Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Cuttlefish

RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki

Post by Cuttlefish »

December 25, 1941

Course: None
Attached to: TF 5
Mission: Surface Combat
System Damage: 1
Fuel: 360

Orders: Patrol outside of harbor. Enemy surface elements are reported heavily damaged by air attack at Singapore and are withdrawing to the southeast, so attack is considered unlikely. Light carrier TF 3 is expected to arrive at Kuching tomorrow, at which time TF 5 and TF 3 will pursue and destroy the enemy fleet.

---

On the bridge of the Hibiki

Captain Ishii: What is your report on the prisoner, Exec?

Lieutenant Miharu: Sir, his name is Frank Barnwell. He was the plane's gunner and radio operator. We have rigged a storeroom as a makeshift brig and he is there under guard.

Captain Ishii: Very well. He is our responsibility until someone from the Kempeitai comes to take him off our hands, probably tomorrow. In the meantime, see that he gets a standard ration and make sure he causes no trouble.

Lieutenant Miharu: Yes sir. *hesitates*

Captain Ishii: Is something on your mind, Exec?

Lieutenant Miharu: No sir.

Captain Ishii: Hmm. Very well. Carry on, then.

Lieutenant Miharu: Yes sir *salutes and departs*

Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

December 26, 1941

Course: None
System Damage: 1
Fuel: 348

Orders: Proceed into Java Sea in concert with TF 3 and seek out and destroy enemy military ships and transports. Combat air patrol from Ryujo and Zuiho will neutralize the enemy air response.

---

Excerpt from "Twelve Islands to Freedom" by Frank Barnwell, Scriveners Publishing, London, 1958

And so I spent Christmas Day sitting on two bags of rice in a cramped storeroom aboard a Japanese destroyer, playing cards with my guard. He seemed like a nice enough kid, a fellow named Taiki with an open, pleasant face. He was very friendly and polite, and kept apologizing every time he won a hand. And he won a lot. He didn't look like he had an ounce of guile in him, but he was hands down the best card player I have ever run across. But it was okay, because all the matches he won from me he had loaned me in the first place.

A couple of times the executive officer came in and we talked. The exec was a tall, serious looking chap. It turned out he had spent a year in America, but despite this he spoke excellent English.

I asked him what they were going to do to me, and he told me that before long a boat would come from Kuching to collect me. I would join some Dutch prisoners being organized into work gangs by the Kempeitai to clean up and repair the docks and airfield. He seemed unhappy about it. I thought at the time that it was because I was an inconvenience to the smooth running of the ship, but in light of what happened later there may have been more to it...
Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

December 27, 1941

Course: Northwest
System Damage: 24
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 7
Fuel: 255

Orders: Bring fires under control. Attempt to maintain speed and retire with the rest of the task force.

---

On the bridge of the Hibiki:

*The ship shudders as a bomb falls 75 yards ahead of the ship. The roar of a receding bomber can be heard over the banging of the ship's two anti aircraft guns*

Lookout: Another bomber coming in from the starboard side, sir!

Captain Ishii: Full right rudder!

Lieutenant Miharu: Damage control parties are standing by, sir.

Captain Ishii: *training his glasses on the approaching plane* That is good, Exec, because I think this bastard is going to...

*Hibiki is jarred by an explosion. The ship shudders violently from one end to the other. Above the sounds of breaking glass and the screams of men the whoosh of flames can be heard. Captain Ishii extends a hand and helps Lieutenant Miharu to his feet.*

Captain Ishii: *calmly* Check out the damage, Exec, and bring me a report.
Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

December 28, 1941

Course: North
System Damage: 25
Fires: 2
Fuel: 170

Orders: Rendezvous with other damaged ships, including CVL Zuiho. Proceed back to Japan for repairs.

---

Damage report, destroyer Hibiki:

One bomb struck on starboard side aft of torpedo mounts. Fires now mostly under control. Eight crewmen dead, eleven injured. Vibrations damaged bearings on starboard shaft, speed reduced by five knots.

---

Excerpt from "Twelve Islands to Freedom" by Frank Barnwell, Scriveners Publishing, London, 1958

...and so I was still aboard the ship when it sortied from Kuching. I spent a restless night trying to get comfortable on my bags of rice. The night was warm, but I was still grateful for the blanket I had been given, as it made a tolerable mattress.

In the morning Taiki brought me some food, mostly rice and some fish. I really wanted to ask him where we were and what was going on, but since he spoke as much English as I spoke Japanese it didn't seem like that would get me anywhere.

I was about to suggest some more cards when suddenly a klaxon went off. Taiki dashed out and slammed the door behind him, but didn't take the time to lock it. After just a moment I felt the deck vibrate as the engines increased speed, and a moment after that I heard guns begin firing. Stuck in my little room I could not tell what was happening, but soon enough I felt the vibrations from near misses.

I don't mind saying that for the first and only time of the war I was praying that our chaps were off their game. I was all in favor of sinking Japanese ships, mind you, but not any that I happened to be on at the time.

Suddenly there was a huge bang. The bomb hit close enough that the concussion in my little room knocked me silly for a moment. When I collected my wits I went to the door and edged it open. Outside everything was chaos. Not far away a section of the rail was gone and there was a hole in the deck. Fires licked up from beneath, curling around the edges. Not far from me was a body, or part of one anyway. Crewmen were running around like mad, but I got no sense of panic. They were a disciplined bunch, I give them that.

Looking out past the rail I could see a small island maybe half a mile off. Well, Frank, I said to myself, it's now or never if you want to get off this tub. No one was paying any attention to me at all, so I strode to the rail like I belonged there and swung a leg over.

Right then I looked to the side and saw the executive officer looking right at me. He looked at me, then out at the island, then back to me. He nodded once. I grinned, threw him a salute, and did my best dive right off the rail.

After swimming a bit I stopped and looked back. The destroyer was moving off, trailing smoke. I could see a few other plumes of smoke rising in the distance.

"Good luck, chaps," I murmured, then turned and swam the rest of the way to the island without looking back.

---

Hibiki takes a hit! Note the increase in crew experience from the beginning of the war just three weeks ago (from 71/66 to 74/66)

Attachments
hibiki_122841.gif
hibiki_122841.gif (41.45 KiB) Viewed 285 times
Kane

Post by Kane »

Ouch.. that bomb hurts our ship. Well, two weeks in Tokyo drinking sake and we will be like new ;)
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Glad to see Hibiki survived its first battle wounds. At least back in Tokyo there will be lots of war news to be heard...

I hadn't thought about the experience, that will be interesting to watch.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

December 29, 1941

Course: West by northwest
Attached to: TF 118
Mission: Air Combat
Fires: 0
Fuel: 152

Orders: Take on fuel at Camranh Bay before proceeding back to Japan for repairs.

---

From the diary of Seaman First Class Taiki Takahashi

I visited with Riku for a bit today. His shoulder is all bandaged but he is in good spirits, and proudly showed me the piece of metal they dug out of his shoulder. He is looking forward to finishing his recovery in Japan, and is sure that his wound will attract the sympathetic attention of all the young women.

I am looking forward to seeing Japan again, too. It has been only a month since we sailed, but with everything that has happened it seems like years. I can perhaps get leave long enough to visit my family, and maybe they will have news of Noboru.

I had expected to be disciplined for allowing the prisoner to escape, but except for a few most cursory questions by Lieutenant Miharu I have heard nothing about it. Curious, but I am not complaining!

---

Destroyer Hibiki prior to the war:

Attachments
hibiki_photo.jpg
hibiki_photo.jpg (13.08 KiB) Viewed 294 times
BLUESBOB

Post by BLUESBOB »

From what I know, which could be wrong...I think Allied ships coming back from war patrol had a "homecoming"....a little celebration at the harbor it was returning to...maybe a a fireboat sprays the harbor...tugs and other ships blow their horns...a small band on the pier...a little crowd of officers, wives, reporters...I believe the Germans did it also...

I wonder if Japanese warships were greeted in the same way?
buzzz123

Post by buzzz123 »

Captain Ishii *neutrally* Captain Maeno is known as a promising and careful officer. He is best qualified to command a surface fleet.

love it!!

Now who wants to start an AAR from the perspective of a lowly pilot? Maybe pick some poor mug flying a Vildebeest - at least it would not be a long term project!!
Przemcio231

Post by Przemcio231 »

well definetly if he will be flying Vildebeest[:D]

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)
HMS Resolution

Post by HMS Resolution »

ORIGINAL: buzzz123
Now who wants to start an AAR from the perspective of a lowly pilot? Maybe pick some poor mug flying a Vildebeest - at least it would not be a long term project!!

I actually have some poor fella who got seperated from his squadron when they upgraded to Beauforts, and consequently will be in a Vildebeest for the rest of the war.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

This AAR is maintaining its impressive standards of writing. I assume when Hibiki docks there will be news of the other theaters?
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

December 30, 1941

Fuel: 131

Orders: Take on fuel at Camranh Bay before proceeding back to Japan for repairs.

---

In the engine room of the Hibiki:

Captain Ishii: What is your report, Chief Engineer?

Chief Engineer Sakati: Sir, all four boilers are in good condition. The starboard shaft is running a bit hot from the damaged bearings, but as long as speed is kept under 25 knots we should be fine.

Captain Ishii: Very well. Give me all the speed you can without risking further damage. I want to get home so we can get this ship back in the war!

Chief Engineer Sakati: Aye, captain.

---

Task Force 118

Attachments
hibiki_123041.jpg
hibiki_123041.jpg (49.88 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

This AAR is maintaining its impressive standards of writing. I assume when Hibiki docks there will be news of the other theaters?

Thanks for the kind words, and there will indeed be news of the war. It is actually much harder than I thought it would be to not mention things that the Hibiki's crew would have no knowledge of, especially as my opponent (Wolffpack) has put up an aggressive defense in the early going and it is a rather interesting game so far.
Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

December 31, 1941

Fuel: 117

Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

January 1, 1942

Course: Docked
Fuel: 474

Orders: Proceed to the naval repair docks at Okayama for repairs.

---

Excerpt from a letter from Lieutenant Sakamoto Miharu to his wife:

...so have no fears, I was not hurt in the attack.

There are quite a few ships in the harbor here at Camranh Bay loading supplies and equipment for the war. I think most of it is going to Malaya. The news from there is very good, and the gloom over the debacle at Mersing has been lifted by our victory at Georgetown. General Yamashita is being lionized as a hero, and perhaps rightfully so. To outmaneuver and trap seven enemy regiments against the sea is a remarkable feat, and their surrender has opened the road to Singapore. Reports say our troops are advancing 25 or 30 miles a day.

For our part, we have been ordered to the naval repair yards at Okayama. The repairs will keep me quite busy, I am sure, but do not worry. Duty comes first, always, but we should be able to spend at least some time together. If you take the train from Kanazawa...

---

Excerpt from a letter from Captain Ishii to the parents of Seaman First Class Masahiro Morita:

...and his damage control team was stationed in the aft crew's mess when the bomb penetrated the deck and exploded there. I can assure you his death was immediate and painless.

Your son was a fine sailor and a credit to his ship and to the Imperial Japanese Navy. Be proud in his death, given in service to his Emperor. It is through the sacrifice of brave men such as your son that we will gain victory and thus ensure the survival of Japan.

Enclosed you will find his possessions...
HarryM

Post by HarryM »

Very well written!
Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

January 2, 1942

Course: North
Fuel: 449

Orders: Proceed to the naval repair docks at Okayama for repairs.

---

US Naval Intelligence ship recognition card from December 1942:

The label is not quite correct. The Akatsuki class destroyers, of which there were only four (Akatsuki, Hibiki, Ikazuchi, Inazuma), were very similar to the Fubuki class destroyers but not identical. They had a very similar profile and armament but were 7' shorter and displaced 110 tons less. Since the Akatsukis were built right after the Fubukis were completed I suspect these changes had to do with correcting some of the problems the Fubuki class ships had with being top heavy.
Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

January 3, 1942

Course: North by northeast
Fuel: 425

Orders: Proceed to the naval repair docks at Okayama for repairs. Be aware that enemy submarines have been operating in the Luzon Strait, though vigorous anti-submarine efforts have reduced this threat recently.

---

From the diary of Seaman First Class Taiki Takahashi

Riku was cleared by the medics to return to light duty today. While I was sweating with a crew repairing the aft torpedo hoist he was up on the tower enjoying the breeze and gazing through a pair of the model 5 binoculars. After he was relieved he came down and instead of requesting further duties told Shun his shoulder was paining him and asked if he could return to his bunk. Shun's only response was to backhand him across the face so hard he was forced back a step. Then he told Riku to report to the galley and assist the cooks.

Poor Riku. I think he expected more sympathy from Shun because it was Shun who carried him to safety after the bomb hit. I saw it myself, Shun carried him out of the smoke and fire and put him down on the deck as gently as a mother with an infant. Then he went back and got two other injured men out. But the smile and charm that serve Riku so well with the girls does not cut much ice with chief petty officers. You would think he would have learned that by now.
Przemcio231

Post by Przemcio231 »

Great AAR it inspired me and im on the verge of starting a smiliar one on my game as Allies[;)]

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)

Return to “After Action Reports”