Some questions

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, harley, warshipbuilder, simovitch

greg_slith

Some questions

Post by greg_slith »

While waiting for the new and improved version to be released I've fired up my old copy and have a number of questions:

1) How do I use the Fighter Sweeps? Mine seem to just fly to the target and come home. What am I missing?

2) Is there any way to know when a ground attack will occur and against what enemy unit? Does bombing the beejezus out of, say the HGPz Div really help? I've seen "attack vs 16th Pz successful" or something like that. What does this mean, if anything? This leads me to:

3) What is the deal with the Avalanche part of the Long Campaign? I've hit every target on the list and I'm still restricted to those targets. It is Dec 3, 43 in my game and I want to hit some stratigic targets.

Thanks in advance for your help and for revamping this game![:)] The screenies look great[&o] especially the unit screens

Hard Sarge

RE: Some questions

Post by Hard Sarge »

Howdy

1. well, that is the Sweep as it was in the old game, it flys out, hits it target point and then returns

in new verison it will also work as a simi patrol (right now, it still not working as I want it to, it does not look like the unit is burning Gas the way it should, but it will shortly)

also a neat Trick from Harley, he has set the Sweep so it can "sweep" one point and then move to a 2nd point for the patrol

it can be used to hit Airfields, which can be dangerous, but it can also be used to Sweep behind or in front of Bomb Raids

in the old game, watch out in the MED, the sweep can kick in what was called the Dover Bug, when a sweep hits the target point, it would turn and head for Dover, so in the Med you want to use short range planes as your sweepers (bug has been corrected)

2. No, that is with in the game, and a old, old wish list thing, and Yes, bombing a Troop can help with a Ground attack, which if the damage is enough and the ground attack also hits right, it can shove the Troop out of the battle line

the hassle is, with the single  battle line, there will always be a unit to move in and takes its place in line

in France, on D-Day, the game is set up with a Double Line, I was able one time to break the first line on the first day of the landings, and get two of them out of place, and then with a lot of work, I was able to break the 2nd line (did it a couple of times, but always a unit to fill in) finally, broke the line, and had most of the replacement units toar up enough, that they were not able to fill the line, and the line broke, I won the Game as the Allies in AUG of 44

which, while saying it can be done, I would not say to try it, I got lucky on the landing, and was able to go for it, to see if it could be done (since nobody back then knew or not)

3. again, that is a bug in the old game, not all the targets for Avalanche and Overlord were being counted, so the game always seen it as being needed to be hit, that has been corrected

and, Thanks

greg_slith

Post by greg_slith »

Howdy right back atcha[:D]

Does bombing the line have any effect?
Silly wish list item: I'd like to see allied ground forces. I don't want control over them (yes I do[:'(]) but it would be neat to see my forces advance.
Will I be able to list/sort my air units by kills?
On the air unit screen that was posted the other day I noticed that there seemed to be optional armaments (i.e. rockets) that the LW player could choose from. Has this always been the case/ is it a new feature/ does it apply to the allies as well?

Thanks again for the quick replies.
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Howdy again

yes it does (bombing the line) it kills things that the troops have and need, (Inf, Tanks, Arty) which are also being built and used up, it also lowers the desp (?) of the unit, making it easier for it to get knocked out of line, which also kills off stuff it needs, and forces it to get more from the stocks

sort of, if you hit enough of the right targets (very HARD to do, as you don't really know which builds what) and drain off the stocks, once the real ground attacks begin, they will be weaker

to be honest, I would too, but right now, it is out of our scope, it was not really in the engine to start with, and really don't think we will be able to try and add it in

with in reason, if you in the say, P-47D 6 screen, all the units with that plane, can be sorted by kills, but if you asking if every unit in your airforce, then no

Depending on the plane type, they may have different weapon load outs, most GE models can carry Rockets, and most will have a 2ndary weapon load out

which saying, a BF 109 G6 may have this stat, but you change to the BF 109 G6/R6 you get more guns, but lower stats

with in reason, some of this was in the old game, but it has been reworked and much improved

for the Allies, the load out changes with be more bombs or drop tanks, as we wanted to keep the stats the same

(we working, thinking on trying to have different bomb loads for some of the bombers, but not in yet)

so, say for the IXth AF P-47s, you can load the fighters with Bombs, and use them for bombing missions, while the P-47s with the VIIIth will be loaded with Drop tanks (based on unit)

one hassle with this though, is drop tanks upgrade over time, if you change back and forth, and forth and back, you go back to the starting drop tank again, and it will need to upgrade over time again (but it shouldn't be too much of a hassle)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”