Can we get a listing of the changes and new features for the next release?

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

rook749

Can we get a listing of the changes and new features for the next release?

Post by rook749 »

Everyone,

Is there anyway we get a listing of the changes and new features for the next release? I know it has been stated that you *hoped* it would be ready by the end of January but it might take longer. As we get closer to the end of January I hoping we can get some insight on the changes.

Rook
GBS

RE: Can we get a listing of the changes and new features for the next release?

Post by GBS »

BUMP>
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Very funny: you bump a thread that was the second highest already...

The list of changes is enormous. First and foremost (if one doesn't count the reduction of the CSA navy to two men in a canoe), several bugs and unforeseen "features" have been squashed. Next, there have been a lot of changes made to the UI, the most popular of which might be the ability to go from the City List straight to any city's development screen. Battle reports and the other reports give more information about what has happened (with a special emphasis on letting players know what has happened in PBEM). Minor graphics glitches (e.g., wrong units appearing in quick combat) have been fixed. Changes to the AI's behavior in detailed battles have been made. The diplomatic level necessary to bring the Europeans in to the war has been raised to 9. Governors will no longer request absurd things for their states (such as a shipyard in Kansas), and, thanks to the work of Artmiser, have a greater chance of asking for something especially appropriate to that state (e.g., foundries in Pennsylvania). Academies provide more generals at the different ranks than they did before, and one will no longer be limited to one promotion per turn. Demoted generals now have a 50% chance to resign in protest, and their governors to get ticked off. The Medical attribute now can help all of the units in a container survive disease, not just the unit that has it. Generals bios will make their first appearance (with a batch numbering more than sixty so far). Camps now cost more money and less horses, and have a chance to reduce manpower levels in a province -- thus making them about as easy for both sides to build. Out-of-command units now have a flashing star, so that they're easier to find. Jimwinsor has improved his July 1861 scenario, and our "historical" scenario will be there for everyone to argue about. And so on and so on and so on.

To be honest, for me to list and describe all of the changes would take at least half an hour (this just took five minutes), and I'm too busy working on my contributions to the patch to go into as much detail as we'd all like. But I think this brief summary will show that this patch will be far-reaching, and worth the wait.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
ratters72

Post by ratters72 »

Great work Gil and team.  Keep it up.  And as always thanks for the info and input.
Will insert when I come up with something witty
rook749

Post by rook749 »

Thanks for the info Gil, and also thanks for all the hard work done so far by the team.

Rook
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

ok , sound this out: " uuuoooo, aaahhhh"
"Tanks forward"
spruce

Post by spruce »

so this means no more Universities then for Alabama ? and a sixpack of telegraphs for Texas ?
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

The list of changes is well over 200 points at this time. I think it's probably enough to read what Gil wrote, what I posted earlier and start getting excited. This is a MAJOR update.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
mikecoch

Post by mikecoch »

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

...if one doesn't count the reduction of the CSA navy to two men in a canoe

Hey. Wait one darn minute. I read somewhere that the CSA navy was only ONE man in a canoe!!!!

LOL....

Seriously, thanks for all the work everyone there has (and continues) to put into the game.

IDrinkBeer2
1st Degree Lurker
dude

Post by dude »

ORIGINAL: IDrinkBeer2

...if one doesn't count the reduction of the CSA navy to two men in a canoe

Hey. Wait one darn minute. I read somewhere that the CSA navy was only ONE man in a canoe!!!!

LOL....

Seriously, thanks for all the work everyone there has (and continues) to put into the game.

IDrinkBeer2

Canoe?? they had a canoe? I suppose next they'll want an admiral for that canoe... [:D]

Just kidding... I can't wait for the update... I've bee holding off starting a new game until it comes out... don't.... know.... how..... much.... long...er... I .... can hold .....out....
“Ifs defeated the Confederates…” U.S.Grant
ABridgeTooFar

Post by ABridgeTooFar »

Great work fellas.  Keep it up.  It is greatly appreciated.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Thanks guys for the hard work on the update.[:)]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

butthatcanoe had harpoon anti shipping missiles, it may be slow, but it is deadly!
"Tanks forward"
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

I'm playtesting the historically imbalanced scenario (see how much money Washington and Boston produce?), and thought you'd all appreciate this screenshot. Notice anything different? (Hint: look at the bottom of the screen.)

(By the way, we already noticed that Davenport is producing nothing now. Easily fixed.)

Attachments
NewCityList.jpg
NewCityList.jpg (164.22 KiB) Viewed 51 times
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
General Quarters

Post by General Quarters »

I can't wait to read the AARs for that one!
ABridgeTooFar

Post by ABridgeTooFar »

What's up with the ironworks and university buttons?
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Those allow you to filter the list to see which cities have Ironworks and which cities have Universities. Makes it easier to target your building of mines and research institutions to where they will get the most bonuses.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
General Quarters

Post by General Quarters »

Should a button be added for Telegraphs? Don't they provide a reinforcement benefit to camps?
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

No, telegraphs provide a bonus related to calling in reinforcing groups from adjacent territories.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
spruce

Post by spruce »

Notice anything different? (Hint: look at the bottom of the screen.)

thanks Gil ! Great -

by the way is that some kind of coffee stain at the bottom of the screen ? [:'(]

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”