how much damage would this ship suffer?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

fcam1387

how much damage would this ship suffer?

Post by fcam1387 »

I am playing pbem game as the Japs and a vicious, moderately sized naval battle erupted for control of the Aleutian(?) Islands. I managed to score 7-8, 250kg bomb hits on the Saratoga (all of which penetrated the deck and one caused an ammo explosion) would this be enough to incapacitate his CV thus preventing further air operations, if so - for how long? Is there also a chance the ship could sink from these hits if it was out at open sea for too long?

Any thoughts are welcome.
wild_Willie2

RE: how much damage would this ship suffer?

Post by wild_Willie2 »

There is ALWAYS a chance she will sink, but with allied damage controll ON, that chance is small.
Allied damage controll should be able to contain the flooding (should be relativly small as only bombs hit her.)
So she should live. I guess she will have arround 60 sys damage with some minor floatation damage.

I managed to hit entreprise with 15 250KG bombs once and she STILL did not sink. Bomb's damage ships but torps sink them. 
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

The ammo explosion might sink her.
Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
niceguy2005

Post by niceguy2005 »

IIRC a carrier is disabled is sys+fire damage exceed 50%. You should be well over that. There is virtually no chance that she will be operational. It's hard to tell if she will sink. My guess is that she is thoroughly wrecked. Even is she makes port you shouldn't have to worry about the Saratoga for a long while.
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
Bobthehatchit

Post by Bobthehatchit »

ORIGINAL: Sonny

The ammo explosion might sink her.

I concur.

Unless she really close to size three port, she probalby a gonna.

Although with FOW on you never can tell.
"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.

Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.

Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

There is ALWAYS a chance she will sink, but with allied damage controll ON, that chance is small.
Allied damage controll should be able to contain the flooding (should be relativly small as only bombs hit her.)
So she should live. I guess she will have arround 60 sys damage with some minor floatation damage.

I managed to hit entreprise with 15 250KG bombs once and she STILL did not sink. Bomb's damage ships but torps sink them.
I believe that I'm allied player in this case

wild_willie got it right... [;)]
Sara was 59 SYS damage, <20 float and 35 fire...I was able rescue her, when the ship reach port there was 67 SYS damage
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

I could start RANTING about "underpowered bombs" in WITP, but decided to let it rest [;)].
&nbsp;
seriously, decreasing bomb hits by 40-50 % and INCREASING bomb damage by 40-50 percent would give for a much more realistic game.
&nbsp;
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

I could start RANTING about "underpowered bombs" in WITP, but decided to let it rest [;)].

seriously, decreasing bomb hits by 40-50 % and INCREASING bomb damage by 40-50 percent would give for a much more realistic game.

but the same results in the end... [;)]

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”