New Campaign in work

This is the place for all questions related to modding Starshatter.
Dragonlead

New Campaign in work

Post by Dragonlead »

Just thought I would post a pic. This is a shot from a Tbolt launched from Nike Base. That would be on a planet's moon. Note the planet rising in the background.

V/R

Attachments
Nike Base 1.jpg
Nike Base 1.jpg (32.6 KiB) Viewed 338 times
USAF Ret.
Kuokkanen

RE: New Campaign in work

Post by Kuokkanen »

Is this going to be in Starshatter 6?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Dragonlead

Post by Dragonlead »

Not necessarily...this is all part of the new campaign I'm building. I'm adding not only new solar systems, but going back and adding areas to the existing systems.

V/R
USAF Ret.
Adonnay

Post by Adonnay »

If I had the time I would jump in there and help making a new campaign since this would also allow me to implement my two own fleets, but unfortunately I don't have it right now. So I'm looking forward to your campaign DL ;)
Dragonlead

Post by Dragonlead »

Appreciate the interest. However, it is my intention to keep everything stock so that anyone can play it. However, given the release of the starmod program, including your own designs after I'm done won't be difficult.

V/R
USAF Ret.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Dragonlead

Appreciate the interest. However, it is my intention to keep everything stock so that anyone can play it.
Mind telling what anyone means? Starshatter version compatibility that is.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Dragonlead

Post by Dragonlead »

I'm building this in 5.0.1, however, movies and such are beyond my skills. Given that the campaign building structure is virtually unchanged from 4.5 to 5.0.1, I have to think it would work in both versions. I also see no reason why changes I'm making to the galaxy wouldn't be acceptable to 4.5 either. The only problem I can see would be the fact that 5.0.1 has new ships/fighters that are not there in 4.5. I can see this causing problems in mission generation, but I haven't progressed to that point yet.

The main point behind that statement was that noone would have to have non-stock ships and/or weapons and would be able to play it "straight-out-of-the-box".

V/R
USAF Ret.
Zanthras

Post by Zanthras »

DL,
I have tried moving the missions around between 4.5 and 5.0.1 and stuff does get lost...or transposed. Nav point and ships move, change objectives or simply vanish. Some of the mods I have from 4.5 don't work right in 5, or just don't work at all.
From what I have seen in the error log nothing makes sense. I found that by accessing the file in editor and clicking on each event and element will correct the problem.
In the case of undefinded ships I just reselect to an alternate replacement.

This being the case, I imagine that milo ran into similar issues with intergrating the old campaign files into TGS.

"Don't give up the ship!"
-Captain James Lawrence

Dragonlead

Post by Dragonlead »

This does not sound promising at all. Thanks for the heads up.

V/R
USAF Ret.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I hope you consider making compatible versions for all relevant versions (4.5 and 3.9.4)

MekWars
Adonnay

Post by Adonnay »

I think campaign files are abstract enough to work on both versions... you have to rename some of the ships though for v4.5 since freighters i.e. have new names since 5.0.
Dragonlead

Post by Dragonlead »

Some things won't work in the older versions though. Take for instance the following pictures:

Notice that on the ship and asteroids there appear to be 2 different light sources. That's because this is an asteroid field in a BINARY star system. The next shot shows the primary star (which is a blue-white F star). See next post.
The last shot (in the 3rd post) is from the companion M star (a small dim red.) But notice the lighting effects.
Attachments
A1.jpg
A1.jpg (95.49 KiB) Viewed 360 times
USAF Ret.
Dragonlead

Post by Dragonlead »

Picture 2

Attachments
A2.jpg
A2.jpg (104.62 KiB) Viewed 360 times
USAF Ret.
Dragonlead

Post by Dragonlead »

Picture 3

V/R
Attachments
A3.jpg
A3.jpg (106.68 KiB) Viewed 361 times
USAF Ret.
Pheonix Starflare

Post by Pheonix Starflare »

This campaign is in the same storyline-universe as the 'official' campaigns? Is that ship from the 'good guys' or a new faction entirely?

Looks like it has fighter launch bays?
"An optimist sees a glass half full, a pessimist sees a glass half empty and an engineer sees a glass thats twice as big as it has to be."

"What do you get when you cross a chicken and and elephant? Chicken elephant sine(theta)"
Dragonlead

Post by Dragonlead »

Sorry...that's one of my own design. I use it as a test ship because I added a consumption value to the quantum drive and I can zip all over a system in no time. The ships will all be stock, as will the weapons. The names will change to protect the innocent. [:D]

Yes it is a carrier (think assault carrier, because anyone who gets within range is in for a NASTY shock).

V/R
USAF Ret.
Pheonix Starflare

Post by Pheonix Starflare »

Cool; I'm looking forward to your campaign!
"An optimist sees a glass half full, a pessimist sees a glass half empty and an engineer sees a glass thats twice as big as it has to be."

"What do you get when you cross a chicken and and elephant? Chicken elephant sine(theta)"
wdboyd

Post by wdboyd »

Zanthras,

I have teleported my "Raider Redux" static campaign missions into TGS. All of them seem to work properly. [;)]

The only problem I have encountered "thusfar" was the placement of my craft in the carrier deck. I had to modify my CV Justice flight deck settings to bring them down to the deck during takeoff. They were displayed floating a couple of meters above the deck. [:(]

There may be other problems but I haven't spent much time with them in TGS yet. [:D]
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils!"
Zanthras

Post by Zanthras »

ORIGINAL: wdboyd

Zanthras,

I have teleported my "Raider Redux" static campaign missions into TGS. All of them seem to work properly.

Glad to hear they successfully made the trans-dimensional shift.

it is true that some stuff does work just fine.

And if things do go wrong the fix is usually simple.

Just something one might want to be wary of, if one should be creating an entire campaign with the expectation of it working in both versions.
"Don't give up the ship!"
-Captain James Lawrence

Return to “Starshatter Modding Forum”