Scenario Editor

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

BK6583

Scenario Editor

Post by BK6583 »

Am I missing something here? Having played the old TOAW I liked being able to edit an already existing scenario to tweak it to my preferences. The first paragraph of the TOAW III manual dealing with using the editor says something along the lines of "If you don't intend to design your own scenario, read no further." Can I edit an already existing scenario (in my case I was trying to edit Middle east '73 from Classic TOAW) or has capability been removed from TOAW III?
golden delicious

RE: Scenario Editor

Post by golden delicious »

Dude was just trying to make the manual seem shorter. You can edit to your heart's content.
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
BK6583

Post by BK6583 »

Ok - how? Really hate to sound mentally challenged here (and I'm writing this from work so I'm going from perhaps fuzzy memory) but I've clicked on the edit icon in the first screen (where the map editor comes up), I open the Middle East '73 scenario, and then I can't figure it out from there. I don't seem to be able to manipulate any of the units shown on the map for the actual scenario. I've tried the edit menu for what appears to be two edit force type options but both of those appear to only allow me to create units and not modify the actual scenario specific units. Can you walk me through the step-by-step menu screens that will allow me to edit the forces in an already existing game scenario?
golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

ORIGINAL: BK6583

Ok - how? Really hate to sound mentally challenged here (and I'm writing this from work so I'm going from perhaps fuzzy memory) but I've clicked on the edit icon in the first screen (where the map editor comes up), I open the Middle East '73 scenario, and then I can't figure it out from there. I don't seem to be able to manipulate any of the units shown on the map for the actual scenario.

OK. Once you have the scenario open in the editor, to edit units you need to open the force editor from whichever one of the menus it is. I forget.

This should bring up a window which has a view of the first unit in the OOB in the left-hand pane and one of a number of things in the right;
a) a list of all the units in the scenario in order
b) the equipment list
c) a view of the formation the first unit belongs to.

You can switch between these with the appropriate buttons below the right pane. It's pretty straightforward from there. Left click a unit in either the full list or the formation view to bring it up in the left hand pane. You can then use said pane to modify the assigned equipment and the unit icon, the appropriate button beneath the pane for supply, readiness and proficiency, or go to the equipment list to change authorised (i.e. maximum) equipment.

If you want to change the deployment of the units, you need to switch from the map editor to the deployment editor (with the force editor closed). Right clicking then carries out the active function, whilst left clicking either selects a unit or cycles through the functions.
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”