OT: how would you do, battle for somalia.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wild_Willie2

OT: how would you do, battle for somalia.

Post by wild_Willie2 »

Hi there.

I just read about the current trifle in Somalia between the clerics supported irregulars from Mogadishu and the Ethiopian supported "official" government in Baidoa.

Apparently, the irregulars are preparing an attack on the battalion strength entrenched Ethiopians in Baidoa.

Baidoa has been a stronghold for several warlords for years, and I expect it to have some fortifications from this period. Also the Ethiopians have had months to dig in and prepare their defences with mines, trenches and interlocking fields off fire for their machine guns. As the Ethiopians already fought a year’s long war with Eritrea in mountainous terrain, I expect them to be quite good at preparing defences in mountainous terrain, as is around Baidoa.
Unfortunately, I was unable to find a topographical map of Baidoa, so I am unable to see the defensive suitability of the local terrain, but I expect it to be high.

The clerics have sent a large number of irregulars to Baidoa, to “destroy” the Ethiopian invaders. I expect these troops to be badly trained for regular warfare against an entrenched opponent, as almost all of their previous fighting has been hit and run raids in urban environments against similar opponents. I also expect these troops to be badly organised, equipped and supplied being irregulars as they are. I don’t dare to speculate on the irregulars qat addiction levels, but I expect it to be high.

So here we have a battalion size force of properly trained troops, lead by combat experienced commanders, well entrenched in defensive terrain being attacked by a force with superior numbers but sparse training and equipment.

If the cleric troops try for a direct assault, they will most likely suffer heavy casualties for little gain. They could try to surround Baidoa and starve the defenders out, but I think that the Ethiopian AF will almost certain be able to supply the city from air.

This scenario has the classic ingredients for a long standoff…

Your thoughts on this imminent battle are welcome.

Attachments
battleground.jpg
battleground.jpg (79.68 KiB) Viewed 132 times
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
Yamato hugger

RE: OT: how would you do, battle for somalia.

Post by Yamato hugger »

I would send my Dinahs in to look things over first.
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

[:D][:D][:D][:D] I don't think the somalies HAVE an airforce, not even a dinah [;)].....
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
tacticon

Post by tacticon »

I would bomb Baidoa's resources for a month and then switch to ground attack. Wait two or three months for their disruption, fatigue to increase and moral to drop from being out of supply. Then I would advance with a well rested combat unit, with combat engineers to reduce fortications and a corp hq that were fully prepped. Once my troops reached Baidoa, I would order a deliberate assault ever other turn until the forts were removed then I would shock attack with the persue option.
Tacticon

What if there were no hypothetical situations?
scott64

Post by scott64 »

No, no, no, you want to paradrop troops into Gaalkayco, then march them towards Dhuu...... All at the same time an aasault is being done on Marka. [:)][:'(]
Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/
kilowatts

Post by kilowatts »

try http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/somalia.html for some maps of Somalia. There's a large scale map of Baidoa.

IMHO there's too much ground for a single battalion to hold and the clerics won't be drawn into a force-on-force engagement. They'll just sit there and chip away at the Ethiopians. Eventually the Ethiopians will leave.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I think the Viet Minh played this scenario at Bien Dien Phu.

Old fashioned siege, control the airfield, a couple of SAM to scare off the Ethiopean Air Force.

Crack their morale.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
skrewball

Post by skrewball »

You could always take your armored division and drive a complete circle around them, thereby changing the ZOC to your forces. Then, they can't retreat. [:D]

OR

Two Words: Nuclear Fission [:D]
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

Return to “General Discussion”