BC Place Stadium Roof Collapses

A forum for discussion of real world football leagues, teams, players, and coaches.

Moderator: David Winter

David Winter

BC Place Stadium Roof Collapses

Post by David Winter »

The inflateable roof that covers BC Place stadium (home of he BC Lions) collapsed today.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2007 ... 39-cp.html

It was empty so nobody was hurt, but I can't imagine the panic if 50k people where in it...
"They're not dolls. They're action figures. Valuable Action figures!"
jrodsly

RE: BC Place Stadium Roof Collapses

Post by jrodsly »

wow.
Back from the dead, I'm here to make ammends with the people I've ticked off and the people that were nice enough to make stuff I requested.
dreamtheatervt

Post by dreamtheatervt »

want to see large scale panic?  For a calmer panic look to the 89 World Series, the game when there was an earthquake before the game.

For massive panic, and soccer match in England should do [:D]
DONMVP

Post by DONMVP »

Oh yea the 89 Quake , remember that well , was getting a tape out of my truck as it hit . Bounced my wheels at lease 6 inched up off the drive way. Sounded like a train coming down my block . Most erie thing ever heard . We were about 20 miles from frisco . But can imagine what that looked like coming down at BC .
DONMVP
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

My wife's aunt was at the World Series game.  People were afraid the upper decks would come down.
jrodsly

Post by jrodsly »

who came up with the idea for an inflatable roof?
Back from the dead, I'm here to make ammends with the people I've ticked off and the people that were nice enough to make stuff I requested.
dreamtheatervt

Post by dreamtheatervt »

Actually, they are actually somewhat common, the Carrier Dome at Syracuse U. comes to mind.  They are handy because the roof is made of a softer, less expensive material that is easier to fix and maintain over a traditional "hard shell" roof like the former King Dome, Astrodome, Super Dome, and Silver Dome.  The roof is "inflatable" because it is held up by air pressure, it's not a balloon like you are probably imagining.
jrodsly

Post by jrodsly »

ahhhh.
Brockleigh

Post by Brockleigh »

I remember a story about the BC Place Stadium being air-supported, from back in it's early days.

They post security guards by the exit doors for publiuc safety rather than to catch free-loaders. With the roof being air-supported and the dome pressurized, if a door was opened suddenly without another access being opened to provide equilibrium, the inside air would be violently expelled out of the stadium (think of untying the knot on a balloon) carrying any unfortunate soul who opened the door with it.

So this security guard stopped a guy who was about to open a door to step outside and have a smoke. She stopped him just before he hit the lever and said, "Sir, you can't open that door!"

"Why not?" he said.

Meaning the whole air-blasting-out-of-the-building thing, she said, "You'll get blown away."

Looking down at the guard's sidearm, the man said, "Wow, you guys are really serious about this, aren't you?"

True story, apparently.
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum.

David Winter

Post by David Winter »

Having been in that building many, many times, I can tell you that exiting it with a hat on can be an interesting experience. More than once my hat has been blown off and flung accross the plaza due to the wind from inside the dome.
"They're not dolls. They're action figures. Valuable Action figures!"
Great White

Post by Great White »

[font="courier new"]Brockleigh[/font][font="courier new"] and [/font][font="courier new"]David Winter[/font][font="courier new"],[/font]
[font="courier new"][/font] 
[font="courier new"]                           
[font=verdana]Having been in that building many, many times, I can tell you that exiting it with a hat on can be an interesting experience. More than once my hat has been blown off and flung accross the plaza due to the wind from inside the dome. With the roof being air-supported and the dome pressurized.
[/font] Wow[X(], talk about a sports' facility having coolness, uniqueness and character[:)]. [/font]
[font="courier new"]I wonder if they save on cooling costs, with
[font=verdana]air-supported and the dome pressurized
[font="courier new"]?[/font][/font][/font]
[font="courier new"]
[font=verdana]if a door was opened suddenly without another access being opened to provide equilibrium, the inside air would be violently expelled out of the stadium (think of untying the knot on a balloon) carrying any unfortunate soul who opened the door with it
 [/font]I do not believe that. Sounds too exaggrated and dangerous (to be approved) to be true. Plus, does not sound every customer friendly.
[/font]
Thank you. Not racist/favorite animal. Hate Madden/NCAA/Industry is behind. Past-coach/player/sports radio/referee, now-private: teacher/coach/owner-Great White's Sports Association-FootBall/Rugby/Lacrosse, planned-late ‘2010. Student/industry person? PM
Brockleigh

Post by Brockleigh »

It's honest to god true, GW. In fact, I've played indoor soccer in air-supported domes much the same as the principal by which the BC Place dome works.

The door to enter these soccer domes is a revolving door which works like an air-lock, so prevent this sudden loss of pressure and blow people out violently when they exit. In fact, when you walk through the revolving door onto the playing surface, your eardrums register the pressure change immediately. I've never been to Vancouver, but I would assume BC Place works in somewhat a similar fashion, but on a larger scale,

It's not at all exaggerated, and if maintained properly, not dangerous at all. I know you're in Florida, GW, and if you want to play outdoor sports in February... well it's 60°F instead of 85°F. I live in Southern Ontario, and if I wanna play an outdoor sport in February, it's 15°F and snowy, and you gotta find a way to play on a surface that doesn't involve spending millions of dollars on a structured dome. Air-supported domes fill that need rather admirably.

Great White

Post by Great White »

I know you're in Florida, GW, and if you want to play outdoor sports in February... well it's 60°F instead of 85°F. I live in Southern Ontario, and if I wanna play an outdoor sport in February, it's 15°F and snowy, and you gotta find a way to play on a surface that doesn't involve spending millions of dollars on a structured dome. Air-supported domes fill that need rather admirably.

[font="courier new"]I believe all that, just basic knowledge. Heck man, Denver, Colo. has their International Airport covered by retractable canvas dome (like the ancients' Entertainment felicities). Which  I would use, if I was build a huge building.I wonder why they did not go with Canvas?[/font]

Thank you. Not racist/favorite animal. Hate Madden/NCAA/Industry is behind. Past-coach/player/sports radio/referee, now-private: teacher/coach/owner-Great White's Sports Association-FootBall/Rugby/Lacrosse, planned-late ‘2010. Student/industry person? PM
Brockleigh

Post by Brockleigh »

Simple, GW. Canvas isn't air-tight.

garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

Im against Domes. I dont care if the team is located in Siberia...it's football, play in the elements.

I can tolerate Texas Stadium, they at least have a hole in the roof.
Great White

Post by Great White »

[font="courier new"]garysorrell[/font][font="courier new"],[/font]
[font="courier new"]               I am with you only when it comes to sunny days and the games (from Pop Warner to Professional) are played under downed Sports' falicities (containing any sport, except played on ice); however, when it is terrible whether outside, thus it is going to make the game terrible (have to run all the time, constant threats of turnovers and etc) I want the games under a roof of some kind. That is why I think the sports' falicities are those with retractable domes.[:)][/font]
[font="courier new"]The best of them being the one that The NFLEurope's Rhine Fire have. It has many retractable playing surfaces also, so they can grow their grass field outside while a skating surface has a hockey game going on.[X(][:)][/font]
Great White

Post by Great White »

[font="courier new"]Brockleigh[/font][font="courier new"],[/font]
[font="courier new"]              So, that still does not mean, it would result in such opposite force that would cause a man who opens a door to blow through the door. Plus, even if it did, no local government will allow such a structure be built.

Wait a sec., now I got what you are referring to (I think) it is air tight man. What do you think it is nice and sunny in Colorado, let alone Denver? It gets really windy in Denver. Buy the way, just to make sure you are not confused (like I am in the beginning of this post[:D]) I do not wonder why they used fabric/canvas to create a air suppoted dome; instead, Denver International Airport uses it like the plywood does for your house's roof. Ie. Ancient's entertainment falicities had he silimar roofing, just did not completely cover their entertainment falicities.[8|]
[/font]

Return to “The Red Zone!”