Flying ASW/CAP with bombers

Gary Grigsby’s World at War is back with a whole new set of features. World at War: A World Divided still gives complete control over the production, research and military strategy for your side, but in this new updated version you’ll also be able to bring spies into the mix as well as neutral country diplomacy, variable political events and much more. Perhaps the largest item is the ability to play a special Soviet vs. Allies scenario that occurs after the end of World War II.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

coralsaw

Flying ASW/CAP with bombers

Post by coralsaw »

Hello again,

One more clarification about flying CAP. I've noticed that many times when as allies I attack submarines with bombers (from Iceland or Canada), I can also fly them CAP during the same round and mroeover the regions over where I can fly them CAP differs.

What's the rule? It seems to me that an air unit that has attacked fire can still fly CAP, on all regions where remaining points permit it. Is this correct?

Thx
A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. - Napoleon Bonaparte, 15 July 1815, to the captain of HMS Bellerophon.
GKar

RE: Flying ASW/CAP with bombers

Post by GKar »

ORIGINAL: coralsaw

What's the rule? It seems to me that an air unit that has attacked fire can still fly CAP, on all regions where remaining points permit it. Is this correct?
I think so, yes.
coralsaw

Post by coralsaw »

Thx again GKar!
A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. - Napoleon Bonaparte, 15 July 1815, to the captain of HMS Bellerophon.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Original: Coralsaw

One more clarification about flying CAP. I've noticed that many times when as allies I attack submarines with bombers (from Iceland or Canada), I can also fly them CAP during the same round and mroeover the regions over where I can fly them CAP differs.

After conducting an attack you can still move the units as far as remaining movement points are left.
Not just only with air units, but with naval and ground units as well. This is useful with armour units, attack, destroy, strategically withdraw.

The reason is that turn's lenght are three months.
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
coralsaw

Post by coralsaw »

Thx, I knew about that but it hadn't really register you can attack and go on a CAP mission in the same turn. Guess I am too much into HPS/SSG games. Image

/ik
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

ORIGINAL: rjh1971
Original: Coralsaw

After conducting an attack you can still move the units as far as remaining movement points are left.
Not just only with air units, but with naval and ground units as well. This is useful with armour units, attack, destroy, strategically withdraw.

However, after an air unit has fought it cannot be place your CAP in a region that would require combat.

So, if you attack something with your air units, you will not then be allowed to place CAP over enemy non-sub fleets, for example.

Post by Avatar47 »

To all players who don't or under-use this feature, I highly recommend you do use it. You will be under-using your forces if you don't. In essence, this is a 2nd move, and every unit, whether sea/air/ground, with movement points remaining after combat should be further analyzed.

Also, for those who don't know, there is another 'secret' with moving Air units. If you are tactically moving an Air unit, you can 'rebase' it the same turn as attacking with it. i.e. instead of moving a bomber in W Germany to attack Leningrad directly, move the bomber first to E Germany, and then to Leningrad. When the HB returns, its new base will be E Germany. You can do this up to the last movement point, ie move from WGermany to Belorussia, and then attack Smolensk, the new base will be Belo. Very very very useful time-saving tactic. I see newbies fail to do this over and over, and even veterans can forget on occasion.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Have this tactics in mind for the allies HB, once they return from a bombing run, place them on ASW duty. If the speed is up to four or five you can build up a screen against uboats, after bombing W. France, the Low Countries...
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided”