Standardized Artwork Set

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Cathartes

RE: Gray vs Camo

Post by Cathartes »

Camo or no camo, the point is really mute. We can have 2,3,4 or more official versions with the Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler. Why not just have a base ship art set that is gray, and then another that has later years' camo art? Have a consistent background for all, and make the switch with JSGME to please your preference. No data switch here, just art. Everyone gets their favorite flavor, everyone happy.

Someone asked about my art earlier in the thread. I'm open to contributing, but I'm going to complete a stock set of aircraft that represent different stages throughout the war to use with JSGME. If I have the energy, I'll then do a CHS set. For me the different art adds tremendously to historical accuracy, variety, and atmosphere.

Allied plane tops are about 2/3 finished. Here's a cropped piece of an art file over 2600 pixels long. Each plane top has a matching side. I'm insane, and don't know if I'll ever finish.

Attachments
tops.jpg
tops.jpg (27.52 KiB) Viewed 260 times
CobraAus

Post by CobraAus »

just throwing in a couple of ideas here
I had started a similar project for RHS about 2 weeks before this thread stated
reworking the air panels
resetting the art so air slots matched bitmaps (eg slot 77 = bitmap 77 etc) + realigning
all the tops and alpha in doing that I created an overlay tool to work in with a 60x37x75 grid - the 37 being the center line for each top and the overlay having each block numbered
so you can see placement (see sample below) as each of you use differant art packages its not hard to set up and helps a lot
For ships I was also thinking of setting up what I call a carving block
a panel that would hold 100 ship sides/shils also with a numbered overlay - (have not work out how many panels yet)so that instead of working with individual panels until ready to carve out a full set, place all the ship art on to the panels - this would also help in scale and ID missing art, as you would see all ship together for comparison- then when all ships are done carve out a complete set and rename

hope I made some scense here

Cobra Aus

Attachments
layoutsample1.jpg
layoutsample1.jpg (95.5 KiB) Viewed 125 times
Coral Sea Battle = My Birthday
JWE

Post by JWE »

Howdy,

Workin on the JP subs; using 1 meter per pixel in order to get detail. Very sucky jpg below of a Type A1/A2. Does anyone have a picture of a 1-AM (I-14 was representative, I believe)?

Attachments
A1Sub.jpg
A1Sub.jpg (4.17 KiB) Viewed 121 times
JWE

Post by JWE »

BTW, since I am painting vanilla, does the community prefer Maizuru gray (kinda blue) for JP subs?? Sample below, compare with post above (still sucky jpg)

Still looking for pic of type 1AM

JWE

Attachments
A1Subv2.jpg
A1Subv2.jpg (4.1 KiB) Viewed 119 times
Big B

Post by Big B »

Considering the background we are using I like the latter - stands out better (and will on any background)

B
JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: Big B

Considering the background we are using I like the latter - stands out better (and will on any background)

B

Yeah, me too.

ok then, here's the JP subs in Miazuru. Comments welcome. Still looking for a pic of the type 1AM.

Attachments
A1Subv2.jpg
A1Subv2.jpg (32.65 KiB) Viewed 122 times
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

How are these? Some Royal Navy stuff in mostly gray. The stock art numbers are on top, if CHS is different then thay are listed beneath the stock

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (91.06 KiB) Viewed 125 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
JWE

Post by JWE »

Looking good Dixie. Can you replicate those in hazegray, at 4 feet to the pixel? It seems that is the scale Mike Wood and Don are looking for, at least for warships and aux at and over (way approx) 350' loa. Shoot me a pm if you can do that. Are you familiar with parabolic scaling, or Hx/Lx? If not, no worries; if so I gotta project for you.

JWE
TOMLABEL

Post by TOMLABEL »

I've been watching this thread with great interest and mostly agree with the aspects of scaling art to a certain degree before losing detail. The idea of using the Jonessoft Generic Mod Enabler is by far the best idea to cater to the needs of folks like me who do like the different paint schemes used during the war. I am currently using this utility with Cathartes plane sides and really enjoy the ease of switching between artwork panels. As JWE mentioned, this mod would also be useful in creating subfolders for the different paint schemes of ships used during various time periods of the war. Likewise, the mod could also be used (to some degree) for ship upgrades as well; however, it will be hard for me to completely break away from using a new slot for this. For example, you could have a class of ship that has a noticable structural upgrade in a particular month/year. But, as we know, the actual time the upgrade takes place is dependent on each individual ship in that class depending on when/where the ship docks for the upgrade as well as ship damage levels. Each ship in that particular class could upgrade at different times. I guess this would be up to the users as to what level of accuracy they wish to achieve.

I do also agree with standardized backgrounds for ship sides, but I think it would also be beneficial if each nationality had its own separate backdrop, ie. US, AUS, RN, etc.

On the subject of standardized non-camo colors for ships, I would like to suggest that instead of gray, that a blue color be used - at least for the US Navy. I'm not too well versed on ship color schemes of the other allied navies. US Navy ships were never painted solid gray for any decernable time period during the war. On average, all USN capital ships spent most of their wartime career painted in 5N - Navy Blue. There are few exceptions to this, but I believe this color would be more representative that the color of gray.

Otherwise, I think a standard air side set and ship set (including optional sets for camoflage and upgrades) is a great idea and I'm looking forward to seeing the results of everyone involved.

Count me in as well!

Attachments
Blue.jpg
Blue.jpg (28.85 KiB) Viewed 128 times
Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln
TheElf

Post by TheElf »

I think the Gray vs. Camo problem is relatively easy to resolve. I'm not a ship guy but I do use Photoshop. And I have tried the odd ship art. In photo shop you could have one guy, JWE for example create the Base ship in Haze or Maizuru gray and save the file to his own hard drive. This would be set A.

Next JWE emails that ship to Dixie, Cathartes, or any of the camo experts. Assuming they have Photoshop they just open up the ship and create a new layer..."Camolayer42'" or "Western Approacheslayer" etc.
This would be Set B

Similarly JWE emails the "vanillalLayer" to Big B or someone else who adds a "44'Dazzle Layer" instead of the "Camolayer42" that Dixie or Cathartes puts on. The result????

JWE and Don get there geriatric friendly vanilla ships, Dixie getsd his Camo, Carthares gets his soft touch, Cobra gets his unique Lego-look, yadda yadda....

If you approach like an assembly line all the ship will look the same, ride at the same height in the water and you could pick and choose what set you wanted to use based on the date....and it would cut down on the work load for everyone.

Thoughts?
IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

TOMLABEL

Post by TOMLABEL »

ORIGINAL: TheElf

I think the Gray vs. Camo problem is relatively easy to resolve. I'm not a ship guy but I do use Photoshop. And I have tried the odd ship art. In photo shop you could have one guy, JWE for example create the Base ship in Haze or Maizuru gray and save the file to his own hard drive. This would be set A.

Next JWE emails that ship to Dixie, Cathartes, or any of the camo experts. Assuming they have Photoshop they just open up the ship and create a new layer..."Camolayer42'" or "Western Approacheslayer" etc.
This would be Set B

Similarly JWE emails the "vanillalLayer" to Big B or someone else who adds a "44'Dazzle Layer" instead of the "Camolayer42" that Dixie or Cathartes puts on. The result????

JWE and Don get there geriatric friendly vanilla ships, Dixie getsd his Camo, Carthares gets his soft touch, Cobra gets his unique Lego-look, yadda yadda....

If you approach like an assembly line all the ship will look the same, ride at the same height in the water and you could pick and choose what set you wanted to use based on the date....and it would cut down on the work load for everyone.

Thoughts?

I like it. Good idea. I use Paint Shop Pro to get the same colors for each bitmap.

TOMLABEL
Art by the Rogue-USMC

JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL

ORIGINAL: TheElf

This would be Set B

Thoughts?

I like it. Good idea. I use Paint Shop Pro to get the same colors for each bitmap.

TOMLABEL

Crikey, I like it too. Welcome aboard the boff ya. I have email & will travel.

JWE
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

Digging the ships and subs! 

Like the ship idea, but sans my involvement.  Others excel beyond what I could do, and I'm an ignoramus on naval colors and camouflage, and what ships looked like what after their specific overhaul. 

It would be cool to see the old US BBs that survive Pearl get their sporting new superstructure line and goodies after their refits.

Halsey

RE: Standardized Artwork Set

Post by Halsey »

Someone needs to make this a comprehensive set of files for the Japanese and Allies.
Don't just throw a lot of ship graphics out with no corresponding bitmaps.
As I already see starting to happen.[;)]
Backs and Shil Folders should be completed for both sides.

Sub shils need bottom hull graphics.

You need stock and CHS versions.

And no, I'm not volunteering.
I'm already doing a non-standardized size set of files for CHS.
It's taken months of constant upgrading.
Someone younger, with more time on their hands should do it.[;)]
Big B

Post by Big B »

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL...
Count me in as well!
I am so glad you stood up! I thought I would have to say someting to get you to step up to the plate![:D]
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: JWE

B

Yeah, me too.

ok then, here's the JP subs in Miazuru. Comments welcome. Still looking for a pic of the type 1AM.

Love the subs JWE!! You really do have a talent for minute detail!! [&o][&o][&o]
TOMLABEL

Post by TOMLABEL »

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL...
Count me in as well!
I am so glad you stood up! I thought I would have to say someting to get you to step up to the plate![:D]

Glad you were thinking about me [:D][:D]
Art by the Rogue-USMC

Akos Gergely

Post by Akos Gergely »

JWE, with all due respect I think Dixie's ships are already to scale and IMHO it would be a shame to loose all the detail on them buy just simply greying them out.

Also I think these photo-imaged details offer way much more detail then do hand drawn ones (just compare your subs with the ones on Fremen's site), so I think we should consider going this way as well, or betetr yet if you still want vanilla ships then dumb down these with photoshop). And please note that this is not to say that I do not like your art! I would be struggling to make such. Formerly I used Big Bs very nice ships, but I think even them are lacking in detail accuracy to for example Dixie's ones. Hand drawns ones are simply a bit pixellated and "toy like" - this is due to the technology. Let me add again please that this is not meant as a negative comment! I really appreciate thise art sets.

Standardization is OK, but why not use then a generic backdrop? Also different ships even in the same navy bore different camos. So to be honest I'd hate to have grey ships when one can have for example Cathartes' fine, differently coloured but still same style plane sides. And please don't tell me that your eyes can differentiate between those planes, but not among the coloured ships...
kokubokan25

Post by kokubokan25 »

I read with many attention the above replys. It's obvious the gray/camo is a personal preference. Matrix and moderators prefer gray, me and others prefer camo. I spent many months (as many people knows) making a complete stock ship side art and, sincerely, it's so much to me start again making a HUGE number of bmp all in gray mode. Moreover when now the community have many art modders with fine work (more better than mine) like JWE, TOMLABEL, Dixie, BigB, and others.
The people knows the real time work is needed to re-done the stock to only one modder? I'm know, very sure.

A question: would be more easy pick a modder style, like JWE (with scaled ships), to coordinate the huge work, and let him choose other companions to help making some ship packs??? I mean, one make battleships, other carriers, etc..
I think my japanese carriers are best than others (sorry[8D]), however it's not true to other ship classes.

Besides, i dont use the Photoshop, i make my work over big scans previously cleaned without any camo and painting over that drawing. I cannot work propely over material make by other modders like TheElf say.

Akos Gergely

Post by Akos Gergely »

Fremen your japanese BBs are quite good as well ;-)

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”