My July 1861 mod. (more historic)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and general game modding.

Moderator: Gil R.

Williamb

My July 1861 mod. (more historic)

Post by Williamb »

Here is my Mod. It changes the set up of the game for the July 1861 game.

Some of the changes are

Both sides have correct cavalry commanders

Union at start

I McDowell and H Halleck start as 3 stars.
B Butler, N Banks, A Burnside, G McClellan and DC Buell start as two stars.

Most other starting commanders are historical

Confederates

No Navy other than Blockade runners at start

J Johnson and AS Johnson are 3 stars
RE Lee, PT Beauregard, L Polk and B Bragg start as 2 stars.

Most other starting commanders are historical

Here first is the Commanders
Attachments
Commanders.txt
(90.33 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Williamb

RE: My July 1861 mod. (more historic)

Post by Williamb »

Next is the setup of the armies.

Attachments
AcwStart.txt
(16.87 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
Williamb

Post by Williamb »

Finally the set up of the buildings

Attachments
AcwStartBldgs.txt
(3.63 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
regularbird

Post by regularbird »

What changes did you make with the buildings and starting forces?
Williamb

Post by Williamb »

I added 1 academy to Albany NY to simulate West point and its benefits to the Union.

I renamed many of the armies and divisions. I moved the Union main army back to Washington DC instead of having it in contact in Northern Virginia.

I Moved two Confederate divisions into the hex with the the main Confederate corps in Northern Viginia to allow it to have more flexibility to form the Army of Nothern Virginia.

I also made some very slight moves involving a few loose Union Brigades in ohio out of the border with Kentucky.
Williamb

Post by Williamb »

Forgot to add I also edited to make most of the remaining generals come in as 1 star and their starting positions. Eastern Union generals will start at Washington and Western Union Generals will start at Springfield Ill.

Eastern Confederates will start at petersburg and western Confederate generals at Nashville.
jsaurman

Post by jsaurman »

Could you save all the modified files as a group and zip it up so we could download it and make the same modifications as you did?

Thanks,

JIM
will b

Post by will b »

Thank you William
bschulte1978

Post by bschulte1978 »

Guys,

William has graciously allowed me to host his mod at the Tredegar Iron Works site.  The permanent URL for the mod is:

William's Mod

LMUBill

Post by LMUBill »

I get a "404 Not Found" error and a menu page for the entire site loads.
bschulte1978

Post by bschulte1978 »

ORIGINAL: LMUBill

I get a "404 Not Found" error and a menu page for the entire site loads.

Bill,

I fixed it. I'm still getting used to the way Textpattern works. I now know that I need to use absolute URLs. Anyone who tried unsuccessfully earlier should now be able to get the files. Sorry for the mix-up.
LMUBill

Post by LMUBill »

ORIGINAL: William Amos

I added 1 academy to Albany NY to simulate West point and its benefits to the Union.

Does that mean you should also add one to Shenandoah to simulate VMI? [:D]
Williamb

Post by Williamb »

Well VMI is an academy while West Point was the training spot for the entire US army.

A bit of difference there.
LMUBill

Post by LMUBill »

Well VMI is an academy while West Point was the training spot for the entire US army.

Yeah but to read some accounts the only good troops that the CSA had were the boys from VMI. Of course these same accounts were written by bad generals who got most of those VMI boys killed in combat.... [;)]

And in the mid 19th century West Point was basically an engineering school run by the Army... [:)]
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

Not quite accurate.

West Point is (and was) indeed a Federal institution for the training of regular Army officers. In pre-Civial War days, the Army was small and West Point filled the need quite well.

VMI is a state institution. It provided officers for the Virginia Militia and guarded a strategic depot in the Shenendoah valley. At the time, the Virginia Militia was not that much smaller than the regular Army -- so too VMI filled the need quite well. Furthermore, due to this mission, VMI trained its students to be citizen-soldiers, not regular Army officers. The typical VMI grad of the time was gainfully employed as a lawyer, planter, doctor, merchant, engineer -- and a member of the Virginia Militia too. Much like our Army Reserve and National Guard operates today.

VMI's first graduating class was in the early 1840's. So by the time the Civil War broke out, the oldest VMI grads were under 40. There were less than 1000 of them in 1861. They filled company and field grade officer billets in the Virginia Militia. VMI simply hadn't been around long enough, nor did it have the mission, to create generals for the regular Army.

So, to what effect? Stonewall Jackson (a professor at VMI) raised the Stonewall Brigade in the Shenandoah valley. That unit, and many other units raised in Virginia, had a distinct advantage. The lower ranking officers in those brigades who were (early on) VMI grads actually had some idea of what they were doing. Compared to, say, a typical Union brigade whose company and field grade officers had no military experience or training whatsoever. During the war, VMI continued to produce young officers, but perhaps as importantly they were a training cadre for recruits in Richmond. In my opinion, much of the South's early victories in the east were due to a professional cadre of junior officers that knew their business. Jackson felt the same way. Prior to the battlefield at Chancellorsvilleon May 2, 1863, he was surrounded by former students and colleagues from his years at VMI; they were now his officers and comrades-in-arms. Overcome by emotion, Jackson said, "the Institute will be heard from today."

Regards,
Feltan (VMI graduate.)

christof139

Post by christof139 »

VMI and the other military schools in the South did produce many leaders including those of general rank. They were very important and successful. I would rank VMI as being the equivalent of West Point easily. It was a big school.

Also, I am using W. Amos' mod and it works fine.

Thanx!!!,

Chris

'What is more amazing, is that amongst all those approaching enemies there is not one named Gisgo.' Hannibal Barcid (or Barca) to Gisgo, a Greek staff officer, Cannae.
That's the CSS North Carolina BB-55
Boris Badanov, looking for Natasha Goodenov
Maltsensation

Post by Maltsensation »

I have downloaded your 1861 mod. A few questions.

I am a real novice when it comes to mods and am unfamiliar with file placement. Where do your files need to be placed to work properly? (I don't want to mess this up)

Is there a way to add it to the scenario selection list? (as an alternate choice)
rook749

Post by rook749 »

Deleted cause I found a mistake with my post.

Rook
RyanCrierie

Re: My July 1861 mod. (more historic)

Post by RyanCrierie »

Recovered from Internet Archive
Attachments
william-amos-july-1861-scenario.zip
(50.25 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”