Please help (very newbie)

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Jakerson

RE: Deployment

Post by Jakerson »

It also helps to read some historical material about Pacific War and battle of Guadalcanal. This helps to understand the nature of war and after you understand nature of war and its history its much more enjoyable play the game also.

I also had hard time first understand UV as I was very used to play games about land war and I really did not understand totally different concept of Island hopping type of warfare where air force, ships and ports logistics have major role and land troops have secondary role.

Logistics is what really won the war in pacific after Japanese bases where cut off from supply they where beaten.
bostonrpgmania

Post by bostonrpgmania »

Reg

Thank you so much for your incredible help

It really helped me a lot[&o][&o]

bostonrpgmania

Post by bostonrpgmania »

ORIGINAL: Jakerson

It also helps to read some historical material about Pacific War and battle of Guadalcanal. This helps to understand the nature of war and after you understand nature of war and its history its much more enjoyable play the game also.

I also had hard time first understand UV as I was very used to play games about land war and I really did not understand totally different concept of Island hopping type of warfare where air force, ships and ports logistics have major role and land troops have secondary role.

Logistics is what really won the war in pacific after Japanese bases where cut off from supply they where beaten.
Indeed. I am also from land based wargame. In that game, units move when I order them to and do not move if I do not touch them. What a difference here in UV [:D]
I bought a book titled "The Pacific War From Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima edied by Daniel Marston
It has an Article by Robert Love--Title is The hight of folly; the batte of the coral sea and mid way

I saw a picture of Admiral Fletcher who I become familiar from UV's loading scene
What an educational value this game has [:D]
Lopo

Post by Lopo »

Bostonrpgmania,

If you are looking for good books on Pacific War, try to read "Eagle against the Sun. The American War with Japan" by Ronald H. Spector... It's an excellent book! Of all I have read about the subject, it's one of the best in my opinion.

Take care
Aperite Infernos
bostonrpgmania

Post by bostonrpgmania »

ORIGINAL: Lopo

Bostonrpgmania,

If you are looking for good books on Pacific War, try to read "Eagle against the Sun. The American War with Japan" by Ronald H. Spector... It's an excellent book! Of all I have read about the subject, it's one of the best in my opinion.

Take care

I will search through amazon.ca and thank you for the information
Is it good for UV setting as well? The article I mentioned had some detailed decription of TF and their manuver of battle of the coral sea. I expecte this book has much deeper description?
Lopo

Post by Lopo »

Bostonrpgmania,

"Eagle against the Sun" [font=arial]gives a nice discussion of many of the small controversies which appear during the War in the Pacific... I repeat; it is an excellent book for who wants to understand all in all this period...[/font]
[font=arial]If you are looking for a book about CV's maneuvers in the area of UV, I advice you next titles:[/font]
[font=arial]"Battle of the Coral Sea" by Chris Henry,[/font]
[font=arial]"Carrier Clash. The invasion of Guadalcanal & the Battle of the Eastern Solomons. August 1942" and "Carrier Strike. The Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands. October 1942", both by Eric Hammel.[/font]
[font=arial]Enjoy reading![/font]
[font=arial][/font] 
[font=arial]Take care[/font]
Aperite Infernos
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

To avoid potential frustration make sure you completely understand what the patrol/retire settings do on the tf display.
bostonrpgmania

Post by bostonrpgmania »

Small AAR of Scenario 1

Finally after many years, I finished my first game of UV--first scenario
I was US. Difficulty--Historical
Result: Japanese' marginal *******

*******=victory. So I lost.

But it was fun. I lost Buna and Gli Gli but was able to inflict serious damages to IJN.
At earlier turns, point gap was as high as 500 but in the end I shrank it to 200 (due to many help from this forum)

I think for a longer scenario, this game seems a lot about preparation (of war) and then implementation of the plan. Much more so than decisive battles series

bostonrpgmania

Post by bostonrpgmania »

My second game AAR --scenario 1

I tackled the same scenario tonight
The result was draw
My point was 1890
Jap's point 1842

My Yorktown sunk by torpedo
but
Shokaku was sunk by airraid 1000lb bomb

i stationed my air combat taskforce south of Gligli but around turn 13, York Town was sunk
I transfered a lot of air craft to port moresy and this worked well for this game

I think now I understand the surface of the game mechanics
I dont know how many game I have to play to feel comfortable about the game play

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”