Football Manager (Worldwide Soccer Manager)

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Amaroq

Football Manager (Worldwide Soccer Manager)

Post by Amaroq »

So, when he and I got together for beer the other day, Al asked me what was so great about Football Manager... and he's asked it again in the "Favorite Games" thread, so I thought I'd take a crack at it.

First, yeah, its soccer. When I started, I knew $^&%-all about soccer. I mean, I played as a kid, but I didn't know anything at all about modern professional soccer, and I had a sort of mental image of small American crowds and a semi-pro sport played 'for the love of the game'.

Well, it turns out, in Europe and South America, soccer is KING, absolutely bigger than American Football is here. Life and death, and not just at the World Cup level, through the "club" (professional) level as well.

FM (Worldwide Soccer Manager) is, quite simply, the best simulator of that sport out there.

What's so great about it?

Depth, depth, and more depth.

. . .

Attributes
In PureSim, players are rated on what, seven characteristics? Contact, Power, Eye, Hands, Range, Arm, Speed?

In FM, players are rated on more characteristics that I could possibly remember to list: the "Mental" side of the game along includes Aggression, Anticipation, Bravery, Composure, Concentration, Creativity, Decisions, Determination, Flair, Influence, Off the Ball (movement), (defensive) Positioning, Teamwork, and Work Rate. Every decision a player makes during the game-engine is based on those stats - so if your guy is too brave and too aggressive, he's going to get more fouls called against him. Image

Even better, the players have simulated emotional reactions based on those characteristics - so, say you've got a brave, aggressive, strong defender, and the opposition has a small, quick, talented forward .. with very low bravery .. you can order your guy to pound on him (tight marking, hard tackling) and by the second half of the game, that forward may act "ball shy", afraid of getting hurt in the big hits your guy is laying on him. (Of course, there's the risk that your guy gets himself thrown out of the game for too many fouls....)

Further, the players have "Favorite moves", such as "Likes to shoot from long range", "Likes to drift outside"... not all of them are good, you have things like "Argues with referee"...

. . .

Development model
The development model is incredibly sophisticated, as well.

In PureSim, players develop based on a hidden "peak age" number; the further from their peak, the further down the AAA/AA/A ladder you want them playing for maximum development... and 'more playing time is always better'.

FM looks at a number of different factors, but the primary modifiers are his current skill and his potential skill. If he's playing at his potential, he's not going to get any better, fair enough. If he's got room to improve, then things get interesting. For each 'current skill', there's a 'correct playing level'... if you have him playing in the A equivalent when he has AAA skill, he won't improve... but if you have him playing "in over his head", he's in 'survival mode', not learning (think rookie QB starting in the NFL).

Also "in play" are other factors: quality of the team's training facilities, quality of the coaches, whether the player is happy or not, etc.

Players even become "stressed" if you rely on them too young - make most eighteen-year-olds a starter at the highest level, and they'll crack under the pressure. You can even do long-lasting damage, costing them the self-confidence required to succeed at that level, essentially shattering a promising young career.

Even better, you can assign veteran players to "mentor" the younger ones. The younger one will start picking up the mental traits (and 'preferred moves'!) of the "mentor".. again, for good or for ill! If you have a lazy "mentor", the young player is going to learn to be lazy..

. . .

Scouting
International soccer still uses the old system baseball had, before the modern draft and organization. You scout players globally, as do the other teams. At first, all you may know about a player is his name and his position.. but as your scouts visit, they'll reveal more and more about him, showing you some and eventually all of his numeric 'attribute's, as well as giving you the following sort of verbal reports: Image

As you hire personnel - coaches and scouts - you increase your "Scouting Knowledge" of different regions: Image

. . .

Financial Model
The heart of any sim is its financial model.

If its too simplistic, there is no "price" for purchasing the best of anything. (Look at any EA product for an example: you always want to buy the most expensive whatever-it-is, as there's never a downside to doing so.)

In PureSim - and most of the single-developer American titles, honestly - there is a fixed "Budget", and your expenses are deducted from that budget. You can't go over, and either the budget doesn't change from year to year, or 'inflation' increases the budgets.

In FM, the system includes many many sources of income:
- Television contracts
- Prize money
- Day-of-game Ticket sales
- Sale of players
- Season ticket sales
- Merchandising
- Grant monies
- Investments

And many sources of outflow:
- Purchase of players
- Player salaries
- Staff salaries
- Ground maintenance
- Day-of-game costs
- Travel costs
- Dividends!
- Taxes!
- Revenue from affiliated clubs
- Debt payments on loans
- Construction costs

That's only a sampling, but it really has such a detailed financial system that I remember a game where I took over a team with a massive debt, playing at a low level in front of a mostly-empty stadium. It was a significant challenge "just to make ends meet", and I wound up watching the finances on a monthly basis, losing money mosts months, and relying on either selling my best young players for high prices, or making good Cup runs (for both the additional home games, and the prize money). Getting that team clear of debt was a huge accomplishment, and gave me more emotional 'payback' than any accomplishment I've experienced in PureSim.

Your 'board' sets the budgets, including deciding what your maximum total 'wage bill' can be, what your maximum wages are for a single player, and what your 'transfer budget' is. If you spend everything they let you, you're chancing running the team down financially. Likewise, decisions like "Let's build a new stadium", and "Let's improve the training facilities" are in the hands of the board, not the player - and they cost a lot of money, so the board is only going to agree when the team's financial future seems secure.

. . .

Press coverage
Do you like PSPN?

What if it had real articles?

What if you had to answer questions from the media?

What if your answers had discernable effects on your players?

What if your 'malcontents' stirred up trouble in the media as well, potentially unsettling your other players?

What if you could use the media to play mind-games with both your players and the opposition, in the run-up to a big game?

In FM, you can do all of that.

One of my favorite moments in the game was, after I'd reached the "Championship", which is basically England's AAA-equivalent, crowds in the 15,000-30,000 range, and I managed to sign Christian Vieri, one of the biggest Italian stars. His contract had expired, and I made an odd contract offer, with a huge signing bonus and a low annual salary, plus a minimum-fee release clause, which basically meant if any other team was willing to pay me $8M or so, they could hire him away from me.

The neat thing was, the media KNEW what an odd circumstance that was, and I received messages like how the fans met at the airport to greet their big new signing.. how it was standing-room only at his first practice..

.. and then it tied in, of course, to the finanical system, as my attendance took a huge spike upwards, and of course my merchandising revenue increased as well. It lasted about a year, and then some bigger fish paid the $8M to steal him away.

. . .

Promotion and Relegation
Put ALL of that together with the "Promotion/relegation" system...

.. oh, you don't know about that?

Well, in European soccer, each team in A, AA, and AAA is independent. At the end of the year, the top three teams from A get 'promoted' to AA, while the bottom three teams from AA are 'relegated' down to A... and all up the chain, so that the top three teams from the Championship get promoted, while the worst three teams from the Premiership get relegated... and the top three or four teams from the Premiership qualify for the European Champions League the next season!

It has an interesting impact on the schedule, in that most games matter, even very late in the season. The battle between the 19th-place team and the 18th-place team with three weeks left in the season may be a literal battle for life and death (of the organizations), as the loser is almost certainly bound for relegation, and significant drops in their revenue (television, season tickets, prize money, etc). If they've been 'spending' at the Premiership level, they may have to have a 'fire sale' such as American teams can only imagine, just to get down to a reasonable wage for the Championship level.

As a game design, however, that makes for a beautiful, beautiful system, as you can take over a team in the "lowest playable league", which for England would be the Conference North or so, and try to earn promotions... to the Conference .. to League Two .. to League One .. to the Championship .. to the Premier League .. to qualify for Europe .. to WIN in Europe ... well, you're looking at about a twenty-year 'campaign' for that, and that's assuming you're doing very very well!

. . .

One hundred playable leagues?
But the scope of the game isn't just Europe... you can manage just about anywhere, from Australia to the United States, from Argentina to Iceland, from Croatia to Mexico, from Sweden to South Africa...

... and the game knows the correct competition rules for all of them, even the most obscure backwards crazy rules (which most Europeans agree is the MLS, honestly!)

. . .

The World Cup
But AL only cares about the World Cup, and that just for Nationalistic Pride, he says... [;)]

... so, just for him, you can take over the national team of just about any nation in the game as well... and good LUCK trying to turn the U.S. into a perennial international soccer powerhouse, the game DOES know how unlikely that is!

(A hint: you have to work at turning the MLS into a powerhouse league, as well)

. . .

It is EXACTLY what we would dream of PureSim being, if only Shaun had unlimited time and financial backing. [:)]

If you can get past the fact that its "the wrong sport", and get past the fact that you don't know a 4-4-2 from a 3-6-1, and give yourself a year of game time...

... its the best game in our market, bar none.
PadresFan104

RE: Football Manager (Worldwide Soccer Manager)

Post by PadresFan104 »

First of all, we're both poofters for even discussing the sport of Soccer.  That being said, thanks a bunch for the info, I appreciate you taking the time to describe the game to me.  Some questions:

- what's "Marking"?
- is tackling when one player "slides" at another, attempting to steal the ball?
- are there coaches that can handle in-game strategy for you, or is it necessary to learn tactics?
- Is there sound when the games play out?
- How long is a typical season?  Do the lower division seasons happen at the same time as Premiership and European League seasons?
PadresFan's Text Sim Mod Website: http://www.padresfanmods.net
Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/padresfanmods
Amaroq

Post by Amaroq »

LoL! We'll get together for another beer soon, and erase all hint of taint by discussing manly American sports. [;)]

"Marking" = Covering, in American football. Keep the guy from getting open. "Tight marking" would be "Stay real close to him", that "I want you to stay in his hip pocket" command you might give somebody. The other one I had a hard time with was "Pace" = "Speed" in American sports, but I do love that a distinction is made between "Pace" (top speed) and "Acceleration", and you can see the difference on the match display.

"Tackling" - really, any attempt to disposess the player of the ball. The most visually spectacular is the "Slide Tackle", of course, but even just sticking your foot out to stop the ball is a tackle, too. The "Block tackle" is probably harder hitting, honestly, than a "Slide" - basically you position your body where the other guy is trying to go, stop the ball with the foot, and deliver a fairly hard body-to-body contact.. the general rule being "As long as you got the ball first, there's no foul", this can send the other guy flying, legally. A player set to "Hard Tackling" is also likely to be playing a bit outside of the rules, throwing elbows a bit, tugging shirts a bit, that sort of thing... anything to throw the other guy off his game.

Yes, you can have your assistant coach handle tactics for you, but the workaround is a bit sad - you have to 'Go on Holiday' for the match, so you don't get to watch it play-out visually, you just get the final score later. That's no fun - the visual play-out of the game is much more fun to watch, similar to that old animating X's and O's football game from the late eighties - but if you want to see it, you do have to learn tactics. Fortunately, there's a tactics forum over on sigames.com, which can help out.. and honestly, the game comes with a bunch of default tactics will get you at least middle-of-the-road results for a while.

Yes, there is sound as the game plays out, but its very limited, not much different from PureSim as a matter of fact. The crowd noise varies in volume depending on the size of the crowd.. but there's a lot more that could be done with the soundscape to bring the match day alive.

A typical season is between 38 and 46 games. Matches for the lower division seasons happen at the same time as Premiership matches. Match day is typically a weekend (Saturday or Sunday), but there are Cup matches midweek (Tuesday or Wednesday); the Champions League is a Cup (e.g., you still play in the Premiership), so its quite possible to wind up having two matches a week every week for twenty weeks on end... In older versions of the game (CM01-02, for example) I could get through a season in about two evenings of play; the modern game has enough going on that I get through a few matches per evening, not even a month of 'game time'.

... and yes, the game IS deep enough to have your players get exhausted if you try to play the same lineup twice a week every week, as opposed to rotating players a bit.

. . .

One other differentiating factor between FM and the 'typical' game-in-genre is the sense of time.

In FM, days pass at about the same rate-of-real-time during the season as they do in the offseason. There are no "special modes", like there are in PureSim. (Retirement display mode, amateur draft mode, Free agency mode, Spring Training mode)... all of that would happen, in FM's representation, using the same interface as normal game play, you would just have 60-some days until your next match.
PadresFan104

Post by PadresFan104 »

LoL! We'll get together for another beer soon, and erase all hint of taint by discussing manly American sports. [;)]

Nope, we're still poofters.
"Marking" = Covering, in American football. Keep the guy from getting open. "Tight marking" would be "Stay real close to him", that "I want you to stay in his hip pocket" command you might give somebody. The other one I had a hard time with was "Pace" = "Speed" in American sports, but I do love that a distinction is made between "Pace" (top speed) and "Acceleration", and you can see the difference on the match display.

"Tackling" - really, any attempt to disposess the player of the ball. The most visually spectacular is the "Slide Tackle", of course, but even just sticking your foot out to stop the ball is a tackle, too. The "Block tackle" is probably harder hitting, honestly, than a "Slide" - basically you position your body where the other guy is trying to go, stop the ball with the foot, and deliver a fairly hard body-to-body contact.. the general rule being "As long as you got the ball first, there's no foul", this can send the other guy flying, legally. A player set to "Hard Tackling" is also likely to be playing a bit outside of the rules, throwing elbows a bit, tugging shirts a bit, that sort of thing... anything to throw the other guy off his game.

Ok, got it.
the visual play-out of the game is much more fun to watch, similar to that old animating X's and O's football game from the late eighties

XOR NFL Football!!!! Great freakin game right there!
A typical season is between 38 and 46 games.

So what is soccer season??? Spring and Summer?

Great info!!! Thanks!
PadresFan's Text Sim Mod Website: http://www.padresfanmods.net
Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/padresfanmods
Amaroq

Post by Amaroq »

XOR NFL Football, yeah I couldn't remember the name. Might have to add THAT to the 'Nostalgia' section!

Soccer season varies from country to country. In the U.S., MLS plays mid-spring through mid-fall. In England, the season starts in late August and runs through winter until mid-May.

The impacts of weather on the game are fun, by the way - you really do want to adjust your tactical approach for a cold, windy, rainy day as opposed to playing in bright day, and if its too hot your players get exhausted if you ask them to do too much running... but that's not much different than any good NFL sim making it harder to pass in the rain and wind.
Beach23BoyP

Post by Beach23BoyP »

FM is super, fantastic game of tremendous depth. But I, for one, "had" to give it up. In fact, I played the demo of FM2007 (like I did every year) and then I ordered it from England right after it was released. (I played it for 5 or 6 years.)

I just couldn't sleep. I couldn't turn my mind off at night after playing hours on end. It was a total addiction that I had to BREAK.

And people think OOTP2006 is too deep.

dp68

Post by dp68 »

FM-2006/Worldwide Soccer Manager is the greatest sports sim I have ever encountered. I have not checked out 2007 yet.

Yeah I agree with what has been written in this thread. I really don't know jack about soccer, and as many times as I have tried to watch it, I still do not enjoy it. However FM-2006 is so damn good I simply cannot play it enough.

One thing the FM/WSM series has implemented is the simple, yet incredibly effective, animated depiction of the games themselves. I cannot tell you how much immersion this creates! I dig the Puresim 2007 Flight of the Ball animation, but I really would like to see someone create a baseball or football sim which uses a similar animation like FM/WSM. The ability to actually "see" the game play out, and where the strengths and weaknesses are, adds a ton. I don't need Madden style graphics...if I want something that real, I just watch the real game. What I want is to be able to see the action, and see it played out in a realistic fashion.

Can you imagine how fantastic it would be if we had a serious American football sim with that type of graphical engine? It would make me forget about the glory days of Front Page Sports in a hurry.
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

I might have to go into rehab to get of my FM2007 addiction.  I was never a big soccer fan, but this game really sucks you in.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

It's always fun listening to Americans discuss football - proper football not the minority sport known as American football. [:D] All you need to know is that Newcastle United are the best team in the universe.

Best wishes,
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

ORIGINAL: shunwick
All you need to know is that Newcastle United are the best team in the universe.

I'll remember that next time I look at the league table ;-D
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

One of the best and most addictive games ever created.&nbsp;
[center]Image[/center]
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

All you need to know is that Newcastle United are the best team in the universe.

I'll remember that next time I look at the league table ;-D

League tables, unfortunately these days, only reflect which clubs have the wealthiest ownwers.

Best wishes,
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: Mad Cow

One of the best and most addictive games ever created. 

Mad Cow,

Sorry, do you mean football or the computer game?

Best wishes,
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

ORIGINAL: Mad Cow

One of the best and most addictive games ever created.

Mad Cow,

Sorry, do you mean football or the computer game?

Best wishes,

I was talking about FM, but I do love futball. :)
[center]Image[/center]
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

League tables, unfortunately these days, only reflect which clubs have the wealthiest ownwers.

Best wishes,

Sadly that's the case with most professional sports these days (READ: screw the Yankees). It is tough to get behind Manchester United for that reason though. I'm still impressed with Arsenal though.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

League tables, unfortunately these days, only reflect which clubs have the wealthiest owners.

Best wishes,

Sadly that's the case with most professional sports these days (READ: screw the Yankees). It is tough to get behind Manchester United for that reason though. I'm still impressed with Arsenal though.

Yes. I can't go to my local fish and chip shop without running the gauntlet of Arsenal supporters. Wenger's a quality manager. He's made some mistakes but then he isn't God as many in the fish and chip shop would have it. Defence is not as solid as it used to be. That's probably unfair since the quality of defending in the Premiership is generally poor at the moment. My old sports teacher is probably turning in his grave watching what passes as defending these days. Basic errors.

Best wishes,

Return to “General Discussion”