suggestions for the AWD upgrade

Gary Grigsby’s World at War is back with a whole new set of features. World at War: A World Divided still gives complete control over the production, research and military strategy for your side, but in this new updated version you’ll also be able to bring spies into the mix as well as neutral country diplomacy, variable political events and much more. Perhaps the largest item is the ability to play a special Soviet vs. Allies scenario that occurs after the end of World War II.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

kondor

suggestions for the AWD upgrade

Post by kondor »

I have one!
When I build units (put them on factory line), lot of time I have to go forces screen (where is displayed the number of my troops on the ground/factory). So that I do not mess up my research stats (/5 rule), and then calculate how many unit of that type I can build...
And again return to the build screen and put them on the produciton track.

My suggestion is: Guys, pleaseeeeeee put the number of units below the icon of that unit IN THE PRODUCTION SCREEN, just one little square (number of the total units of that kind in the field/in produciton). It will speed things up IMO.

ps. I couldn´t find thread with suggestions, so if there already is on, mod please move this post there.
Thx!
MrLongleg

RE: suggestions for the AWD upgrade

Post by MrLongleg »

Very good proposal - I vote for it..
MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)
christian brown

Post by christian brown »

Wow guys, there are (there really are) other things that go directly to gameplay (e.g. forced aircraft rebasing, the missing dummy combat analyzer, the inability to undo repairs, the inability to attempt a TA in the production phase....and so on.)  I cannot see the utility of this when all you need do is switch to the forces screen (takes about 5 seconds!)
"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson
coralsaw

Post by coralsaw »

Christian is right of course, but I'd like to second the proposal. Any 5 seconds saved in doing mundane tasks, is a good thing. Image
A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. - Napoleon Bonaparte, 15 July 1815, to the captain of HMS Bellerophon.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Sometimes it's a lot easier to do 20 small items that improve the game marginally than it does to do one item that might improve it a lot. I wanted to point that out. Programming time is always a scarce and precious resource. At the moment we are taking a break from AWD to see what develops. However WH is working on making some things more moddable and down the road we'll probably sneak some time to make a few improvements.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
GKar

Post by GKar »

As for small suggestions, I'd like to repeat this one here: [:)]
ORIGINAL: GKar

Would it be possible to allow to build supplies and research points while "All production" and "Production for [country]" is selected?

Often I don't really care where they are produced exactly ("UK" or "Italy" is enough), or I simply want to use all remaining production points in a given area to produce research or supplies. Allowing it directly when the production "title" is active would speed up things and should be pretty straightforward to change. Thanks for considering!
kondor

Post by kondor »

ORIGINAL: christian brown

Wow guys, there are (there really are) other things that go directly to gameplay (e.g. forced aircraft rebasing, the missing dummy combat analyzer, the inability to undo repairs, the inability to attempt a TA in the production phase....and so on.) I cannot see the utility of this when all you need do is switch to the forces screen (takes about 5 seconds!)

Very well, you got a point there... There is a lot of things that could be done... I am not saying that mine suggestion si CRUCIAL! Only one thing that could make this great game even greater[;)].
And I know it is a long shot, as Joel said progammers are expensive[:)], but hey! maybe one day some of these suggestions make it to the game...[;)]
If we all wright down what is missing, maybe some future upg, or AWD 2 will be better for it...
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

It's all a matter of priorities, and keeping in mind that in addition to time any changes entail some risk, i.e. bugs may slip in.

I think little things that cost the player 5 seconds per turn can probably be discarded. I mean, the programming, debugging, and verification time probably exceeds the accumulated time saved over all these players.

And while I also flip to the units screen all the time during production for this exact reason, I don't really mind.

As for small suggestions, I'd like to repeat this one here: [:)]

Would it be possible to allow to build supplies and research points while "All production" and "Production for [country]" is selected?

Often I don't really care where they are produced exactly ("UK" or "Italy" is enough), or I simply want to use all remaining production points in a given area to produce research or supplies. Allowing it directly when the production "title" is active would speed up things and should be pretty straightforward to change. Thanks for considering!

It seems to me that you can already do this.

Go to the research screen, allocate your research. Go back to the production screen, hit the use all remaining production for supplies button.

Or are you saying that you want to be able to specify the nation without specifying the region?

What I've always wanted is the ability to undo research and have the production point returned to a specific nation. E.g., I realize I need 1 more supply build somewhere, but the production is already taken by research. I have to undo 8 research points to recover my production in one specific region. But I don't see an easy way to implement this that really appears worth the time and effort.

And have you ever noticed that population doesn't move around optimally to ensure it is preserved? I always thought that as long as I had 10 pops left as Germany, they would be saved. Turns out that is incorrect. If all 10 pops happen to be left in Austria, for an extreme and odd example, only 1 will be saved.

I just figured this out recently (in my current games), and I've figured out how to force the population to move to the regions where I want it so that I am assured that it will be stored. But this is rather cumbersome and esoteric, it would be nice to have it automated.
christian brown

Post by christian brown »

've figured out how to force the population to move to the regions where I want it so that I am assured that it will be stored.

How?  Care to explain.....?
"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

've figured out how to force the population to move to the regions where I want it so that I am assured that it will be stored.
How?  Care to explain.....?

Start militia in the region you want the pop to move to, then cancel the militia.

Just enough pop moves to the region to build the new units that would complete this turn. But when you cancel the units, the pop doesn't move back.

To me, this is an example of the kind of improvements we should be interested in. It is _possible_ for the human to specify _more_ detail, but it is tedious and the computer could automate it for us because it is _obvious_ what the computer should do (i.e. preserve population).

And it gives the detail oriented observant individual a slight advantage that really shouldn't exist. I consider myself quite detail oriented in this game, and it took me 2 years to figure this out.

I don't see much motivation to allow for the human to specify _less_ detail in cases wehere it is _nonobvious_ how the computer should implement it, e.g. building units, supply, research.
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

Wow guys, there are (there really are) other things that go directly to gameplay (e.g. forced aircraft rebasing, the missing dummy combat analyzer, the inability to undo repairs, the inability to attempt a TA in the production phase....and so on.)  I cannot see the utility of this when all you need do is switch to the forces screen (takes about 5 seconds!)

The funny thing is that except possibly for the forced rebasing none of the items you mention here are even remotely important to me - which only goes to show that opinions differ depending on style of play so one persons huge issue is basically irrelevant to others.
GKar

Post by GKar »

ORIGINAL: WanderingHead

Or are you saying that you want to be able to specify the nation without specifying the region?
Yes, basically it's a "build supplies" and "build research" functionality for nations. You wouldn't need extra buttons for it, just activate the build buttons for supplies and research when "Production for [country]" is selected. The actual place of production could be chosen randomly.

Post by Avatar47 »

Actually Jan, I would like to see the undoing of repairs. It's very frustrating, a mis-click, especially when Russia does it Su39 and repairs the Baltics instead of East Poland....
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

As I said - its of no importance to me personally. I think I repaired the wrong piece once or twice in all of my games - not that I cannot see how it could be an issue if its something you do more often.
coralsaw

Post by coralsaw »

And it gives the detail oriented observant individual a slight advantage that really shouldn't exist. I consider myself quite detail oriented in this game, and it took me 2 years to figure this out.

With respect, isn't this just exploitation of a bug in the system? If a rule or option is not in the rulebook, then it definitely shouldn't be part of the game.

IMO, better players are better because they devise better strategies and implement better tactics, not because they find out ways to bend the rules. To each one their own though.. [:)]

/coralsaw
A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. - Napoleon Bonaparte, 15 July 1815, to the captain of HMS Bellerophon.
GKar

Post by GKar »

ORIGINAL: coralsaw

With respect, isn't this just exploitation of a bug in the system? If a rule or option is not in the rulebook, then it definitely shouldn't be part of the game.
I agree.
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

ORIGINAL: coralsaw

IMO, better players are better because they devise better strategies and implement better tactics, not because they find out ways to bend the rules. To each one their own though.. [:)]

/coralsaw

I don't at all think it is exploiting a bug in the system. Describe what the bug is?

Even if you think that the bug is that the computer doesn't move it for you, then I am not "exploiting" the bug, I am manually correcting for the bug. It should happen automatically, it does not, so I do it manually.

Ultimately my point is probably the same as your feeling. I don't think that the player should have to do this, or be rewarded for doing it. The game should do it for you. If the pop report in the production screen says you'll have 10 left, and you have 10 pop centers, they should be spread so as to be preserved.
GKar

Post by GKar »

I don't think he wanted to blame you for anything. (I didn't in any case.)

But he's correct that the heart of this little workaround is a bug.
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

I don't think he wanted to blame you for anything. (I didn't in any case.)

But he's correct that the heart of this little workaround is a bug.

But again, what is the bug?

Is the agreement that the computer should move the pop for you, in order to maximally preserve it?

Until last week, that is exactly what I thought it did.
GKar

Post by GKar »

The bug is - if I got that right - that population points (can) get lost although they shouldn't, judging from the impression you get when reading the manual.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided”