FLAGS

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

christof139

FLAGS

Post by christof139 »

The site I was thinking of is called Warflags, and someone posted a snapshot of the flags here but not the site address, so here is the site address:

http://www.warflag.com/flags/acw/csatext.shtml

Seems, FoF already uses some of these, and unfortunately there is not an ANV HQ or Engineer HQ flags.

There is are other sites that gave Union organizational flags, which I think are in the game already or can be as a mod by Jim I think it was, and these other sites may have more CSA flags too, I just have to look for these sites on some CD-R's of mine.

Chris
'What is more amazing, is that amongst all those approaching enemies there is not one named Gisgo.' Hannibal Barcid (or Barca) to Gisgo, a Greek staff officer, Cannae.
That's the CSS North Carolina BB-55
Boris Badanov, looking for Natasha Goodenov
christof139

RE: FLAGS

Post by christof139 »

Also, the most accurate set of ACW wargame rules ever made, 'Iron Brigade', in which the author used scads of statistics to compute fire dmage of weapons at differnt ranges etc. etc. etc.

http://www.willegal.net/iron_brigade/iron-first_page.htm

Chris

'What is more amazing, is that amongst all those approaching enemies there is not one named Gisgo.' Hannibal Barcid (or Barca) to Gisgo, a Greek staff officer, Cannae.
christof139

Post by christof139 »

Small Arms Stats for Erik and all:

http://www.willegal.net/iron_brigade/iron-first_page.htm

From the fellow that made Iron brigade and A Perfect Sheet of Flame rules. You need Adobe PDF to read this.

Chris

christof139

Post by christof139 »

Arms carried by the 36th Illinois Inf. Regt. during the war. Note
that the Springfields are lumped together as 1855-1863 models becuase
the Maynard Primers ot the 1855 Model were replaced by regular
Percussion Cap Nipples, and there wasn't much if any difference in
the firing capabilities of the Models 1855, 1861, and 1863
Springfields. the main differences were in what types of bands were
used to hold the barrel to the stock, the weight, etc.
http://members.aol.com/fkt4387/36inf/weapons.html
Info. taken form the book 'Arming the Suckers'by Ken Baumann.

Chris
christof139

I found them thar FLAGS!!! Good copies mainly.

Post by christof139 »

Yeeehhaaaowww!!!!! I found'em!!! Mega bytes and Bits of 'em!!! I did have them on CD, including Lee's ANV HQ Flag, but not the Engineers. The ANV Engineers can be found though on the inet.
Here is Lee's ANV HQ Flag:[font=arial]
[/font][font=arial]
I can email GIF's, JPEG's, and BMP's to the PixelPusher. McCown's Division had at least 2 variants, the white St. Andrews cross on a blue field, and the same with red trianglea at the corners. I have good pics of the Louisiana State Pelican Flag, a red SC flag, a Red Bonnie Blue Flag which was popular, this SC Sovereign Flag that is very sharp:

A Missouri Flag with a blue canton and red cross on a white filed of the Stainless banner, but it may or may not have had a light blue border:

Why it is hatched diagonally I don't know, it is a GIF enlarged from 100% to 1600% so that may be why.

MCCown's Division, 2nd Variant, the 1st variant was just your standard St. Andrew's Cross on blue with our without a white border around the field.

Below is from East Tennessee and Kentucky:

Most flags used in the West with the AoT had no center stars, and frequently a set of crossed cannon barrels in black, blue or whatever color would be used in place of the center star thus denoting that the unit had captured at least 1 enemy Arty. piece. These crossed cannon were not always nut usually placed in the center of the bars in palce of the center star:

Below is THE Florida State Flag:

SC Bonnie Red Flag:

A Polk Flag variant:

Louisian Pelican Flag, a State flag:

A photo of an actual flag from Taylor's Trans Miss. Army in 1864 made from silk and with some cotton I think by Southern exile women in Cuba. The game has this flag listed as a SC flag.

A photo of one of Parson's Texas Cavalry flags, and I do believe the game may have this one. It has a large center star and very narrow St. Andrew's Cross:

Union Wisconsin State Flag, but different Wisconsin State flags were carried besides this version:

Ohio State Flag, perhaps carried by Artillery and/or cavalry:

NY State flag, which the game has I do believe:

General Fremont's flag:

Union Cavalry Guidon with gold stars:

An interesting star pattern variant of Old Glory:

An Illinois State Flag, and Illinois troops also carried mainly blue varities it seems, many looking like standard blue USA Regimental flags:

Battle damaged Union flags. I think these are Cotton Jim Flags for wargamers:

1st Texas Inf. flag:

A large view of a Louisiana National Flag, which the game already has:

Well, unfortuantely, I can't post pics of these flags it seems. [&:]

I would have to upload them somewhere and then give the http address to the system here in order to upload them here.

I can send them to Erik or the PixelPusher or Gil if they are interested. These are decent copies.

Tell me what to do.

Chris

[/font]
christof139

RE: I found them thar FLAGS!!! Good copies mainly.

Post by christof139 »

HOW does one upload pics here!!???????!! [&:][:@][&:][&:][X(][8|]

I tried to upload, but no success because I haven't done that in years.

I tried sending a regular Hotmail email with attachments to the general Matrix forums address with Erik, PixelPusher and Gil mentioned in the title, and I had about 4 flag pics attached. Hope someone gets it.

I have some pics of some interesting flags.

Chris

ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Feel free to email them to me at ericbabe@west-civ.com and I can get them to Pixelpusher.
christof139

Post by christof139 »

Hi Erik,

I got the Flag pics to post int the 'Flags of Our Great (e4) Granfather thread here:

tm.asp?m=1314440

There are 2 Illionois State flags, one for the 43rd Illinois Veteran Inf. Regt. if I remember correctly., and a lot of Confed flages such as: 1) Lee's ANV HQ flag, 2) The Chief Engineer of the ANV flag, 3) The SC Sovereing flag that is very sharp and unique with 15 stars, one each for each of the slaveholding States., 4) An East Tennessee and Kentucky rgion battle flag pattern with orangeish colored stars that seem to be peculiar to flags from that region., and 5) etc. etc. etc.

Neat flags. I need to find and post some more, especially the Union flags, as it may be the Confeds. have enough.

Chris

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”