“Churchill Confidential” - Declassified Wartime Cabinet Records

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

martxyz

“Churchill Confidential” - Declassified Wartime Cabinet Records

Post by martxyz »

On the BBC Radio 4 on Dec 26th (12.04 GMT), they had an hour-long programme based on the (recently declassified) notebooks of the secretary to the British wartime cabinet, Norman Brooks. The programme was called “Churchill Confidential”.
If anybody is interested in listening to it they can, for the next six days, using the BBC's "listen again" internet Radio Player (at this link)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainfram ... radio/aod/

Cabinet discussions are reported verbatim and are very (VERY) wide ranging. It was completely fascinating. Some of the things that needed to be thought about are amazing, and the moral dilemmas they faced come alive in the discussions. Almost any wartime subject you can imagine is present in these faithfully recorded notebooks. I highly recommend the programme to all. You only have 6 days before the BBC will remove the programme from the “Listen Again” list. But if you want to now how the war cabinet decided to respond to the reprisals that followed Heydrich’s assassination, or how they tried to balance the risks of the Murmansk convoys with the politics of dealing with Stalin, or how the issue of Ghandi’s hunger strike, or whether POW’s should be tackled, then get on the net now, and listen in. The issue of how to respond to reports of the mass killings of Jews was also discussed, and is a “must-hear” (alongside the commentary of Charles Wheeler, the respected BBC correspondent, who provides extra background).

I really recommend the programme, and there’s still time to hear it.

Martin
Colonel Warden

RE: “Churchill Confidential” - Declassified Wartime Cabinet Records

Post by Colonel Warden »

Thanks for the timely tip. Will listen to this now.

FYI, my alias, Colonel Warden, was used by Churchill when travelling incognito...

Andrew
martxyz

RE: “Churchill Confidential” - Declassified Wartime Cabinet Records

Post by martxyz »

ORIGINAL: Colonel Warden

Thanks for the timely tip. Will listen to this now.

Andrew

I feel sure that you'll find it a great programme. Let us all know what you think.

Cheers,

Martin [:)]

Return to “General Discussion”