Tactical Battle modifiers and leader question

Hussar Games "For Liberty!" is a turn based game of the American Revolution and the Rakoczi Independence War. Command the armies of the newly born United States of America against Britain or the ill-equipped Hungarian rebels against mighty Austria. 1848 is a turn base game on the Hungarian rebellion against Austria in 1848-49.

Moderator: HussarGames

BigBog

Tactical Battle modifiers and leader question

Post by BigBog »

I want to first state that I am having a great time [:D] with this title...after playing for several days during vacation....
I am finally getting the hang of the larger campaigns and beginning to extract some revenge on the Brits after some early losses in the NE area. I am playing the campaign after the tutorial, focusing on Boston in late '75 and '76--finally realizing not to go looking for trouble too early with as the Americans. I used this forum to pick up a few hints about getting out of Dodge and moving away from Boston, playing a defensive game and even sea transported several of the units I built down south to take some of the NC and SC coastal towns.

Q1. I am wondering about the tactical combat modifiers---I don't see how the general's attributes translate to unit modifiers used in the tactical battles. The manual states that these modifiers are utilized when the unit is within the control zone of the commander, but I don't see any change in the experience (+5 for example, melee value increase etc, 30% firepower for infantry, etc...? Am I missing something, because it looks as if the units status window have small icon windows on the top for the commander's values (which is where I might expect to see the commanders influence on the unit displayed), but there are never anything in them...?

Q2. Can leaders be killed or WIA in battle? I have had events at the beginning of a turn that so-and-so general is out of commision for 10 weeks, or something like that, but has anyone ever have had a commander KIA or WIA as result of battle...?

Thanks for any help you can give me...!

Regards,
Bob
canuck64

RE: Tactical Battle modifiers and leader question

Post by canuck64 »

Rob,

I can confirm that leaders get wounded as a result of combat, it happened to my Colonials early on in the "get out of Dodge" run from the Boston area.

I too am having a blast with this game. I do wish your other query was answered by someone in the know. I can say that I'd like it if, as a result of battles fought, your ammo/supply level was decreased greatly on the strategic map, as I believe it should....

Otherwise, very compelling game. One other minor request, I think the terrain variety on the tac maps needs to be ...uh, augmented a bit
BigBog

Post by BigBog »

Canuck64,
Thanks for the reply---good to know that leaders can. I guess I've been lucky up till now [8|].

I agree about the tac map variety, would be nice to have some more varied terrain--and more elevations--more would be great. I also would like to see a description of the battlefield location (where on the strat map) that the battle is taking place--both for the tact map and the quick play battle resolution. Something like BOA has for example--where they say--"Battle near New York" or "Battle at Newport".....

I still am still puzzled about the tactical modifiers, especially whether those leader control zones are the important consideration---such that having a leader with these "special abilites", such as +30% firepower, IS really important for positioning of that leader and how you conduct the battle. Or---are the units originally attached to that leader (in the strategic area of the game during the creation and assigning the leader portion) the ones that get the benefit--regardless of where you move your special leader?

Hopefully one of the Hussar Games gurus can answer how these modifiers are handled....

Regards,
Bob

canuck64

Post by canuck64 »

rob
I suspect the latter(in that the units need to be within the radius of the relevant commander) to get the relevant bonus-interestingly, because, (since I at best glanced at the manual beforehand [:D]), I see that leaders also suffer from readiness draw-down as they move.

Truthfully, as I've had overlapping co's with different leadership modifiers, I've not really noticed. I did notice a slight increase in resilience (resistance) to casualties to units in a fort, once in radius of a CO with the "fort" modifier, than when they sat from without, so I suspect this more than the other.
By the same instance, I see units within the CO radius of a leader with movement ability have more movement points. I suspect this answers your query.

While this would hurt me more than help me, I tend to divvy up my commands quite a bit (not odd for me to have dozens of 500-1000 man units run by colonels)....I'd like to see the CO modifier tied to as well as somehow indicated as BELONGING to a particular leader, and thus unable to benefit from other leaders presence(maybe only those of equal rank-not from higher org leaders, ie. Brigadiers or full Generals)....

and a hearty yes to more terrain variety and indication of location of map...
BigBog

Post by BigBog »

<<I did notice a slight increase in resilience (resistance) to casualties to units in a fort, once in radius of a CO with the "fort" modifier, than when they sat from without, so I suspect this more than the other.
By the same instance, I see units within the CO radius of a leader with movement ability have more movement points. I suspect this answers your query.>>

Excellent Canuck! I had noticed the same this eve---now that I was paying closer attention to the situation--and by having only one leader attached I noticed the movement bonus, so it stands that the firepower bonus (and others) are actually there. But I still wish there was some call out on the units status window that made mention of the leader modifiers in effect at that moment. Also terrain modifiers in effect. Down in the lower picture of the terrain you could right click and pull up the melee and fire against effect, for example...just a thought. I guess I could pull out the pdf manual and print out that page, huh?![:D]

Interesting about your fort resilence---I'll have to switch out some of my leaders who are being harassed in forts to ones that have the fortress specialty...!

Cheers,
Rob
HussarGames

Post by HussarGames »

Leader bonuses are not displayed, they are taken into account when the unit fights. For all units only the base values are displayed.

Return to “For Liberty! & 1848”