Riverine movement to fast

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Zweihorn

Riverine movement to fast

Post by Zweihorn »

The following movement rates are given in the manual:

Riverine Equipment: This equipment uses the Riverine Movement
rate (2400 kilometers per week), and can only move along
Rivers and through Shallow Water and Flooded Marsh terrain.
- Motor Equipment: The equipment uses the Motorized Movement
rate (560 kilometers per week).
- Slow Motor Equipment: The equipment uses the Slow Motorized
Movement rate (350 kilometers per week).
- Fast Motor Equipment: The equipment uses the Fast Motorized
Movement rate (660 kilometers per week).
- Horse Equipment: The equipment uses the Horse (with wagons
and other transports) Movement Rate (340 kilometers per
week).
- Fast Horse Equipment: The equipment uses the Fast Horse (Cavalry)
Movement rate (400 kilometers per week).
- Rail Move Equipment: The equipment always moves by Rail
Movement (4200 kilometers per week). It does this without using
Rail Transport capacity, and can only move by rail.
- Slow Equipment: The equipment uses the Foot Movement rate
(280 kilometers per week

2400 km appears to be very fast. compared to Motor equipment.
Perhaps a 0 to much ???
JAMiAM

RE: Riverine movement to fast

Post by JAMiAM »

Hi,

This is not a support question, but rather a scenario design issue. Moving it to the proper forum...
golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

It's a moot point. Riverine units don't really work in TOAW.
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

Hi,

This is not a support question, but rather a scenario design issue.

Huh? I'm not sure there is a way for to designers to make riverine units work well.
Boonierat

Post by Boonierat »

I'm confronted to the problem of Riverine movement in my Vietnam series, Riverine units are way to fast and powerfull and I'm not sure how to deal with them. Would be an idea to increase the cost of moving along enemy-controlled rivers and canals, and the equipement editor might be the solution in a near future.
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: Chuck2
Huh? I'm not sure there is a way for to designers to make riverine units work well.
Well, other than stuffing a riverine unit with ferry squads and using it as a geographically restricted ferry unit, I've not seen too many compelling uses of the units, myself. I won't deny that they are one of the less well thought out features of TOAW. However, they are working as designed (regardless of how poor that design may be), and thus the thread is not one for the Support Forum, but rather the "WTF do I do with these" Forum...err...I mean the Scenario Design Forum...[;)]

Or, the Main Forum, under one of the wish list threads...
Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

Well, other than stuffing a riverine unit with ferry squads and using it as a geographically restricted ferry unit, I've not seen too many compelling uses of the units, myself. I won't deny that they are one of the less well thought out features of TOAW. However, they are working as designed (regardless of how poor that design may be), and thus the thread is not one for the Support Forum, but rather the "WTF do I do with these" Forum...err...I mean the Scenario Design Forum...[;)]

Urggh... you have a tendancy to do this! [:D] [:)] [:-]
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

What? Shunt issues off to the clever folks in Scenario Design to come up with innovative and brilliant solutions? It's only because I know you all are so damned good at it...[:)][&o]
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Zweihorn
Perhaps a 0 to much ???

14km/hour. Seems doable, unless there's something I'm missing.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Perhaps a 0 to much ???

But compare to motorized equipment as Zweihorn stated earlier. Can't really see the logic of making riverine boats 4 or 5 times faster than trucks.
Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

What? Shunt issues off to the clever folks in Scenario Design to come up with innovative and brilliant solutions? It's only because I know you all are so damned good at it...[:)][&o]

Good answer.. [;)] [:'(] [&o]
Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

ORIGINAL: Boonierat

I'm confronted to the problem of Riverine movement in my Vietnam series, Riverine units are way to fast and powerfull and I'm not sure how to deal with them. Would be an idea to increase the cost of moving along enemy-controlled rivers and canals, and the equipement editor might be the solution in a near future.

Hmm. Not really sure what you should do. Riverine units tend to push things out of the way much too easily. Maybe try putting passive or otherwise weak equipment into the riverine units along with the boats.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Perhaps a 0 to much ???

But compare to motorized equipment as Zweihorn stated earlier. Can't really see the logic of making riverine boats 4 or 5 times faster than trucks.

Well, a motorized unit can't run 24 hours/day, unlike a marine vessel. And if my suggestion about 1/2 MP cost for motorized units moving down an improved road were implemented, then truck-borne units could move 1320km/week - 55% of the riverine movement rate.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

Well, a motorized unit can't run 24 hours/day, unlike a marine vessel.

I would imagine most boats like the "swift boats" of Vietnam had short ranges and couldn't operate 24 hours per day. These shouldn't have the same movement rates as destroyers or cruisers, for example. They should operate more like fast cavalry that only uses rivers or flooded marsh.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

IMO Naval shoulp "operate" much like air - ie units are based at a location, and can be used to attack various locations within a range.

the range would depend upon the time scale - if you're doing 2.5 days/move tehn yuo get 5 times teh range for teh same unit as it would get using 0.5 day moves.
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

Well, they tend to be able to spend more time moving. A river boat needs to refuel less often and can just switch pilots. A tank has to stop so the crew can eat and sleep.

Four times would be a bit much, though.

EDIT: Damn you Bob...
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
a white rabbit

Post by a white rabbit »

Perhaps a 0 to much ???

..yahh right, bloody things zoom up rivers like they're on amphetamines..
..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

I would imagine most boats like the "swift boats" of Vietnam had short ranges and couldn't operate 24 hours per day. These shouldn't have the same movement rates as destroyers or cruisers, for example. They should operate more like fast cavalry that only uses rivers or flooded marsh.

They don't have the same movement rate as destroyers or cruisers. Those move at 4200km/week. What's your basis for the claim that they couldn't operate 24hrs/day? And would that apply to any river-moving vessel, not just the case of swift boats?
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

They don't have the same movement rate as destroyers or cruisers. Those move at 4200km/week. What's your basis for the claim that they couldn't operate 24hrs/day? And would that apply to any river-moving vessel, not just the case of swift boats?

The basis of the ships not operating 24hrs/day is mainly the need to refuel. According to the link below the swift boat only had the ability to go on a 600-800 kilometer patrol with a top speed of 20 to 25 knots . What that means operationally I'm not sure... but if you play a Vietnam scenario you can see the boats exploring half the rivers in Vietnam in a single turn. River boats have the ability to RBC much larger units out of the way and only pay 1 mp regardless of who controls the territory... all and all river boats are too powerful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Patrol_Craft

If you want to discuss other river boats, please bring up some examples. For large rivers that can carry ocean-going ships, it might be better to make the river a deep water hex.
Dabbs

Post by Dabbs »

Might be better to use the Amphibious Transport icon with some variety of amphibious ferry or LC's,  adding appropriate weapons.  They will be able to travel *much shorter* distances along rivers and flooded marshes. 

Riverines also tend to stand up to air attacks better than most naval vessels in my experience; IIRC - flooded marshes cost at least 2 MP for a riverine unit.

Return to “Scenario Design”