Future Plans for TOAW-expansions?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Skeleton

Future Plans for TOAW-expansions?

Post by Skeleton »

Forgive me if this has been brought up before of if any of the similar themed threads touch on this, but has there been any thought or consideration put toward the idea of releasing expansion/companion packages that would cover various engagements or wars that could possibly serve as a linked campaign? Bob Cross's N. Africa as an example, only with a linked aspect (ie, to continue you must complete). Or even releasing following editions of TOAW, using SSG's games as an example, concentrating on entire wars or aspects of a war, in depth? Given the popularity of the big scenarios and given the magnificent overhaul of the PO, breaking down these larger conflicts into smaller more managable theaters seems as if it is a next logical step. Any insight into what plans, these or others, that Matix has for this excellent game would be most appreciated, thank you.
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
golden delicious

RE: Future Plans for TOAW-expansions?

Post by golden delicious »

Everything except linked campaigns basically just means more scenarios.

The trouble is that designing a good TOAW scenario takes a huge amount of time. There's no way Matrix could afford to pay even minimum hourly wage for a designer to produce a large scenario due to the size of the market. In any case a scenario designed to order is likely to be less rigorous than a labour of love. So this leaves just buying scenarios people have developed for their own reasons. I don't see how this benefits the users- presumably such scenarios would be released by their designers anyway.

Linked campaigns can already be done if you have a GM. For example;

http://www.tdg.nu/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1155997133
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

Thank you Mr. Delicious, I appreciate the response. How do you see TOAW growing or rather, if and when there is a TOAW 4, what do you see it being or containing? Again, any response is most welcome.
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: Marcus the leper

Thank you Mr. Delicious, I appreciate the response. How do you see TOAW growing or rather, if and when there is a TOAW 4, what do you see it being or containing? Again, any response is most welcome.
Marcus,
We're working on the next enhancement, with a couple more down the pipe. I think you'll like it. More than that, we aren't ready to talk about yet.

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick
We're working on the next enhancement . . . Ralph

Prior to the release of TOAW III and the following updates, James gave us a number of hints and teasers . . . do it again please!

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

Well, if you want more and better scenarios (which seems to be the case), then the scenario editor should be made more user-friendly and more powerful. Various force-level factors could be set by designer-defined map regions. The capacity to program the PO could be improved. Formations could be subordinated to other formations, and this function could be used to control co-operation. More things which are currently fixed should be changeable both in the editor and by event. It could be possible to just type in the number of km per hex and the number of 6 hour units per turn, and have the game calculate movement values etc. based on a set of formulae.

There are a number of improvements to gameplay to make as well. An improvement to the rounds system, originated by Rhinobones, has been discussed in many places so I won't repeat it here. The effectiveness of unsupplied artillery has been discussed at TDG and a solution devised. The impact of battle on supply could be scaled to the size of the enemy stack. The player could be allowed to define zones of operation for each air unit (with the current full range being the default), with its area being inversely proportional to its effectiveness.

These should all be changes which can be made evolutionarily from TOAW III. I don't want yet another release. Why are people talking about TOAW IV when a lot of players are complaining that they already had to pay $40 for a patch?
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

Well I am not one of them and it is because people complain too often about what they do not have and what they cannot get instead of finding joy it that which they do have. I thank you all for the information and can't express my joy enough with this "forty dollar patch"! Keep up the great work.
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

Well I am not one of them and it is because people complain too often about what they do not have and what they cannot get instead of finding joy it that which they do have. I thank you all for the information and can't express my joy enough with this "forty dollar patch"! Keep up the great work.

Hear hear!
I'm fairly new to TOAW... tried out the demo once, then forgot about it till I came upon the Matrix release when looking for something more flexible than good ol' War In Russia.
$40 well spent which provided me -and will keep doing so- with hours and hours of "fun" (have to be careful how to use that word [:D])

There can be things improved yep, for me some interface stuff can be useful, but I fully understand that there's nothing like a quick fix for most of the issues raised.

I'm happy with what I've got and look forward to what might be in the works... Just let's not push the people how are trying to work out how to implement changes from the huge wish list...

The TOAW Redux Dude
a white rabbit

Post by a white rabbit »

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

Everything except linked campaigns basically just means more scenarios.

The trouble is that designing a good TOAW scenario takes a huge amount of time. There's no way Matrix could afford to pay even minimum hourly wage for a designer to produce a large scenario due to the size of the market. In any case a scenario designed to order is likely to be less rigorous than a labour of love. So this leaves just buying scenarios people have developed for their own reasons. I don't see how this benefits the users- presumably such scenarios would be released by their designers anyway

..wot 'e said..
..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,
TOCarroll

Post by TOCarroll »

I definitely got my $40 worth, and then some. Everything coming down the pike is lagnappe (free goodies-something Matrix is pretty generous with.[:D]
"Ideological conviction will trump logistics, numbers, and firepower every time"
J. Stalin, 1936-1941...A. Hitler, 1933-1945. W. Churchill (very rarely, and usually in North Africa). F. D. Roosvelt (smart enough to let the generals run the war).
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

or even if we need to pony up for an add on, bring it on
"Tanks forward"
a white rabbit

Post by a white rabbit »

..nice if t3 owners get a reduced price.[:)]..

..but no, i don't think there are any plans for TOAW-expansions, it's not that sort of game and could it get much wider in scope anyway [&:]..

..there are however many plans for toaw improvement/refinement..
..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”