Tender port size requirement

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Andvari

RE: Tender port size requirement

Post by Andvari »

From Skripta:

Size of Port[/b]
- Influences - Chance of being Targeted by enemy Air Strike.
                 - Additional damage to Ships in Base, due to existing Ships' damage.
                 - Amount of damage in enemy Air Strikes & Naval Bombardments.
                 - Port Facilites' damage repair time & Port expand time.
                 - Ship's Repair Time.
                 - Loading / Unloading Speed.
                 - Forts construction speed (combined with Airfield size).
                 - Garrison required in Chinese Bases (combined with Airfield size and production items in city).
                 - Reduction of LCU Fatigue (combined with Airfield size).
                 - Spoilage amount of Fuel / Supplies (combined with Airfield size).
                 - Victory Points for holding a Base (combined with Airfield size)
- Size 1[/b] - Barges & PT Boats can be activated (requires 10.000+ Supplies at Base).
            - Fuel can be produced by HI & Oil centers in city.
            - Ship Tenders (AD, AR, MLE...) can perform their duties.
            - Can be Mined.
- Size 3[/b] - TFs can be disbanded - ships put At Anchor[/i][/b].
            - PT Boats can reload Torpedoes. (requires 3.000+ Supplies at Base).
            - Ships Docked [/i][/b]/At Anchor[/i][/b]  immune to Sub attacks.
- Size 5[/b] - Ship's systems (weapons, radars...) can be repaired.
- Size 8[/b] - Can be used for Auto Sub Ops (requires 10.000+ Supplies at Base).
            - SS & Surface Ships can reload Torpedoes.
- Size 9[/b] - ML, DM & SS can reload Mines.

Andvari

Post by Andvari »

I liked this post from Feinder for Airbase Size. I'll post the Skripta next.

0 - Only Patrols and Floats
1 - Recons, Transports, CAP (Fighters, Fighter-Bombers, and Float-Fighters). No offensive missions including LRCAP. [Somebody posted a correction that LRCAP (but not sweeps) can be flown from a size 1 AF. ]
2 - Above, plus Fighters, Fighter-Bombers, Float fighters, Torpedo Bombers, Dive Bombers may conduct operations normally.
3 - Above, plus 2e medium bombers at normal range (no extended range). Also, 2e bombers carrier lighter loads and have more planes damaged/lost from ops.
4 - Above, and 2e bombers carry normal loads, and my fly to extended range, ops losses greatly reduced. 4e bombers at normal range (no extended range), with lighter loads, and significantly more damage/loss from ops.
5 - Above, and 2e ops losses are all but eliminated. 4e bombers may carry normal loads at extended range. Ops damage/losses are still "painful" in my opinion.
6 - Above, and 4e bomber ops damage/losses are minimal.

If a base doesn't have 2x supply, then 2e and 4e bombers will carry lighter loads and might not fly at extended range.
Andvari

Post by Andvari »

Size of Airfield
- Influences - Operational Losses at take-off / landing.
                 - Chance of being Targeted by enemy Air Strike.
                 - Airfield Facilities' damage repair time & Airfield expand time.
                 - Chance to destroy / damage planes on ground.
                 - Level Bombers on Offensive Missions flying without penalties.
                 - What Missions planes can fly, when Airfield has sustained Runway Damage.
                 - Max. number of planes that can fly Missions.
                 - Max. number of Aviation Support in a main Base Force Unit in Base.
                 - Forts construction speed (combined with Port size).
                 - Garrison required in Chinese Bases (combined with Port size and production items in city).
                 - Reduction of LCU Fatigue (combined with Port size).
                 - Spoilage amount of Fuel / Supplies (combined with Port size).
                 - Victory Points for holding a Base (Combined with Port size).
- Size 0 [/b]- [/b]Float Planes, Float Fighters or Patrol Planes can use - only if Costal hex.
            - If SPS = 0, takes 10 * longer than normal to expand to Size 1.
- Size 1 [/b]- [/b]Airfield / Port / Naval / Ground Attack and Sweep Missions can't be flown.
            - Can be Targeted for Air Troop Transport.
            - Ships' Air Units can transfer from their Ships.
- Size 4 - Level Bombers with Bomb Load < 6,500 fly Offensive Missions without penalties.
- Size 5 - Level Bombers with 6,500 < Bomb Load < 13,000 fly Offensive Missions without penalties.
- Size 6 - Level Bombers with 13,000 < Bomb Load < 19,500 fly Offensive Missions without penalties.
- Size 7 - Level Bombers with Bomb Load > 19.500 fly Offensive Missions without penalties.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I think the confusion between 1 and 3 comes from the benefit a support ship gives to the port. A support ship boosts the size of the port by 2 for the purpose that ship is designed for. So an AS in a port will boost sub ops in that port as if it was 2 larger than it is. For other functions, the port would be effectively the same size.

Similarly, an AR will boost the repair capabilities of a port by 2, an AD will boost the destroyer support by 2, etc.

So a size 1 port with an AS in it will be able to support subs as if the port was size 3.

It sounds like somebody should host the skripta.doc file again. I had never heard of it until today. Maybe Spooky can host it on his site?

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

I just want to refill my ML's and let them get back to work.&nbsp; [:D]&nbsp; It looks like a size 1 port will be suffecient for that...
&nbsp;
Should I assume that I will need fuel to replentish the ML's at the same time?
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
temagic

Post by temagic »

ORIGINAL: Andvari

Size of Airfield
- Influences - Operational Losses at take-off / landing.
- Chance of being Targeted by enemy Air Strike.
- Airfield Facilities' damage repair time & Airfield expand time.
- Chance to destroy / damage planes on ground.
- Level Bombers on Offensive Missions flying without penalties.
- What Missions planes can fly, when Airfield has sustained Runway Damage.
- Max. number of planes that can fly Missions.
- Max. number of Aviation Support in a main Base Force Unit in Base.
- Forts construction speed (combined with Port size).
- Garrison required in Chinese Bases (combined with Port size and production items in city).
- Reduction of LCU Fatigue (combined with Port size).
- Spoilage amount of Fuel / Supplies (combined with Port size).
- Victory Points for holding a Base (Combined with Port size).
- Size 0 [/b]- [/b]Float Planes, Float Fighters or Patrol Planes can use - only if Costal hex.
- If SPS = 0, takes 10 * longer than normal to expand to Size 1.
- Size 1 [/b]- [/b]Airfield / Port / Naval / Ground Attack and Sweep Missions can't be flown.
- Can be Targeted for Air Troop Transport.
- Ships' Air Units can transfer from their Ships.
- Size 4 - Level Bombers with Bomb Load < 6,500 fly Offensive Missions without penalties.
- Size 5 - Level Bombers with 6,500 < Bomb Load < 13,000 fly Offensive Missions without penalties.
- Size 6 - Level Bombers with 13,000 < Bomb Load < 19,500 fly Offensive Missions without penalties.
- Size 7 - Level Bombers with Bomb Load > 19.500 fly Offensive Missions without penalties.

So what's the reasoning for having airfields greater than size 7?
Fighting for the Greater East-Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere
tsimmonds

Post by tsimmonds »

ORIGINAL: USS America

I just want to refill my ML's and let them get back to work.  [:D]  It looks like a size 1 port will be suffecient for that...

Should I assume that I will need fuel to replentish the ML's at the same time?
Yup, you need fuel + supplies at the port.
Fear the kitten!
tsimmonds

Post by tsimmonds »

ORIGINAL: temagic

So what's the reasoning for having airfields greater than size 7?
So you can have more a/c at the base. Some people don't overstack.[:'(][;)]
Fear the kitten!
temagic

Post by temagic »

yes, but apart from house rules, there are no practical reasoning for increasing a airbase above size 7?
Fighting for the Greater East-Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: temagic

yes, but apart from house rules, there are no practical reasoning for increasing a airbase above size 7?

the game WILL penalize you for overloaded airfields. So, if you have a lot of aircraft you need to use at the airfield, then, yes, it does pay to expand them.
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Thanks, guys!&nbsp; Good stuff, as usual!&nbsp; [8D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Charles2222

Post by Charles2222 »

ORIGINAL: FAdmiral

War in the Pacific "Skripta" is a .doc file with lots of these type charts in it, including port/airfield size capabiities.  Can't remember who put it together, but I think it's available at Spooky's site.

Maybe someone can post a link to that file for DL. I would like to have it too.
Accurate information is a MUST when playing a massive game like this....

JIM

Baloney, people have been playing this game by mere hypothesis for years. I would put a smiley there since it's funny, but the sad thing is that it really isn't a joke.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Why's that sad? I personally use the "play-wearing-a-blindfold-and-earplugs" method. Works great![:'(]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

Yes, there is value to expanding beyond size 7.

First of all, you will suffer fewer operational losses (take-off and landing crashes).

Secondly, you can store more supply without having to worry about spoilage. At a size 7 base, you can store (7*7*3000) + 5000 = 152,000 supplies. At a size 8 base, you can store (8*8*3000) + 5000 = 197,000 supplies.

Now the question becomes, do you want to burn the supplies required to expand? That will obviously depend on the game specifics. There probably aren't too many instances where the expansion would be worth it, but I suspect there could be a few.
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

The spoilage bit is usually only an issue for inland bases, as it is the combined size of the port AND airfield that is used to calculate the spoilage rate. If the combined size is 10 or more, there is no spoilage (iirc).
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

Yeah, that's what I was referring to - the bases in China mainly.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

War in the Pacific "Skripta" is a .doc file with lots of these type charts in it, including port/airfield size capabiities.  Can't remember who put it together, but I think it's available at Spooky's site.

JIM

Baloney, people have been playing this game by mere hypothesis for years. I would put a smiley there since it's funny, but the sad thing is that it really isn't a joke.
The trouble with hypotheses is that they are often not terribly accurate (especially when playing this game). And when you're investing 3-5 weeks preparing a turn #1 as the Japanese player, it really sucks when you see that you and the game were on a different wavelength when it comes to some crucial game mechanics issue. 75-100 hours down the drain because you didn't have accurate information regarding how the game functions - that really hurts. [:(]
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

JIM

The trouble with hypotheses is that they are often not terribly accurate (especially when playing this game). And when you're investing 3-5 weeks preparing a turn #1 as the Japanese player, it really sucks when you see that you and the game were on a different wavelength when it comes to some crucial game mechanics issue. 75-100 hours down the drain because you didn't have accurate information regarding how the game functions - that really hurts. [:(]

Must have been something really crucial you goofed up on...
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

Well, nearly completely shutting down industry because you believe you will be very limited on oil and resources very early in the game is a big issue.

In one of my first games as the Japanese, I initially thought that 6 oil points and 6 resource points were expended for every HI factory in operation. At that rate, Japan would be out of oil and/or resources in a few weeks. So, I virtually shut everything down to conserve materials.

After playing for a few weeks, someone on this forum informed me that the manual was in error and that only 1 point of oil and 1 point of resources were actually consumed. By that point, I was into April of 1942. I had lost four and a half months of production because the manual uses the word "expended" (when it actually should have used a word like "required"). I had been wondering why my oil and resource levels were growing like crazy, but I just chalked it up to a bit of a miscalculation on my part.

Needless to say, I was fumed! A major chunk of my life had just gone down the toilet (well, not completely since I enjoyed playing the game up to that point). I was so peeved that I walked away from the game for about 6 months and went back to UV. Ever since, I've been really uptight about making sure that I really understand game mechanics as they actually are, not as the manual says they are suppossed to be. (Hence all of the questions that I bombard you guys with on an almost daily basis.)
FAdmiral

Post by FAdmiral »

So the moral of this story is:
The manual only gives you the BASICS (up to that point in time)
The Specifics are learned from your Experience (or if you live on this
forum, someones elses)

JIM

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”