
"I am Alfred"
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, that "phone exchange" you refer to must be beyond its 3.5 mile range. If you read my post above about the ever-so-polite phone company representative, you'll see why I can conclude that.
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

Icedawg,

My apologies, I did not know you lived down under.

My best recomendation is to go to your nearest town and fine a computer store and see if they can give any ideas. Second is to come up with a business reason why you need high speed access "at home" and let your company handle the details. This may sound silly, but it woked for me in the late 90s.

Flipper

Flipper
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

Icedawg,

My apologies, I did not know you lived down under

No thats me [8D]
"I am Alfred"
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

Icedawg,

My apologies, I did not know you lived down under.

My best recomendation is to go to your nearest town and fine a computer store and see if they can give any ideas. Second is to come up with a business reason why you need high speed access "at home" and let your company handle the details. This may sound silly, but it woked for me in the late 90s.

Flipper

No, I live in Upstate New York (USA). Did you assume I was from Australia from the tone of the telephone company representative? I thought Aussies were extremely polite. (At least that's been my limited experience from these forums and a the few I have known personally.)

Unfortunately, I'm a teacher. I doubt the school district will see this as an essential need. [:(]

It looks like I'm off to BEST BUY then for some advice.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

Thanks for the help thus far guys. Now I can go talk to a sales representative at Best Buy, not sound completely ignorant and thereby greatly lower my likelihood of getting ripped off.
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Icedawg,

My apologies, I did not know you lived down under

No thats me [8D]

This is what happens when I try to mutlitask.

MY BAD.

Flipper
Flipper
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

This is what happens when I try to mutlitask.

MY BAD.

Flipper

I went to a seminar about FLOW a couple of days ago and the guy said to that to achieve in the challenge/performance quadrant you must turn off your phone and your email, and NOT multitask so you could immerse yourself in the job at hand.

Therefore you are forgiven.
"I am Alfred"
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

One other possibility is Hughes Net... High speed internet by satellite (no extra phone line needed) - i don't know the details, but my brother has it (out in the boonies)* and is reasonably happy with it... you need a clear view of the southern sky.

i'll try to find more info if you are interested.

EDIT: *near Rochester, NY.
Terl

Post by Terl »

Icedawg, I live in upstate NY too...not out in the boonies though.  I read of your plight and googled real quick for satellite internet.  Check out this: http://www.wildblue.com/  I know nothing of it beyond what I saw on the site.  The price is roughly what Roadrunner is.  Others mentioned Hughes Internet; they come up on the search too.  Worth a looksee. Here is HughesNet link.

Oh, I am near Saratoga in case you were curious [:)]...
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

I've been on dial-up for years in a remote area and I will hedge that your choices are terribly limited: (1) dialup or (2) satellite.  The most cost effective is dial-up.  You do get a faster connection with satellite. It is less reliable, but it's not horrible.  

The scattered community here banded together to get the nearest wireless ISP to invest in our area.  After a long wait, we are loyal customers in speedy hog heaven.

Good luck.
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

If you can afford it...roughly $50 a month...you can get wireless through your cell phone provider usually...blazing speed anywhere you can use a cell phone.

Lee
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”