Boring Game as the CSA Player

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

XLegion

Boring Game as the CSA Player

Post by XLegion »

I can't speak for human to human play but I can say that playing the CSA sure is boring. Holy Cow! In the east my forces just seem to do whatever I please and the AI doesn't do a darn thing! I've had divisions and brigades move all over Maryland, invade Pennsylvania "just for something to do".

The AI is not very impressive let me tell you. Maybe I should switch over to the Union player. What has been the experience of other players?

At first I was amazed how complex this game seemed. I don't think so now.

Another thing I really hate is the "looking for the enemy" on the tactical battlefield. By the time you get to the tactical part of the fighting the armies should already have a good idea of where the enemy. This searching all over the map for the enemy army doesn't make any sense.

XLegion

Malagant

RE: Boring Game as the CSA Player

Post by Malagant »

Another thing I really hate is the "looking for the enemy" on the tactical battlefield. By the time you get to the tactical part of the fighting the armies should already have a good idea of where the enemy. This searching all over the map for the enemy army doesn't make any sense.

I'm sure that's what Pope thought right before Jackson was in his rear...

There are game options to start Near (for those of you who want the immediate gratification) and Far (for those of us who enjoy operational level maneuver).

I recommend you start there. :)
"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"
steveuk

Post by steveuk »

ORIGINAL: XLegion

I can't speak for human to human play but I can say that playing the CSA sure is boring. Holy Cow! In the east my forces just seem to do whatever I please and the AI doesn't do a darn thing! I've had divisions and brigades move all over Maryland, invade Pennsylvania "just for something to do".

The AI is not very impressive let me tell you. Maybe I should switch over to the Union player. What has been the experience of other players?

At first I was amazed how complex this game seemed. I don't think so now.

XLegion

You could try NEAR START in the set up options. That normally starts both armies within a move of each other. Also if you have a decent leader you can RECON the battlefield which shows the enemies position.

As for it being boring.....I always play the CSA and under constant attack, certainly in Fredericksburg. What difficulty setting do you play at?

EDIT: You beat me too it Malagant [X(]
It is well that war is so terrible; else we would grow too fond of it.
Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: XLegion

XLegion

XLegion, here are the key points to bear in mind:
1) The two sides always enter the detailed battle map at roughly opposite ends, so you will always know which general direction to strike off in to look for the enemy. (I believe it's lower-left and upper-right.)
2) If you're on the defensive, you don't necessarily need to look for the enemy, since they'll find you. If you're on the offensive, in addition to #1, look for the victory hexes, since the enemy will be defending those.
3) On the Options screen when you begin the game you have the option of having the two sides appear closer or farther apart, and if you choose the former sometimes you'll begin in view of the enemy (though this is less likely in terrain that blocks line of sight).
4) If you have cavalry units these can be used to search 20 hexes or so at a time, and will very quickly locate the enemy.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Joram

Post by Joram »

I too have noticed a pretty passive AI in the east but I'm still at relatively low settings.  On the other hand, I've found the AI almost suicidely aggressive west of Cumberland.  In all cases, the AI sure likes to build forts like mad!  I've even seen them build them in the Potomac.  Guess the level 3 forts there weren't enough!

As everyone else has said, "Near" start is useful for tac-combat.  Actually, I would go a little further and say it's a must if you plan to play the Union.  After I had a battle start relatively late in the day and I had to trapse halfway across the world just to find the enemy, just for my side to route because time had moved to the next day ... I quit the game and changed options to "near" start.  :p

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”